Everyone's favourite....... WASPS

Mice!

I know how popular wasps are on here, about two weeks ago I decided to cut out a cherry tree, or part of it, there are a cherry and a Rowan that grow by my garage that provides cover for a bird feeder, they had got carried away so needed trimming back, plus the Cherry as always was covered in black fly, making everything including the feeder sticky. 

It was a spur of the moment decision late one evening,  out came the pruning saw, lots of shaking of the tree, cut a few bits out, few wasps around and bang one got me, my own fault being in shorts and t-shirt. 

Gave the area a good blast with the hose pipe, but reinforcements had arrived so I left it.

I returned about half eleven,  chop chop and done.

Next day I cleared away and shredded the branches that I could, but despite looking couldn't see where the wasps were coming from so decided they must just have been feeding on the aphids. 

Wrong, I moved a small insect house, just tucking it out the way.

20210705_220331.jpg.51e7c68817fd01afa8abef7370682bc2.jpg

This was on the 30th, there should be 9 holes in the front.

20210705_220346.jpg.c27191b4284e4b2c18fdbbcf8c28c3eb.jpg

This was this afternoon,  busy little critters aren't they, this is one step off the patio, against the garage on the floor.

Reading this in the stalls at work and felt that small twitch when your hair moves....immediate thought was WASP!! near slapped my own head off my own shoulders so thanks for that.

If you are getting rid of it just do it late at night. Get it into a bin bag and rewild them round the nearest "Anti's" back garden after giving the bag a good shake.

I had a bag of shredded paper in the shed to top up the dogs /ferrets bed opened the shed last week and there was a huge wasp feeding off the paper i went to kill it and it couldn't fly it was like it was drunk .Binned the shredded paper back to wood shavings 

I knew the response would burn them 😅😅

9 hours ago, Scully said:

As a small lad I remember a neighbour was forever doing the rounds getting rid of wasps nests, he would then use the grubs for fishing. 

My old fella was always made up if he could get wasp grubs.

8 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Reading this in the stalls at work and felt that small twitch when your hair moves....immediate thought was WASP!! near slapped my own head off my own shoulders so thanks for that.

If you are getting rid of it just do it late at night. Get it into a bin bag and rewild them round the nearest "Anti's" back garden after giving the bag a good shake.

Very sorry 😆😆 I won't be getting rid of them, I know they won't do any harm where they are, but can be easily dealt with if they do, we've had wasps in pretty much the same area before without any issues. 

6 hours ago, discobob said:

So that one that landed behind my ear lobe and stung me without me knowing it was there until it stung done it because I didn't leave it alone????

That was an attack done, run and hide they have found you.

Wasps are quite handy this time of year. It’s when they have completed their life cycle and get smashed up on fermenting fruit late July / August that they become a pain.

Deffo seems less about this year - probably because they can’t swim 😆

Get a garden spray pump and put some paraffin in, pup it up well and set the nozzle to fine spray, set up a light on the floor eg a candle or burning paper and spray away. Loads more fun than those shop bought products. 

If you want to up the excitement use petrol, and do your own risk assessment.  

Well, my son noticed wasps going in and out under the eaves above the front door and below his window, later I noticed them going into the eaves above his window as well in the peak - where there is supposedly a pest guard there 😞

I blame my son!!! His Lynx must be attracting them 🤣

Wasp nest killer ordered!!

Wasps are cool. The UK must suit them, as there are 7,000 species flying around here. And their sting could be a heck of a lot worse! Its close relative, the Western Yellowjacket, only makes a 2 on the Schmidt Pain Index, with the description 'Hot and smokey, almost irreverent. W.C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue'

I have always had access to some very powerful insecticides, most of which are banned now but I have never had anything more effective than Nippon Wasp Nest Destroyer Foam.

The nest is dead and inactive within 30 minutes, astonishingly good stuff. 

I don't kill every wasps nest I come across because they do a great deal of good controlling caterpillars etc but sometimes the nest is where they are a nuisance so have to go.

4 hours ago, 39TDS said:

don't kill every wasps nest I come across because they do a great deal of good controlling caterpillars etc but sometimes the nest is where they are a nuisance so have to go.

That's the thing, so long as it's not in the garage or house, and there's no issue then crack on.

Well, one of the nests has had two squirts of stuff that I got off ebay. The trouble is I can only spray where they are going into, and the nest must be in a void under a pitched roof above our hallway/front door. Checked this morning and activity seems to be down - but I need to check again.

The second nest will be in the attic as they are going into a peak on a false gable above a window. I have to go up ladders right by the first nest to get to the second - so nest 1 needs to go before I can do that

2 hours ago, discobob said:

Well, one of the nests has had two squirts of stuff that I got off ebay. The trouble is I can only spray where they are going into, and the nest must be in a void under a pitched roof above our hallway/front door. Checked this morning and activity seems to be down - but I need to check again.

The second nest will be in the attic as they are going into a peak on a false gable above a window. I have to go up ladders right by the first nest to get to the second - so nest 1 needs to go before I can do that

Spray it after dark when the wasps aren't active.