slough council

armsid

1 hour ago, armsid said:

Slough Borough  Council has issued a section 114 notice effectively declaring that they are bust What are the implications and who is to blame

Who is to blame? 

Well central Government funding that goes to Local Authorities has been hugely cut from past levels. 

A few years ago I was in Bristol council, I know Bristol had to cut their spending by something like £80,000,000 a year. 

When councils have had years of spending at a certain level and then receive those sorts of cuts it’s clearly going to have a big impact. 

They tried to maintain essential services, eg. Funding schools, social services (care home fees and home care for the old and vulnerable) and children’s social services. 

Anything considered ‘non essential’ was stopped, eg cutting the grass. 

A lot of councils had investments and savings from past years when times were good. A lot of councils have been running in a deficit for several years. 

It’s not as simple as West Minster bailing them out. 

A lot of councils have gone bankrupt. What normally happens is some central Government bod comes down, points fingers and says “close that” and entire departments just disappear. Teams get merged and the staff have to pick up any slack. 

They will do this until they are back under budget. 

Services will suffer, staff will have to pick up a lot more work. 

Most councils pleads poverty, Bucks CC were near bankrupt a few years back, oddly enough they had recently spent £36,000 on an opening ceremony for the new Aylesbury theatre, it was to cost £25 million to build (actual cost was £47 million) and their initial consultation with the people of Aylesbury to decide if the tax payers wanted a new theatre attracted 25 people. The £36,000? A back patting gathering of limp wristed council middle management types, a bit of glitz and glamour and Ronnie Barkers wife. TBH, not all the money came from the Tax payer, the council thought it would be a good idea to sell off a chunk of very profitable land in the Town centre that had provided good rental returns for nearly a hundred years and use some of that money.

Edited by bruno22rf

Hello, Abingdon Town council spent £1.3 million of tax payers money to refurb the swimming pool which is shut due to lack of funds, I could not understand this cost when very little was done on the refurb, maybe they now have meetings by the other pool at a councilors home funded by the over estimated cost , they will not even allow volunteers to run it, I bet any money with these virtual meetings they still put in a expense claim, I know someone on a village council and one is surprised how much they claim,