Camera Tripod as an air rifle rest ?

sam triple

Hi as above has anyone used one ? If so what mods have you made to it to get it to work ? Primos look good but a bit expensive as I only want it in the squirrel hide as my 9 year old daughter wants to come out with me , I’m thinking holding a rifle up to take a shot may be to much for her , cheers 

I bought a new camera tripod for about 17  quid of Ebay and Primos yoke for a tenner. Use it with .22 air, .22 rimfire & .17 hmr when I'm on the rabbits and I want a low shooting positing behind a sniper/ camo net. Its so much better than using my Primos in a tight space. Lighter & smaller than my Primos sticks. Wouldn't be without it now. 

15 minutes ago, telbert said:

I bought a new camera tripod for about 17  quid of Ebay and Primos yoke for a tenner. Use it with .22 air, .22 rimfire & .17 hmr when I'm on the rabbits and I want a low shooting positing behind a sniper/ camo net. Its so much better than using my Primos in a tight space. Lighter & smaller than my Primos sticks. Wouldn't be without it now. 

I take it mating threads are the same then ?

31 minutes ago, telbert said:

Have you a link for the eBay tripod ?

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if you don't want  adjustable height shooting sticks, look at some garden poles with one of Mel and Lins leather Yoke, I think my old adjustable set are Bisley , tripod but I use as a bipod , cheers

Hello, is that with your 110 Sam ?

The primos sticks can be a touch awkward setting up in a hide but give great support, might be tight with two of you in the hide, they might also not go low enough for your daughter. something else for you to look at is the rollers people use for fishing.

I'll try and find the post I read about them on.

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

I take it mating threads are the same then ?

No, the tripod is 1/4 & the yoke is 3/8 iirc,i had to get a pack of 3 adaptors online.I think they were about 3 quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380716541010?_trkparms=aid%3D1110018%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.COMPLI

This is the ones, although they're cheaper on Amazon

This is the type of tripod, even cheaper now: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402730017300?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5dc4946214:g:aeYAAOS

I used an old tripod and made a rest to go on top. Mainly used either from the landing window or from one of my hides or the pop up TP.  Works a treat and the rifle sits there patiently waiting.  The legs extent full hieght if required.

005.jpg

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I used an old tripod and made a rest to go on top. Mainly used either from the landing window or from one of my hides or the pop up TP.  Works a treat and the rifle sits there patiently waiting.  The legs extent full hieght if required.

005.jpg

Brilliant, thanks