Bought myself another post knocker

spandit

Was hoping I could say I have a matched pair but despite sharing the same model number (Baikal 27E-1C) the newer one (on the right) has a shorter barrel and a slightly shorter stock/forend. I presume the markings "F 1.0 and M 0.5" refer to the chokes - top barrel being full and lower being half.

baikal.jpeg.ff1be45ad126cb9d465c1510f3dc1d65.jpeg

Had an entertaining moment in the shop when, because I'm very much a shotgun novice, the owner was giving me some tips, one of which was pointing the gun directly at him (we double checked it was unloaded) to see I was looking down the rib properly. As I was stood with the gun in his face, another customer walked in and must have thought he was witnessing a robbery, although I'm guessing he saw the other customers in there looking disinterested so cottoned on quick :)

I just wanted a second gun to hand to a friend when we're firing warning shots near some clays. Despite dehumidifiers etc. my cabinets are still really damp and having a higher quality bangstick would be a waste, especially whilst I'm so inept at using one :D

2 minutes ago, spandit said:

Was hoping I could say I have a matched pair but despite sharing the same model number (Baikal 27E-1C) the newer one (on the right) has a shorter barrel and a slightly shorter stock/forend. I presume the markings "F 1.0 and M 0.5" refer to the chokes - top barrel being full and lower being half.

baikal.jpeg.ff1be45ad126cb9d465c1510f3dc1d65.jpeg

Had an entertaining moment in the shop when, because I'm very much a shotgun novice, the owner was giving me some tips, one of which was pointing the gun directly at him (we double checked it was unloaded) to see I was looking down the rib properly. As I was stood with the gun in his face, another customer walked in and must have thought he was witnessing a robbery, although I'm guessing he saw the other customers in there looking disinterested so cottoned on quick

I just wanted a second gun to hand to a friend when we're firing warning shots near some clays. Despite dehumidifiers etc. my cabinets are still really damp and having a higher quality bangstick would be a waste, especially whilst I'm so inept at using one

Welcome to the inept club Spandit - I can't shoot a scatter gun to save my life. :)

Just now, Scully said:

Looks grand. Can I ask why your cabinets are so damp? 

It's an old house with suspended floors - under the floorboards it's just bare earth and the cabinets are under the stairs where there's very little ventilation under the floor. I'm hoping to move them soon

Just now, 1066 said:

Welcome to the inept club Spandit - I can't shoot a scatter gun to save my life. :)

I vaguely know which is the loud end. With the tips I was given today, though, I'll get my trap out and see if I can improve at all

Just now, spandit said:

It's an old house with suspended floors - under the floorboards it's just bare earth and the cabinets are under the stairs where there's very little ventilation under the floor. I'm hoping to move them soon

Ah. I once lined my cabinets in that polystyrene you can get in a roll, when I lived at my parents house. Seemed to help to an extent

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Ah. I once lined my cabinets in that polystyrene you can get in a roll, when I lived at my parents house. Seemed to help to an extent

That's a good idea - what did you use to stick them? The rifle cabinet is carpet lined but my shotgun cabinet is bare metal

45 minutes ago, spandit said:

That's a good idea - what did you use to stick them? The rifle cabinet is carpet lined but my shotgun cabinet is bare metal

Sorry, I honestly can’t remember, it was such a long time ago!

PVA would probably do it, or those little double sided adhesive tabs? 

Edited by Scully

A couple of points regarding those Russian beauties. They should both be half and full choke but it would be worth checking that the short barrelled one hasn't been cut down to open the chokes. Any sort of choke measurer will do to get a simple comparison between the two guns. Some of them have some subtle cross hatching on the ends of the ribs which may be missing if they have indeed been cut down. I only mention this because one I had was opened up like this and wouldn't pattern to save its life !  The other thing is that the ejector spring can be very fierce making the gun quite hard to open as well as being anti-social. A few coils cut of the springs cures this. Enjoy !!

21 hours ago, Velocette said:

A couple of points regarding those Russian beauties. They should both be half and full choke but it would be worth checking that the short barrelled one hasn't been cut down to open the chokes. Any sort of choke measurer will do to get a simple comparison between the two guns. Some of them have some subtle cross hatching on the ends of the ribs which may be missing if they have indeed been cut down. I only mention this because one I had was opened up like this and wouldn't pattern to save its life !  The other thing is that the ejector spring can be very fierce making the gun quite hard to open as well as being anti-social. A few coils cut of the springs cures this. Enjoy !!

That's interesting - I'll see if I can see a difference with my calipers. There are saw marks on the muzzle end but then there are on the longer one too. Not sure this one has selectable barrels unlike the older one, which I think does

1 hour ago, spandit said:

That's interesting - I'll see if I can see a difference with my calipers. There are saw marks on the muzzle end but then there are on the longer one too. Not sure this one has selectable barrels unlike the older one, which I think does

If its a single trigger type then it will have selectable barrels, when its cocked push the trigger blade forwards to select top barrel first. It only gives the slightest of clicks to indicate switching, otherwise its the usual bottom barrel first. They should both have selectable ejectors which are switched on and off with the small screws at the front of the action above the hinge pin. I think that with the screw slot in line with action is extract, 90 degrees turn in either direction is eject.

This comment comes with a free SxS Baikal.

Edited by Velocette
addition.

48 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

All you need now is a nice baikal side by side or if you want to go all out then get the hammer gun. Side by side anchors are soo nice!

Too late, by reading my advise he has in fact agreed to accept the free SxS I'm offering at the moment. Always read the small print !!

14 hours ago, Velocette said:

If its a single trigger type then it will have selectable barrels, when its cocked push the trigger blade forwards to select top barrel first.

Just tried and they both have this feature, thank you.

I've measured the muzzle end with calipers and the new (shorter) one is definitely larger diameter so it does look as if someone has sawn the chokes off. Wonder why they'd bother? Not sure whether to take it back to the gunshop now...

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

There was at one time a combo Baikal O/U. Two sets of barrels it came with. One 26" for then hugely popular English Skeet and the other 28" choked very tight and even more very tight. It may be that the shorter barrel one is fitted with the Skeet barrel set?

They both have the same markings:

20210712_102036.jpg.fd438620ebbf313f2cd04d8b3ea649b2.jpg

As long as you didn't pay a fortune then the short one which looks to be choked cylinder may still be useful. Whilst the cylinder Baikal I had wouldn't pattern with the cartridges I used the Brno I recently got with skeet/cylinder chokes worked well on clays which were reasonably close or incoming, just as it did on pigeons last week which were decoying in. I was using 30g No. 7 in the cylinder Brno for pigeons and it did pretty well.

1 hour ago, spandit said:

Just tried and they both have this feature, thank you.

I've measured the muzzle end with calipers and the new (shorter) one is definitely larger diameter so it does look as if someone has sawn the chokes off. Wonder why they'd bother? Not sure whether to take it back to the gunshop now...

They both have the same markings:

20210712_102036.jpg.fd438620ebbf313f2cd04d8b3ea649b2.jpg

Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm relying on memory which is failing fast, but we used to have a member who worked for the UK importers. He said that the standard method of reducing the level of choke was to saw a given dimension for the level of choke required from the muzzle. Obviously, this meant that the chokes were tapered throughout so it would be easy to check.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

You will probably find that over the years you will shoot far more with the gun with no choke.

For pigeon, ever since the advent of NTS I've gone in the opposite direction (while using lead, naturally).