Winter Wheat Is Now Getting Attention.

marsh man

Today I had a ride around my home ground with heavy showers never far off , I started off by looking at some Winter Barley fields , yes there were a few pigeons on more or less each field I looked at but with no serious laid patches you know by past experience you would be up against it and you could possibly do as much , if not more harm to the field than the Pigeons by tramping about to get to where you might fire a few shots , even though the Barley is changing colour it still look like a couple of weeks or so before the combines are out and with the grim forecast over the next several days it could well be a longer than a couple of weeks .

Moving on down the track we have got a few fields of Winter Wheat and even though there were no laid bits the Pigeons still found a way in getting to the grain now forming in the ears , this Wheat field held the most I saw today before the heavy rain left me looking like a drowned rat and a fair way from my motor , with a bit of luck they will still be there the next time I take my gun with me and Wheat is a bit more dog friendly than Barley when it come to retrieving  , might well be worth having a look in your neck of the woods . GOOD LUCK . 

Great post!  round my way (Essex) I’ve noticed a lot of movement with farm machinery over the last week or so, barley fields have had a dramatic change in colour (mainly just the ears with the stems still very green) huge flat spots clearly visible with pigeon dripping into them, fields being cut for hay and covered with corvids and a sprinkling of pigeon, a field of osr that disappeared over night (I’m assuming for silage?) and a field of wheat again disappeared over night and ploughed/turned over the following day. I love seeing it all happening around this time of year 👌🏻

Sounds good MM, and funnily enough a mate got in touch yesterday to say that his winter barley is starting to receive attention. Unfortunately I can’t get to him until Friday, so am keeping my fingers crossed for fair weather until Saturday so I can get my work finished on Thursday and play on Friday. 🙂

59 minutes ago, clangerman said:

apart from a few on the rape now most are on the whole crop stubble despite a dead bird pattern yesterday and using every trick in the book very few decoyed but with the amount of birds flighting shot 88 so no complaints 

That was a first class bag of Pigeons clangerman , we all like to shoot pigeons but part of the satisfaction is finding them in the first place , once found you then have to devise a way to get the maximum amount of sport when you decide to have a go , Mr JDog mentioned one of the main ingredients on a previous thread and that was wind , no problem if you have got a tree or a hide in the middle of the field as you are not relying on a certain wind direction , but if you are restricted to one or two hedges and the wind is blowing in your face then it is highly unlikely you will not get the maximum result on the day , funny ole game this pigeon shooting lark:lol:

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

apart from a few on the rape now most are on the whole crop stubble despite a dead bird pattern yesterday and using every trick in the book very few decoyed but with the amount of birds flighting shot 88 so no complaints 

Why not put a report up?

Had a look round yesterday hoping that the Triticale had been cut, which it hadn`t, but noticed quite a few on the wires above short stemmed wheat with pigeons landing on top of the crop with wings outstretched getting at the milky grain. Will have to have a closer look today to see if there are any spots with open areas where tramlines converge to make it feasible for setting up and easy retrieves without trampling the crop. Weather forecast looks OK for Friday, so that`s my planned day to give it a go.

OB