Driven shoot - New Zealand style!

Houseplant

The history is fairly straightforward. Non-indigenous species brought to this part of the world by early settlers for various reasons which have wreaked havoc on the local wildlife. In NZ, anything non-native or non-domesticated is a pest. In Aussie, it's a little more complicated. I believe deer are treated as game animals in some states with hunting seasons etc. I've shot quite a few feral cats when lamping for rabbits. At least we didn't get foxes in NZ! My personal view is that some of these animals, especially deer have a value as game animals and should be controlled rather than eradicated. Feral dogs is a new, but growing problem in NZ. They are likely pig hunting dogs gone feral. Given that the poor things have probably had a rough life and have been bred for aggression, they are not to be messed with. It's only a matter of time before a child gets injured or worse. I feel sorry for the dogs, but have no problem shooting them. 

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

The history is fairly straightforward. Non-indigenous species brought to this part of the world by early settlers for various reasons which have wreaked havoc on the local wildlife. In NZ, anything non-native or non-domesticated is a pest. In Aussie, it's a little more complicated. I believe deer are treated as game animals in some states with hunting seasons etc. I've shot quite a few feral cats when lamping for rabbits. At least we didn't get foxes in NZ! My personal view is that some of these animals, especially deer have a value as game animals and should be controlled rather than eradicated. Feral dogs is a new, but growing problem in NZ. They are likely pig hunting dogs gone feral. Given that the poor things have probably had a rough life and have been bred for aggression, they are not to be messed with. It's only a matter of time before a child gets injured or worse. I feel sorry for the dogs, but have no problem shooting them. 

Get a group of good blokes together, a couple bait stations and some nights out and sorted! 

On 08/07/2021 at 10:30, Houseplant said:

Quite. Were the goats introduced? 
A mate who’s daughter lives out in NZ, has been trying to emigrate for years, and whenever he visits always gets to go on a pig hunt. He has visions of living in a utility type truck and just living off the land. He has the truck, just can’t emigrate at the moment.

Its a while since I’ve seen him so I don’t know how he’s getting on regards that. 

in Zambia in the mid to late 70's ........we used to have govt " tie ups"..............all dogs had to be liiecenced...and all the owners twice/year got a letter saying "inbetween the 10th and the 12th of the month you dog must be tied up 24 hours / day..........."......all other dogs seen or found loose will be shot on sight.......

this was to control rabies.....and it worked...........

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Quite. Were the goats introduced? 
A mate who’s daughter lives out in NZ, has been trying to emigrate for years, and whenever he visits always gets to go on a pig hunt. He has visions of living in a utility type truck and just living off the land. He has the truck, just can’t emigrate at the moment.

Yes, goats were introduced. There are no native land mammals in NZ apart from bats. I went on a goat hunt today. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. Living off the land hunter-gatherer style? I guess it could be done if you weren't too fussy about what you ate. Lots of fish/marine life, so I would head to the coast rather the hills if I was set on that life. Sounds idyllic, but it's a tough country. A hot shower and a soft bed are appreciated after a few days in the bush.

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Yes, goats were introduced. There are no native land mammals in NZ apart from bats. I went on a goat hunt today. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. Living off the land hunter-gatherer style? I guess it could be done if you weren't too fussy about what you ate. Lots of fish/marine life, so I would head to the coast rather the hills if I was set on that life. Sounds idyllic, but it's a tough country. A hot shower and a soft bed are appreciated after a few days in the bush.

He’s never been too fussy about what he eats really, he’s a very independent and capable bloke who has nothing to keep him in this country now, but a daughter and two grandchildren in NZ. He quite relishes the spartan lifestyle. 
His son in law only eats meat and fish which he himself has hunted apparently. It does indeed sound idyllic, although I’m sure it has its drawbacks. 

3 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Same as most people who want to emigrate, get caught up in the romance until they actually do it. 

Living in your truck only eating what you hunt, sounds good to a field sports type until your actually doing it. 

6 hours ago, Scully said:

He’s never been too fussy about what he eats really, he’s a very independent and capable bloke who has nothing to keep him in this country now, but a daughter and two grandchildren in NZ. He quite relishes the spartan lifestyle. 
His son in law only eats meat and fish which he himself has hunted apparently. It does indeed sound idyllic, although I’m sure it has its drawbacks. 

Your mate was born to be here! Some practical issues come to mind like meat storage, gun storage (it's illegal to leave guns in unattended vehicles) and vehicle security (NZ is not a crime free paradise), but sounds like your mate would be able to work these things out.

As a point of principle, we only eat meat/fish that I have harvested, apart from bacon! We haven't bought meat in the supermarket for years. Occasionally, I'll swap a crate of fish fillets for steak or lamb with farmer friends which adds some variety. 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Same as most people who want to emigrate, get caught up in the romance until they actually do it. 

Living in your truck only eating what you hunt, sounds good to a field sports type until your actually doing it. 

Yeah. I remember my first big trip in to the bush. 7 days. By the end of it, every part of my body hurt. Cuts and bruises everywhere. My clothes smelt so bad that my Mrs made me put them outside the tent overnight! When I got back to the hotel, I had a shower, a bath and another shower and still wasn't clean 😂

10 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Yeah. I remember my first big trip in to the bush. 7 days. By the end of it, every part of my body hurt. Cuts and bruises everywhere. My clothes smelt so bad that my Mrs made me put them outside the tent overnight! When I got back to the hotel, I had a shower, a bath and another shower and still wasn't clean 😂

Years ago before a trip out which could be for any length of time, we stopped washing, showering and shaving for up to a week before, cleaned teeth with salt. Wore the same clothes and by the time we left we didn't have the smell of a lady of the nights handbag.

It's surprising how much you can actually smell before hearing. Seeing generally comes last.  Soap, deodorant and toothpaste carry for 100s of yards on even a light breeze.

15 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Your mate was born to be here! Some practical issues come to mind like meat storage, gun storage (it's illegal to leave guns in unattended vehicles) and vehicle security (NZ is not a crime free paradise), but sounds like your mate would be able to work these things out.

As a point of principle, we only eat meat/fish that I have harvested, apart from bacon! We haven't bought meat in the supermarket for years. Occasionally, I'll swap a crate of fish fillets for steak or lamb with farmer friends which adds some variety. 

I think he maybe was. He thrives out there. His daughter applied for citizenship around ten years ago after being sponsored by her employer, and since then he just itches to get over there, but is restricted to 6 month intervals. There was a time he would summer in the UK then do 6 months in NZ, and then back to the UK for 6 and so on. I think he went about 3 years once without seeing a UK winter! Not that he's a fair weather tourist, he's a tough old boy, just that he could get more work done throughout better weather in both countries than he could through winters. 

Regards firearms, despite questioning me about lever actioned Marlins and reading up on pig shooting, I'm not too sure he's that bothered about firearms really, so am unsure how he intended to hunt his food. It certainly wouldn't bother him just to live off fish.