ENG v DEN

twenty

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew. that was nervy at times, but I think we played well against a very solid Danish team. Italy will be a tough prospect, but we've got players to hurt any team

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Sterling was truly awesome.

Amazing performance. To keep going for 120 minutes, drifting past subs who should have been fresher takes one heck of an engine!

Edited by chrisjpainter

50:50 penalty. Contact in the box. Didn’t win the ball. Wasn’t a big foul but I believe it was technically just about correct. 

Sterling effort. Pickford looks so weak. Can’t catch, kick or jump. But other than that is great 🤣 

Watched it with my eldest. Loved every stressful minute. Come on England. 

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

definitely not a penalty in my opinion but both sides were diving . My son was at the match, just waiting for the call to pick him up from the station. He will be hyper when he gets in

Before the tournament started all Teams were told that any contact in the box no matter how weak could end up with a spot kick, So the pen was a pen. Same as the yellow Harry got, was weak but again a raised hand was said at the start of the tournament, would be clamped down on 

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

Granted, but was it really deserved ?

Well with Schmeichel in goal we were never likely to win a shootout. I still don't think it was a fair penalty, a technical penalty perhaps but the game massively pivoted on it. Much the same as Grealish who has perfected the technique of swerving in front of a player and stopping so the player runs into his back.

Other than that it was a really good game, bags of commitment from both sides 

Edited by Vince Green

7 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I suppose the usual suspects will still find the negatives to bash England with.  To summarise our performance so far:

• We're in the final.
  • We've let in one goal in 6 games.
  • It's coming home

I like your optimism, but there's still Italy to go and they've looked great for the entire comp. 

Very weak penalty award, however we have had so many decisions go against us over the years we won’t complain.

Shaw, Walker & Rice were massive and never stopped running. Pickford needs to take a breath and just compose himself. 

Italy vs Spain was a decent game with Spain being the better team - in fact Italy we’re hanging on for penalties in extra time. It will be a good game on Sunday and we will need to put in another big performance  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 .

8 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

Granted, but was it really deserved ?

You trying to tell me Denmark deserved it more, based on last night? 20 shots from England to Denmark's 6. 10 shots on target to Denmark's 3. Less than half the number of fouls given away and 58% of the possession would suggest over 120 minutes the team that actually tried to win it deserved to go through. 

We even managed to finish with the right number of players on the pitch, which, thanks to their manager, the Danes aren't able to say! But I guess Stirling, Shaw and Walker had run them into the ground by the end - three players who were still on the charge in the 120th minute. And you're trying to say England didn't deserve to go through? Ho ho ho.

Although many think it was a soft penalty, I don't agree. Minimal contact on first tackle - barely touched his ankle, but the second tackle caught him high on his thigh and knocked him over. Penalty all day long.

Not a Sterling fan, but he has played his socks off this tournament and looked constantly dangerous. Harry Kane looks to be getting better and less rusty. Pickford looks to be a one weak link, with Walker's judgement being dire.

I don't imagine Italy would mind a soft penalty. They look a decent team and we will do well to beat them. That said, I think we will.

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

50:50 penalty. Contact in the box. Didn’t win the ball. Wasn’t a big foul but I believe it was technically just about correct. 

Sterling effort. Pickford looks so weak. Can’t catch, kick or jump. But other than that is great 🤣 

Watched it with my eldest. Loved every stressful minute. Come on England. 

Pickford would have saved that coal if the lineout had'nt jumped up like a bunch of morris dancers, he did manage to get a touch on it , but one goal in six games he's letting the side down and should be floged before the start of the next game perhaps ? 🙄

Whether they are football supporters or not there are some pretty mealy mouthed individuals spouting off on this thread.

England football has not been of any great interest to me for many years but I am right behind this team (apart from back passes). Except for a fifteen minute spell Denmark were defending. England were the better team by far and deserved to win.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

You trying to tell me Denmark deserved it more, based on last night? 20 shots from England to Denmark's 6. 10 shots on target to Denmark's 3. Less than half the number of fouls given away and 58% of the possession would suggest over 120 minutes the team that actually tried to win it deserved to go through. 

We even managed to finish with the right number of players on the pitch, which, thanks to their manager, the Danes aren't able to say! But I guess Stirling, Shaw and Walker had run them into the ground by the end - three players who were still on the charge in the 120th minute. And you're trying to say England didn't deserve to go through? Ho ho ho.

I'm not trying to tell anyone anything, i just merely asked, was it really well deserved ?