AYA Proofing

K.K.B

IIRC Birmingham Proof House lost the plot a bit - around the time that they felt the need to "align" British proof with the edicts from Europe ie CIP regs.

You would/might get an answer to your query if you contact the Proof House direct.

17 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Curiouser and curiouser. There were a few AYA guns that had an odd length chamber that wasn't 3" but slightly longer. As there was a now obscure 12 bore cartridge of somewhat over three inches. One went through Holt's maybe three, four or five years ago. It is odd that the cartouche seems to be 12-76.8? Or somesuch? In which case this may be of those guns yet, from recollection they were marked as 77mm? or 78mm? A trawl through Holt's back catalogues anyway will eventually find it after some effort.

Yep. I can only assume that if this is a No3 3" Magnum, then the "magnum" in amongst the proof marks must relate to the model name. This as both barrel flats already reflect supplementary or magnum marks - although as has been said one would have expected 1200 'whatevers' in that case in view of the '76'. A case of the midnight oil for you, perhaps.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Curiouser and curiouser. There were a few AYA guns that had an odd length chamber that wasn't 3" but slightly longer. As there was a now obscure 12 bore cartridge of somewhat over three inches. One went through Holt's maybe three, four or five years ago. It is odd that the cartouche seems to be 12-76.8? Or somesuch? In which case this may be of those guns yet, from recollection they were marked as 77mm? or 78mm? A trawl through Holt's back catalogues anyway will eventually find it after some effort.

I have a folding .410 with 76mm chambers

58 minutes ago, harkom said:

IIRC Birmingham Proof House lost the plot a bit - around the time that they felt the need to "align" British proof with the edicts from Europe ie CIP regs.

You would/might get an answer to your query if you contact the Proof House direct.

That's a good idea, I had contacted Gamebore in hope of a reply, but still waiting. I'll contact one of the proof houses to get some confirmation.

19 hours ago, K.K.B said:

Here is a pic of my barrels as requested above

Screenshot_2021-07-06-17-18-03-22.jpg

Ok, cheers for that. I will contact them and see what they say about it. 

old english 3 inch guns used to be proved at 3.5 tons psi for 1.5 ounces of shot up until l think the 1950s. 

with modern powders this went to 4 tons psi for loads to 1&7/8 ounces. 

7 hours ago, grahamch said:

old english 3 inch guns used to be proved at 3.5 tons psi for 1.5 ounces of shot up until l think the 1950s. 

with modern powders this went to 4 tons psi for loads to 1&7/8 ounces. 

Do you think the gun was stamped wrong then?

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2021 at 19:37, wymberley said:

Yep. I can only assume that if this is a No3 3" Magnum, then the "magnum" in amongst the proof marks must relate to the model name. This as both barrel flats already reflect supplementary or magnum marks - although as has been said one would have expected 1200 'whatevers' in that case in view of the '76'. A case of the midnight oil for you, perhaps.

All chambers are made longer than published. To have a stamp saying 76mm must have 76+2mm i think. Its in the cip chamber spec.