Vets

walshie

I don't know if it's everywhere or just here, but for the last year or so our vet doesn't allow the owners into the premises with their animal.

Kaya, our ridgeback has been a bit poorly for a few days. When a ridgeback won't eat, you know something is wrong. She couldn't get comfortable and just sat outside staring into space so we took her to the vets.

Ridgebacks are not keen on anyone but their owners handling them and the vet and nurse couldn't even take her temperature. (She has a note on her record for being "difficult" which they found out giving her her booster jab last year). The vet gave her an anti-sickness jab but it made no difference and by the evening her eyes were dull and she was shivering so we called the emergency vet and explained the situation. 

We took her to the same vet practice but a different vet at 11.00pm and with my wife present (they had to meet in the lambing shed) she took bloods, took her temperature and gave her a painkilling jab that let her sleep that night. 

After 2 days not eating and drinking very little she was diagnosed with pancreatitis and given antibiotics. They worked very quickly and Kaya was nearly back to her old self yesterday and seems much brighter today.

It's a happy ending this time but I wonder how many bad endings there have been because owners weren't allowed in to reassure their dogs so couldn't diagnose correctly? Seems odd you can go into a shop or pub but not a vets. 

Our Vets charged me £28 for a telephone consultation, even though my dog could hardly stand, on the phone they agreed she needed to see the vet who collected her from the car park, five minutes later, according too the vet she had been scanned, given a full health check. had a booster injection and told us nothing was wrong with her. A few days later her condition was worse could not get up on her back legs, rang for an emergency appointment. told me I would have to have a telephone consultation. I told them what they could do this time, the vet saw her diagnosed a large tumour in her stomach put to sleep. Not saying she could have been saved but that little girl was in pain five days longer than was necessary, for what?  

• 4 weeks later...

Veterinary practices are currently under instruction from the government to adhere to certain guidelines regarding the pandemic. For instance, if the staff are worried about transmission of the virus they are within they right to restrict a clients presence within the facilities. However, you also have the right to have your dog seen outdoors within your presence. Feel comfortable asking your vets this, they should be more than willing as it’s a better option for the animal and the people. If privacy is your issue, try and find a quieter place. 

some vets will not like the idea of an outdoor examination because of time delay with everything they need being inside. More sensible and less stressy vets will outweigh the benefits and see the benefits.

- I work in a vets 

On 15/07/2021 at 15:22, Mickthemiller said:

Our Vets charged me £28 for a telephone consultation, even though my dog could hardly stand, on the phone they agreed she needed to see the vet who collected her from the car park, five minutes later, according too the vet she had been scanned, given a full health check. had a booster injection and told us nothing was wrong with her. A few days later her condition was worse could not get up on her back legs, rang for an emergency appointment. told me I would have to have a telephone consultation. I told them what they could do this time, the vet saw her diagnosed a large tumour in her stomach put to sleep. Not saying she could have been saved but that little girl was in pain five days longer than was necessary, for what?  

They had a duty of care for your dog .....,so pay your bill ,then ask to see the practice manager and Cooly and calmly tell them in no uncertain terms that there service fell well below what is expected from a conscientious and humane veterinary practice.

Feedback is never a waste of time and it may save somebody else going through what you just have that's just not good enough.

On 15/07/2021 at 15:22, Mickthemiller said:

five minutes later, according too the vet she had been scanned, given a full health check. had a booster injection and told us nothing was wrong with her.

...presumably the "scan" referred to the vet/a n other having scanned her micro-chip..???!! If a u/s scan had been carried out as a diagnostic procedure on first presentation then the tumour would/should have been identified.

As an aside .. did they try and sell you a tooth scale and "special" dog food/supplements/wormer at the same time?

If I were you I would not only complain to the practice principal but insist on an apology and ?refund... "before you make a complaint to the ruling body."

• 2 weeks later...

No when we took her in she was having problems standing without our help, the vet said she scanned her gave her an injection to help her stand but otherwise found nothing wrong. No point complaining it's her word against ours, the dog has been PTS and we have to move on. We now have a springer pup named after her Meg. I think they rely on people doing what I did Nothing.

Edited by Mickthemiller

Just a little follow up to my post re the feedback ,I asked to see the practice manager straight after paying my bill ,I asked him to review the treatment that my dog had been given by his associates, he quickly reviewed it on his computer ...he then apologised and said that he wouldn't have done any of the things that they had done.

I didn't ask for anything off the bill and the dog was gone anyway ,I just made it clear that she had suffered more than she should have with which he agreed.

Anyway what I am trying to get to is that since that day I have had first rate service every time I have been back they all seem to try extra hard to keep me happy.Oh and my next visit was free of charge .