Hush power silencer fitting, 10 inch model for a single 12 Bore,

Hello, as above, old BSA single made in Italy, , with raised rib, 28 inch barrel,  full/choke , want to reduce to 24 inch and fit this Hushy , so 4 inch off barrel but how much more off raised rib ?, and how far does the barrel go in ? , would like the back of silencer to butt up against rib, called Hushy makers and they said if reducing by 4 inch then extra 4 inch off rib ? to allow for dismantling , any thoughts if you have fitted one, a friend fitted one on a single 12 without rib , would it be better to get same model rather than cut mine, found a decent Baikal for a tenner, but with RFD costs, cheers, 

Hi 

you may find you need to shorten to the rib attachment look before you cut !! 
this may mean that you can only take 3….31/2 inches off the barrel 

personally wouldn’t go to the full 24 as it’s a argument waiting to happen with your renewal 

a cheap one without the rib is a better option far easier 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Hi 

you may find you need to shorten to the rib attachment look before you cut !! 
this may mean that you can only take 3….31/2 inches off the barrel 

personally wouldn’t go to the full 24 as it’s a argument waiting to happen with your renewal 

a cheap one without the rib is a better option far easier 

Hello, I can do 24 1/2 inch no problem , the Baikal would be ideal but can't be bothered on RFD ing , and what to do with my BSA ?

I have the Hushpower sound moderator fitted to my Beretta 391, Ureka 2, it was threaded onto an extended 1/2 choke with enough wall thickness to take the extra threading, so it can be easily removed and the gun returned to standard chokes. 

I use it in areas near housing or main roads , it reduces the bang to a subsonic level and removes the need for ear defenders , but it is not silent and still has a fairly loud retort.

Disadvantage for me is the added weight on the barrel end making fast manoeuvres a bit more clumsy, also the diameter of the modulator makes the top rib redundant as a sighting aid, and sighting becomes more instinctive , it took some getting used to but eventually my hit rate returned to normal percentages,

The other thing to remember is not to use plastic wads, which get shredded as they pass through the moderator resulting in small fragments falling back down the barrel and jamming the the gun completely, something I found out to my cost as I had to manage a full strip and clean while sitting in the hide , watching birds land and leave from the decoy pattern. (very frustrating)

So I think it was well worth it to access more shooting land but a slight disadvantage in other ways.