Backyard fox

Hi lads our son is a very keen gardener he is having trouble with foxes in garden I would go down there and sort it but it in middle of a large town there first light playing in the vegetable patches he is thinking of packing up but he loves it garden he works 12 hours shifts when he as days of he does one day fishing the other 3 days garden what can he do please.

Thanks for looking tony

I expect it'll be an ongoing problem, if you remove a couple there will soon be others.

There seems to be many suggestions of things you can do to deter them, peeing around the boundary is often suggested but I never found that works with urban foxes (probably too used to the smell!)

Personally I would suggest fencing them out of the veg patch. Something like a fruit cage with good quality chicken wire around the bottom. It might seem and expensive faff but then it'll also keep the birds off fruit etc so might be worth the investment.

Not knowing the excat set up it is always difficult to be precise but I have shot a number of foxes in rear gardens for people from their bedroom windows with a silenced .22RF

Only ever had one problem where a particularly strong fox managed to get through the fence to next door but was met by two anti fox golden retrievers which finished the job. The dogs owners thought his dogs had killed it.

As always, safety safety safety...background background background.

2 hours ago, snow white said:

For me to shoot them it would mean stopping over night as it’s hundred and fifty miles away would snares work I can give him some next week when he visits

Snares may catch it, but then he’s got a live fox in a snare in his garden, which still needs dealing with. 
If neither you nor him can do it then he needs to contact someone locally who can. 

15 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

If you cant shoot just trap them you haven't got kill them just drive out to the outer limits of the town and release 

They’ll be back if you  take them just a few miles away. Trap and dispatch. There’ll be plenty of people who will dispatch 

Edited by Fisheruk

Plenty of advice but without knowing the location it is a job to say what is the best option , can other people see in the garden ? , if they can then I wouldn't advise snaring , you never know who is watching and believe or not a lot of people like to see Fox's at fairly close quarters , if you did use a humane trap then would you be allowed to release a wild animal back into the wild ? , best to ask a professional pest controller for advise before taking any action .