ENG v DEN

twenty

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Although many think it was a soft penalty, I don't agree. Minimal contact on first tackle - barely touched his ankle, but the second tackle caught him high on his thigh and knocked him over. Penalty all day

100% the right call. It was a penalty end of👍🏻

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

An own goal and an iffy penalty at best, not exactly a glittering performance. Kane needs replacing with a fence post, it would move around more. 

You do know that right next to the Danish captain was Sterling, so had he missed the ball sterling taps it in. And to put the ball into the 6yrd box at pace like that is exactly the right thing to do. The ball ends up in the net I couldn't care how it gets there 👍🏻

The one thing we did was control the game and it was us pulling the strings. The only goal we have conceded so far is from a perfect position free kick, can't ask for a better place, 20-25 yard out just off centre.. Pickford okay was a little out of position but the wall jumping blocked his view of the ball. All in all a great competition for us English fans and also the neutral. Some cracking games. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:
3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

An own goal and an iffy penalty at best, not exactly a glittering performance. Kane needs replacing with a fence post, it would move around more. 

You do know that right next to the Danish captain was Sterling, so had he missed the ball sterling taps it in. And to put the ball into the 6yrd box at pace like that is exactly the right thing to do. The ball ends up in the net I couldn't care how it gets there 👍🏻

Plus who slotted the pass through that set it all up  (a brilliant and underrated pass IMHO) ... Harry

9 hours ago, derbyduck said:

Pickford would have saved that coal if the lineout had'nt jumped up like a bunch of morris dancers, he did manage to get a touch on it , but one goal in six games he's letting the side down and should be floged before the start of the next game perhaps ? 🙄

I agree that the wall didn’t jump well. However Pickford was not alert to it and a top international keeper should be saving that. He got a touch on it as it was central to the goal and within range. I accept he is quite short (for an elite goal keeper) and only has little arms but even still you would be expecting him to keep that effort out. 

I would freely admit I have disliked Pickford as a goalkeeper for a considerable period (how he plays for Everton and England) so my bias may be colouring my view, I am impressed with the defence keeping a clean sheet and Pickford’s excellent shot stopping is central to that. However his kicking is poor and error prone, he is the weakest player in the starting 11. But for the first time in my life time England are in a final and he has been a considerable part of that success. 

Also as Schmiechel was man of the match, and a far superior goal keeper, Pickford was always going to look worse. If you are a shot stopping keeper behind the better team and do not facing many shots then it is hard for you to shine. 

7 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

And yet again the English fans make us look like utter idiots .. Laser pen pointed at schmiechel just before the penalty. And also been fined for booing the Danish anthem.. such a shame when it's been such a good tournament for all.

Don't worry, it won't be long and England will get whipped by Italy. Then everyone can get back to reminiscing about 1966 again 🇮🇹😂😂😂

50 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Don't worry, it won't be long and England will get whipped by Italy. Then everyone can get back to reminiscing about 1966 again 🇮🇹😂😂😂

Agree we need to move on from 66... And I'm hoping for a game Sunday, and to hold out against them. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

And yet again the English fans make us look like utter idiots .. Laser pen pointed at schmiechel just before the penalty. And also been fined for booing the Danish anthem.. such a shame when it's been such a good tournament for all.

My son who was at the match said the England fans were absolutely disgraceful and he's a Liverpool Fan so his bar is set pretty low to start with. He will be back there again on Sunday probably so see what happens then

6 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Getting threw on a own goal and a soft penalty  makes Scotland holding them to a nil nil draw a great result but nobodies mentioned it LOL 

Why stuff yourself with stale bread sticks when there's going to be steak to eat later? We got the job done and moved on. 

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Why stuff yourself with stale bread sticks when there's going to be steak to eat later? We got the job done and moved on. 

The own goal would of been sterlings had the defender missed it, and the pen was a pen. 

As you say, the job got done, final on Sunday to look forward to now...

11 hours ago, Vince Green said:

My son who was at the match said the England fans were absolutely disgraceful and he's a Liverpool Fan so his bar is set pretty low to start with. He will be back there again on Sunday probably so see what happens then

Aye wasnt it England fans that where banned from Europe ? fined for shining a laser at the other keeper before the penalty as well LOL 

24 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Aye wasnt it England fans that where banned from Europe ? fined for shining a laser at the other keeper before the penalty as well LOL 

Yeah very 'LOL'...almost as 'LOL' as waiting 23 years for a major tournament, then only scoring one goal in more than 270 minutes of football.

Italy are a decent side - make no mistake, but if we have a genuine go, I fancy our chances. If we go safety first, I fear we will get hit on the break and then Italy will shut up shop. We have the pace to get past two snail paced centre halves and we should attack them.

I think one big difference I think, between this team and those recently, is that this squad appear to have very little if no egos. I don't know if that's made a difference, but the likes of Beckham, Rooney, Lampard and others, seemed more like celebrities than footballers. The current squad seem more like footballers. 

Some people can't resist the chance to put down football and English fans. I've seen laser pens in use at many different sporting events not just football. Bad behavior from sports fans is nothing new and it's not just English football fans. Take a look at what happens in the USA when a team has won a sporting event, rioting and even cases of people being killed. I was in Germany when they won Italia 90, gangs took to the streets smashing up cars and vandalising property. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I think one big difference I think, between this team and those recently, is that this squad appear to have very little if no egos. I don't know if that's made a difference, but the likes of Beckham, Rooney, Lampard and others, seemed more like celebrities than footballers. The current squad seem more like footballers. 

You've just named 3 of England's best ever players…… Not sure where Lampard fits into the Celeb bit though, as that wasn't his style in his playing days.  Nevertheless, I think back then they all carried too much pressure from expectations of the '1966 drum banging media' , whereas to the the new guys, its just another competition👍 

11 minutes ago, KB1 said:

You've just named 3 of England's best ever players…… Not sure where Lampard fits into the Celeb bit though, as that wasn't his style in his playing days.  Nevertheless, I think back then they all carried too much pressure from expectations of the '1966 drum banging media' , whereas to the the new guys, its just another competition👍 

I wonder whether part of it is also that this England squad isn't made up of players who are stars in their domestic teams. Other than Kane and perhaps Sterling, who of the current England side would you say is the overtly prime force or the driving inspiration of their side? Whereas when you look back at past squads, so many of the players went from being the leaders/dominant players to being just another squad member in a squad full of such players.  

Either way, it's making a difference. This squad looks a much better team, even if the individual parts aren't as good as previous players

27 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Well it’s all subjective and it’s just my opinion. Personally I don’t know how Lampard ever got selected. 
I think it was the ‘wags’ issue and personal lives which seemed to me to attract more attention than the football, or at least as much, and Lampard married a tv celebrity as far as I recall. It all seemed to be Homes & Gardens, Cosmopolitan and Hello magazine features.
Like I said, it’s just my opinion. You’ll have yours. 🙂

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Well it’s all subjective and it’s just my opinion. Personally I don’t know how Lampard ever got selected. 
I think it was the ‘wags’ issue and personal lives which seemed to me to attract more attention than the football, or at least as much, and Lampard married a tv celebrity as far as I recall. It all seemed to be Homes & Gardens, Cosmopolitan and Hello magazine features.
Like I said, it’s just my opinion. You’ll have yours. 🙂

Wow, you don't know how Lampard ever got selected…………….  You obviously know very little about football!  I would suggest you look up his achievements 🥴