Police corruption

henry d

I have been reading about the Sarah Everard case and a awful as that is it has brought to light the fact that the police seem to be quite corrupt across forces.

Couzens was accused of indecent exposure in 2015 and there is an investigation into failures by Kent police to investigate it properly, two further allegations into him exposing himself in February this year are also being investigated due to alleged failures by the Met. Added to this there are twelve gross misconduct or misconduct notices served on officers across several forces regarding the main case.

What is happening with those who are supposed to be upholding the law, is it a cultural thing or just a few bad apples. To me it would appear to be the former and if he had been suspended in February this young woman may not have been killed. Totally sad state of affairs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, as far as I can see it use to be a very closed shop but now we do see officers being charged or dismissed for gross misconduct, even prison, yes had they charged Couzens and dismissed from the force but he may of still of carried out this terrible crime, I am sure there are corrupt and Racist officers in every force in the UK, be interesting if Walker 470 gives his views ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Officers being convicted of misconduct is a sign that corruption is low level. Police officers are human and fail like the rest of us.

The Sarah Everard case is very strange and unusual, but not indicative of the widespread culture. It is awful that this woman was raped and killed, however it is slightly embarrassing that this has become a cause célèbre as if there is a widespread issues of officers attacking women. The national panic this one case has been whipped into probably puts more women at risk than achieves anything helpful to keep people safe on our streets. 

The Police are like any other section of society. There are good and bad, plus very bad. That said, I honestly believe that the vast majority are honest, hard working and trustworthy.

This particular case doesn't reflect well on the Police and particularly those who are in charge of the disciplinary process. All they can do is act when the need arises - and a damn sight quicker than in this instance - and deal with the matter fairly. There is no place in the Police Force for bent coppers.

Its nothing new the first time i seen police corruption was when i was a teenager some one had broke into a chemist shop a  copper turns up   looks around puts his hand in nicks a couple of watches back in them days they used to sell all sorts and they was on dissplay in the window

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

The Police are like any other section of society. There are good and bad, plus very bad. That said, I honestly believe that the vast majority are honest, hard working and trustworthy.

This particular case doesn't reflect well on the Police and particularly those who are in charge of the disciplinary process.

I agree - but would make the alteration above.  It seems to me that the various 'leadership' players, Chief Constables, PCC, etc. are obsessed with figures, statistics, 'political correctness', climbing the greasy pole, collecting honours, lining up post job consultancies etc. rather then leading their forces.  I think the route cause is that we have a cultural belief these days (spread much wider than just the police) where 'leaders' who understand and can play statistics, politics, weasel words, "Sir Humphrey speak" etc. take precedence over people who have worked their way up through hard work, success and the respect of their colleagues.

Heck, where to start! 🙂 Are we talking small scale corruption like fiddling expense accounts, taking ones rifle out on patrol of an evening to bag the odd rabbit or fox when things were quiet, averting the course of justice through contacts in the Masons....including a drink driving whilst banned for the same offence, and a firearms offence, overlooking certain 'misdemeanours' on the basis of favouritism and or convenience, booking girlfriends ( rather than wives ) into accomodation whilst on miners strike duty, averting the course of justice through intimidation and assault, or just major corruption? 

I can give quite a few instances I personally have experience of or know of, from the 1970's until the present day, of all those I've mentioned apart from those which would fit the major category. 

1 minute ago, harkom said:

The head of the Met is no more than a box-ticker.

Perhaps there was an 'instruction' that it was about time we had a female for "Britain's most senior Police Officer"?  Wouldn't put that past them in these days of political correctness.  Appointed by (the Queen officially) but in practice the then Home Secretary (Amber Rudd) based on the submissions of the Mayor of London (Sadiq Khan).

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Perhaps there was an 'instruction' that it was about time we had a female for "Britain's most senior Police Officer"?  Wouldn't put that past them in these days of political correctness.  Appointed by (the Queen officially) but in practice the then Home Secretary (Amber Rudd) based on the submissions of the Mayor of London (Sadiq Khan).

Be careful if you want your next ticket. Who is watching US

1 hour ago, harkom said:

The head of the Met is no more than a box-ticker. Hopefully this "incident" (and others) will see it 

42 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

getting the shove.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

about time we had a female for "Britain's most senior Police Officer"? 

Edited by London Best

When my late mother did her police training at hendon ( probably almost sixty years ago) , the main man at the passing out parade said " their are more rouges on the police force that off it , don't be one of those rouges ".  

My experience is that most police officers are basically decent and honest people , that want to do good , and help others , but , the police still employ some of the vilest creatures , the problem is that they often happily close ranks and hide them .

7 hours ago, henry d said:

What is happening with those who are supposed to be upholding the law, is it a cultural thing or just a few bad apples. To me it would appear to be the former and if he had been suspended in February this young woman may not have been killed. Totally sad state of affairs.

What's happening is that the police have arbitrarily decided that maintaining law & order is not their main priority. Instead they claim their raison d'etre is "Public Safety" and apparently they can make such decisions without consulting the public or, presumably, obtaining clearance from the Home Secretary.

If the most of the Chief Officers had actually risen through the ranks and put in the time as working officers with appropriate field experience and contact with the outside world, things might be different. As it is, most are just office based professional managers who've spent half their careers achieving nothing more than collecting additional letters after their names.

Chances are right now there's a scramble for allies and supporters going on to see who can offload any blame and who has to be sacrificed. The only certainty is that the guilty will, as usual, walk away laughing and nothing much will change. The warm and cuddly Cressida Duck has shrugged off blame several times already, but she will always be bulletproof as she ticks all the right PC boxes for gender, LGBT orientation etc.

49 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

My experience is that most police officers are basically decent and honest people , that want to do good , and help others , but , the police still employ some of the vilest creatures , the problem is that they often happily close ranks and hide them

Absolutely, no one is a saint and we all do wrong, but it is the fact that he was caught out on several occasions and it seems that police officers tried to bury it, so for him there was little reason to stop his sexual activities and this ended in tragedy

57 minutes ago, henry d said:

Absolutely, no one is a saint and we all do wrong, but it is the fact that he was caught out on several occasions and it seems that police officers tried to bury it, so for him there was little reason to stop his sexual activities and this ended in tragedy

Do you really believe that the met police force, or any other force for that matter, would be happy with, or tolerate one of their officers going around committing indecent exposure, much less rape or murder. Your post is utterly ridiculous.