Question for any MOT testers on the forum

paul1966

I have my MOT coming up in a months time, whilst doing an oil change today i noticed the exhaust outer skin is breaking up, the inner skin is still intact and its not blowing, am i right in thinking it will be an advisory rather than a fail?

DSC_0315.JPG

Thanks so reading that as long as its not leaking which it's not it should pass. 

Although after looking online its £60 for a new exhaust so i might just get it replaced anyway, i am keeping the car for a few more years hopefully

Edited by paul1966

Strictly speaking it is an advisory as if you say its not leaking gases .... 

But it's down to " testers discretion" so what 1 tester might pass & advise another may fail on the basis of it's not leaking gases but it may be structurally weakened enough to fail as he can can test corrosion by finger pressure or by" light tapping or scraping " with the c.a.t ( corrosion assessment tool .. or as we call it the toffee hammer)

Edited by hodge911

47 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

A nice shiny new exhaust arrived today, surprised how much it weighs, plan to fit it after our holiday in a couple of weeks. Its only two bolts to undo but i bet they will be rusted solid! 

Use new bolts, then you can grind/cut off the old ones and save loadsatime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2021 at 16:41, db135 said:

I’ve been a mot tester since 1999 and that’s pass and advise 

Ditto since 1985 but unfortunately you'll know that vosa have what they call "grey areas" and one of their favourite sayings is as I said "testers discretion".

In stead of just saying that's a pass or that's a fail .

We once had a guy come to us that had been to his local ford dealer for his mondeo st to be tested , car was only 5/6 yrs old and the fail sheet was like war and peace . We went through it and only agreed on the fact 2 tyres were too low on tread . 

It stunk to high heaven of profiteering as they had even failed all 4 coil springs for being rusty  along with all 4 shocks being rusty .

Now we never tell people to report the tester / station to vosa as we believe it's putting someone's livelihood at risk but in this instance we advised him to do none of the repairs and put a complaint into vosa as the accompanying estimate for repairs supplied alongside the failure was a fortune and like I say stunk to high heaven of them trying to rip him off ....

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

Ditto since 1985 but unfortunately you'll know that vosa have what they call "grey areas" and one of their favourite sayings is as I said "testers discretion".

In stead of just saying that's a pass or that's a fail .

We once had a guy come to us that had been to his local ford dealer for his mondeo st to be tested , car was only 5/6 yrs old and the fail sheet was like war and peace . We went through it and only agreed on the fact 2 tyres were too low on tread . 

It stunk to high heaven of profiteering as they had even failed all 4 coil springs for being rusty  along with all 4 shocks being rusty .

Now we never tell people to report the tester / station to vosa as we believe it's putting someone's livelihood at risk but in this instance we advised him to do none of the repairs and put a complaint into vosa as the accompanying estimate for repairs supplied alongside the failure was a fortune and like I say stunk to high heaven of them trying to rip him off ....

I had the same thing with Ford, took my car in for a service and MOT and they came back with list of faults as long as your arm, all before they did the MOT, which I cancelled.

I took it to a trusted garage (family member uses), he checked all on the list and only 1 thing needed to be done. There must have been 20 things on the list.

And as you say the price from Ford for the repairs that didn't need doing was more than the car was worth, quite a bit more.