Bought myself another post knocker

spandit

4 hours ago, London Best said:

You will probably find that over the years you will shoot far more with the gun with no choke.

Yes. A book I once read said this: "Shooting is like billiards. It is the easy shots that fill the bag". In other words the screamers coming in on the wind or fast crossers some goodly yards out may look spectacular when you connect with them but it is the "easy" shots with pheasant or woodpigeon that fill the bag.

25 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. A book I once read said this: "Shooting is like billiards. It is the easy shots that fill the bag". In other words the screamers coming in on the wind or fast crossers some goodly yards out may look spectacular when you connect with them but it is the "easy" shots with pheasant or woodpigeon that fill the bag.

Right enough, but now my mentality is such that I find the occasional screamer or two breaks up the monotony of the bag fillers. My last post, though, was more about ensuring sufficient pellets in the pattern to kill cleanly and which can be lacking if you stretch open/no chokes too far on a smaller quarry species.

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Right enough, but now my mentality is such that I find the occasional screamer or two breaks up the monotony of the bag fillers. My last post, though, was more about ensuring sufficient pellets in the pattern to kill cleanly and which can be lacking if you stretch open/no chokes too far on a smaller quarry species.

The trouble is, most folks have little idea of how far is too far.

One man’s screamer is another man’s bag filler.

And there is not a man alive who can accurately estimate range to a bird in the air with no background.

18 hours ago, London Best said:

The trouble is, most folks have little idea of how far is too far.

One man’s screamer is another man’s bag filler.

And there is not a man alive who can accurately estimate range to a bird in the air with no background.

Agree entirely. Not in my time, but your point which in all probability may be taken as factual is just one example of what is going to cause live quarry shooters problems in the non too distant future. Some folk have no idea what-so-ever of how many pellets are required in the central lethal area of a pattern which can be be taken as sufficient in order to obtain what can be as reasonably expected as it can be that a clean kill will be achieved -  some don't even know that such an area exists. Some don't even care and others still think that adding 10% to cater for stringing on top of the 3 pellets is the answer. 

Edited by wymberley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 18:11, spandit said:

That's a good idea - what did you use to stick them? The rifle cabinet is carpet lined but my shotgun cabinet is bare metal

Hello, a strong wall paper glue will stick down polystyrene , then use some gun socks, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 3 months later...

I had some carpet and Evostik Sticks like **** left over from our extension. The tube split as I was trying to squeeze it with the sealant gun, so I ended up just squeegeeing it onto the cabinet sides with a silicone spreader. Carpet stuck well although I ran out of glue before getting to do the back but it's nice having a softer finish in there as I've heard those Baikals are quite fragile :D