Repairing a trolley jack

paul1966

I have an old 2 ton  trolley jack that's leaking, as in it drops slowly, its a few years old, can you get replacement seals for them?, the only seal kits i have found are for the more popular branded ones. I don't want to scrap it really as its a bit of a waste.

I dont want to preach to anyone regarding H&S, and apologies, dont need to offend. 

Dont ever rely on Jacks to hold the vehicle up while working underneath, i lost a good old friend just a few months he made a stupid mistake, he was crushed because the jack failed, his wife and disabled daughter were helpless and could do nothing.

:good:

9 hours ago, Dougy said:

I dont want to preach to anyone regarding H&S, and apologies, dont need to offend. 

Dont ever rely on Jacks to hold the vehicle up while working underneath, i lost a good old friend just a few months he made a stupid mistake, he was crushed because the jack failed, his wife and disabled daughter were helpless and could do nothing.

quite agree..........trolley jacks do fail....do as snow white says as well.................

i have seen 2 trolley jacks fail..........luckerly no-one hurt..........

10 hours ago, Dougy said:

I've often been working under vehicles and thought shall I chance it, I've never known a jack fail and never hear of it happening  either. This just proves to me the old advice of propping up as well is sound. 

So sorry to hear the loss of a friend. 

11 hours ago, paul1966 said:

I have an old 2 ton  trolley jack that's leaking, as in it drops slowly, its a few years old, can you get replacement seals for them?, the only seal kits i have found are for the more popular branded ones. I don't want to scrap it really as its a bit of a waste.

Most independent tool hire shops will replace seals and do the work for you.

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

If it’s not leaking oil then it’s the ball bearing in the valve at the bottom of the push rod that’s not seating properly.

Strip the top part out then a sharp tap with a hammer and punch on the ball bearing should sort it.

:shaun:

no its not leaking oil, i'll have a look and see if i can find this bearing

One of my drivers died in similar sad circumstances. He'd gone freelance with a minibus and jacked it up to work underneath it. Aware of the dangers with jacks he'd made sure it was supported and then removed the jack. His supports? Four breeze blocks. You can all accurately guess the rest of the story. He as in most cases wasn't crushed to death. He died because the weight of the vehicle stopped his rib cage expanding to breathe in. So like the victim of a boa constrictor he suffocated to death in effect.

Edited by enfieldspares