Product quality

lampro

I have been a floor layer for 30 years, over the last 2 years the quality of materials  getting worse. Don't know if it's covid brexit or just bad manufacturing even the big boys like Karndean and Amtico are chucking some right rubbish out at the moment any thoughts as really thinking about stopping supplying as so much hassle with the products and just stick to fitting only

I fitted van gogh last week and the tolerance on the side of the planks was bad, karndean have stated that there tollarance is now a credit card thickness that is acceptable. They sent out a new batch and that was spot on just make sure the fitter checks it 

Clients picked a vinyll plank floor for an extension last year cant rem brand...the manufacturer recommended that the floor must be level to within 1mm for the guarantee to be valid....needless to say i took no part with this to the point even as main contractor i refused to laytex the floor ....my rule is if your supplying and fitting it your doing your own prep for it....floor to a mm is impossible!! And they know that!!

As said above, qc is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. My employer built their reputation on the quality of the finished product, but as the company has increased in size and demand for our products gets greater every day, the required standard has been reduced. Training and improvement of staff has been steadily worsening over the last few years, as overheads were reduced meaning we could only attract less skilled workers, with the inevitable effect on output. The company target used to be 99% passing qc, its now 95%, and the criteria for passing has been downgraded too. When I started 10 years ago, there were 3 full time qc technicians out of 40 staff, there's now 2 full and one part time out of 125 staff. Also, to attain 'expert' status, you were supposed to complete 7 years service with at least 5 years out of the 7 attaining the 99% pass rate. Now you are considered an expert after 4, pass rate 95%. A lot of the time served guys are absolutely devastated by what has happened and staff turnover has never been higher.

On 07/07/2021 at 22:03, millrace said:

Clients picked a vinyll plank floor for an extension last year cant rem brand...the manufacturer recommended that the floor must be level to within 1mm for the guarantee to be valid....needless to say i took no part with this to the point even as main contractor i refused to laytex the floor ....my rule is if your supplying and fitting it your doing your own prep for it....floor to a mm is impossible!! And they know that!!

Just had the same conversation with polyflor tech department they state no garrentee can be given to the lock lvt that's been fitted because the floor wasnt 0.3mm flat over a meter efing joke mate now canceled my future orders with them 

1 hour ago, lampro said:

Just had the same conversation with polyflor tech department they state no garrentee can be given to the lock lvt that's been fitted because the floor wasnt 0.3mm flat over a meter efing joke mate now canceled my future orders with them 

Even Audi door gaps cant keep to that tolerance on 1000 cars per day and that's with panels made with CNC press tools.