Old Spanish Boxlock Ejector repair

Tooold2care

Hi.

I have been a member of Pigeon watch for many years and have enjoyed the content greatly. However, I have never had a lot to say, and my knowledge of Guns and shooting are minimal, so I don’t comment. I only shoot clays but have owned many different guns both O/U Semi-auto and S/S.

Now I need help please.  Today I purchased an old generic shop named Spanish S/S for only £95.

I thought it could be a project for the winter. I have never had a gun to pieces before and have already hit a couple of snags.

One of the Ejectors is damaged and I either need to repair it or renew it.

Are the Ejectors on old cheap Spanish guns interchangeable and where can I source one from?

The bores are ok, but the chambers are a bit rusty. I have whizzed a bronze brush around, and the rust is cleaning off but is there a compound I can safely use to help clean the rust off?

I want to strip it down but cannot get the action off the stock. I could grind a screwdriver down to fit he screws I suppose but is there a generic screwdriver I can buy to do the job as all my screwdrivers are too thick for the slot or too narrow to fill the slot and give a good purchase.

This is probably a one-time restoration, but I would like to bring this old gun up to a decent standard instead of turn it into a large paperweight.

Any help or information would be appreciated except for (Don’t do It )as I have already started🤡1268291736_injectore2.jpg.153c06b9b703c48153fe74e38397b183.jpg

I hope you do well with it, its a rewarding task.

I think £95 is a high price for an old Spanish but what do I know. Price is what you think its worth.

I would avoid proprietary rust eaters like jenolite as they can also eat metal. I would try something like Garlands heavy duty solvent cleaner or a diesel/parafine mix.

If you grind down a screwdriver beware it doesn't soften it with the heat.

As for replacement of injectors, sorry never done them.

Good luck

Don’t grind screwdrivers, file them.

Try oil on a Turks head brush to de-rust the chambers.

One of the ejectors broke in half on an old, 1974, Spanish box lock which I have used from new. Being a toolmaker, I was able to make a replacement. Unfortunately, I am unable to offer to help as I am now retired and have no machining facilities. Paying someone to do the work is probably uneconomical.

Repair the ejector, get the damaged end built with soft weld and re-profile, for the chambers get a length of ½ inch diameter dowel, run a saw cut down the length about 1 ½ inches, glue some dense foam around the dowel at that point then cut lengths of 800 grit emery cloth (1 ½” wide) and push into saw slot and rap around dowel, lap by hand or power drill, don't over do it and always start the lapping with the emery paper in the chamber.

You can buy proper hollow ground gunsmith screw drivers (turnscrews) but they are expensive, I would just hollow grind a screwdriver to fit.

43 minutes ago, London Best said:

Don’t grind screwdrivers, file them.

Try oil on a Turks head brush to de-rust the chambers.

One of the ejectors broke in half on an old, 1974, Spanish box lock which I have used from new. Being a toolmaker, I was able to make a replacement. Unfortunately, I am unable to offer to help as I am now retired and have no machining facilities. Paying someone to do the work is probably uneconomical.

I've ground all my screw drivers to fit and when they needed to be touched up

Chances of finding a pair or even a single extractor that will fit are very slim and unless you know a friendly gunsmith who has a lot of old "junk parts .

If you can find them a pair of blanks will out cost the gun and will need fitting and rimming , so welding with a mid carbon steel , filing up and hardening is your best bet 

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yes, but not knowing about heat treatment, Joe Public always gets them too hot.

Yes but if they are hardened correctly most DIY files wont file them >

43 minutes ago, Gunman said:

I've ground all my screw drivers to fit and when they needed to be touched up

Yep. Always grind my drivers on the bench grinder, just keep a tub of cold water and dip regular to keep cool.

For the OP, Dont know if he is still making and selling these but if you want a proper driver then demonwolf444 is your man….https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/374273-the-making-of-handmade-turnscrews/

Just a point on getting the screws out, unless you have a good driver you could end up damaging the screw slots as most of these screws will be very tight, remember some years ago watching a gunsmith tightening the screws on a restocked gun and he was using a brace for the final tightening.

Edited by old'un

Well unless it has maybe an extra long stock so you've saved the cost of that you've wasted £95. IMHO you be better taking the gun back showing the faulty ejector and getting a refund. Good almost little used Spanish boxlock ejectors on Holt's presently below in their "Buy It Now" sale of unsold lots. Harsh advice but I hope it is taken as good advice in good faith. 

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=XS0721++5623+&refno=++161347&saletype=

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=XS0721++5694+&refno=++161858&saletype=

Edited by enfieldspares

Thank you to everyone. Lots of useful information. This project is a bit like gambling. Dont bet more than you can afford to lose. This is something I have wanted to do for...40 years but never had the time or nerve. If it all goes south, so be it.  I have discovered that the other Ejector  is binding and jamming the one that is damage.  So I am investigating why.  As I say, if it all goes terribly wrong it is not the end of the Earth. I have taken onboard lots of your suggestions and  will hope to try re bluing, chequering and stock refinishing. If it ever all comes together I will post it here. ( But dont hold your breath)  Thank you all. 

Just a thought about drivers; have you considered using hex bits?

You can buy (albeit expensive) thin tip ones from Brownells, or grind your own from slightly oversized ‘blanks’.  Cheap and you if you get it wrong, just try another!

They aren’t the best, but are an easy and convenient way to get a good fit - especially if you may make the occasional mistake!

Update.

Last night while investigating the Ejector problem, the ejector mechanism in the forfend jammed ! 

So I took the gun back today😒

Thank you to all of you who  offered advise. 

My project has failed at the first hurdle but as they say "Lessons have been learned"  Cheap guns are nothing but trouble.

If you are near to Leicester and get it done this weekend I can GIVE you (and only you)...free...gratis...nada...zilch...a Spanish boxlock non-ejector if you bring along your SGC. Mechanically it is fine cosmetically it could do with a tidy up so may be a good project starter gun?

Edited by enfieldspares

12 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

If you are near to Leicester and get it done this weekend I can GIVE you (and only you)...free...gratis...nada...zilch...a Spanish boxlock non-ejector if you bring along your SGC. Mechanically it is fine cosmetically it could do with a tidy up so may be a good project starter gun?

Thank you. That is a most generous offer. Unfortunately I am over 3 hours / 150 miles away in Maidstone, Kent.

Once again. Thank you very much