Jump to content

PCP Pump


welshwarrior
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Have one I don't use any more, a tenner plus the postage to you Sir.

Ernest Hill  Sheffield.  Recently refurbished.

Hello, nice offer 👍

5 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Sorting the FIL out with a basic pcp set up any advice on a cheap pump it won’t get used a lot! 

Hello, what pcp did you get ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Have one I don't use any more, a tenner plus the postage to you Sir.

Ernest Hill  Sheffield.  Recently refurbished.

Perfect thank you very much.  

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, nice offer 👍

Hello, what pcp did you get ?

I’ve got him a ultra 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet this topic has been done to death so I'm happy if someone points to a link

But I'm considering purchasing a PCP multi shot to practice my trigger/breathing etc.

In general I'm looking for something that doesnt look like a "phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range"

I hope I'll be able to do something else long term so not looking to spend the earth (I'm thinking £200-400 used for the rifle) but I think I'm looking for something more than 2 shots

I'm not sure how the multi shot works on different rifles e.g. is it like a semi auto or a bolt action/magazine, revolver or what - does it need a lever to be pulled or what

I know everyone will recommend what theyve got, which is fine, but some commentry on why, the good the bad and the ugly, would help

Also if anyone is interested in a (as new with box)  Hatsan break barrel I'll probably sell/exchange that - it just iterrupts the flow of shooting a bit to cock it but happy to carry on with it if I cant find something

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look for a used Air Arms S410 in .177, Walnut stocked Carbine would be nice. There are many, many other options out there but the S410 is the Mercedes of the Air Rifle world, you might struggle at £400. You would be wise to search for local Air Rifle clubs and pop along and see what people are using and maybe get to try a few guns. Loads of reviews on You Tube but you need to take some with a pinch of salt as they are sponsored. As for the S410 the pellets are loaded into a magazine (easy) which then slots into the breach after pulling back the bolt, with the bolt pushed forward the gun loads ready to fire, each subsequent cycling of the bolt chambers another pellet, once you've done it once you can do it blindfolded. Tin Hat on but avoid the Walther RM-8. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks

36 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Look for a used Air Arms S410 in .177, Walnut stocked Carbine would be nice. There are many, many other options out there but the S410 is the Mercedes of the Air Rifle world, you might struggle at £400. You would be wise to search for local Air Rifle clubs and pop along and see what people are using and maybe get to try a few guns. Loads of reviews on You Tube but you need to take some with a pinch of salt as they are sponsored. As for the S410 the pellets are loaded into a magazine (easy) which then slots into the breach after pulling back the bolt, with the bolt pushed forward the gun loads ready to fire, each subsequent cycling of the bolt chambers another pellet, once you've done it once you can do it blindfolded. Tin Hat on but avoid the Walther RM-8. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Look for a used Air Arms S410 in .177, Walnut stocked Carbine would be nice. There are many, many other options out there but the S410 is the Mercedes of the Air Rifle world, you might struggle at £400. You would be wise to search for local Air Rifle clubs and pop along and see what people are using and maybe get to try a few guns. Loads of reviews on You Tube but you need to take some with a pinch of salt as they are sponsored. As for the S410 the pellets are loaded into a magazine (easy) which then slots into the breach after pulling back the bolt, with the bolt pushed forward the gun loads ready to fire, each subsequent cycling of the bolt chambers another pellet, once you've done it once you can do it blindfolded. Tin Hat on but avoid the Walther RM-8. 

Hi

Theres an Air Arms S200 with retrofitted magazine advertised (I assume its not normally multi shot ?) - is that any good ?

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The S200 is the A-10 of the Airgun world - ugly but well hung!! One of the most under rated Guns ever built and only really let down by  a shot count of around 50 consistent shots in .22 and maybe 40+ in .177. The gun makes no sense at all if you pick one up un scoped but turns into a comfortable Tack driver once you put glass on the roof. Unless it has an after market Reg fitted you may consider the shot count insufficient (ie Rat shooting) but you will never be able to blame the gun should you miss. Wish I had a pound for everybody that regretted selling theirs. Might be worth letting us know what sort of area you are in, might be someone on here willing to "show you the ropes" so to speak regarding PCP's. And No, the S200 is usually single shot but the after market Mag systems are ok.

Edited by bruno22rf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

The S200 is the A-10 of the Airgun world - ugly but well hung!! One of the most under rated Guns ever built and only really let down by  a shot count of around 50 consistent shots in .22 and maybe 40+ in .177. The gun makes no sense at all if you pick one up un scoped but turns into a comfortable Tack driver once you put glass on the roof. Unless it has an after market Reg fitted you may consider the shot count insufficient (ie Rat shooting) but you will never be able to blame the gun should you miss. Wish I had a pound for everybody that regretted selling theirs. Might be worth letting us know what sort of area you are in, might be someone on here willing to "show you the ropes" so to speak regarding PCP's. And No, the S200 is usually single shot but the after market Mag systems are ok.

Thanks bruno

Thats really useful information - my main use case is target shooting mostly at home to improve my breathing/trigger etc to improve my LR target shooting on the range so pellet count on a charge not a big issue to be honest.

 

I notice some people have "Bucks" and the like on their profile but I dont see where to put that in - I'm in Herts

D

BTW assuming you mean the A-10 Wharthog - I don't think A-10s are ugly when they are doing their job in close air support role !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I purchased a second hand AA S 200 in 22 on recomendation from Carl at Solware and it is brilliant. 10 shot magazine and very accurate.  I believe Old Man on here also shoots an AA S200 very effectively.     The trigger is great...double action.  The tree rats around here hate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2021 at 09:37, Downforce said:

I think the one I was looking at has gone - will keep an eye open but I think I've got Michelin star tastes and McDonalds budget !

D

Hello, what is your budget ? and is multi shot required ? If your only doing target practice then many use single shot air rifles, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what is your budget ? and is multi shot required ? If your only doing target practice then many use single shot air rifles, 

Multishot is a preference rather than a requirement so I can concentrate on the marksmanship principles of firing and know that its not because I've adjusted my position cocking the rifle but I already have a .22 break barrel springer and thats just too disruptive to load that each time, budget wise, because I'll probably be selling it again in 6-12m something that holds its value and is in demand I could pay a bit more than just buying a cheap gun but how much - well I'd like to say £3-400 but if I can buy something for £650 new and sell for £600 in 12m then that would be something I'd consider.

The obvious other issue is if I look at something like an Air Arms S410 or S510 and buy a decent scope, tank etc all new I'm over £1K and thats too much.

So I am really thinking is it worth it and if I can pay out under £500 for everything I need (scope tank etc) and sell it later for similar then I'll probably do it.

D

Could also trade in the Springer - its new - maybe 50 pellets through it

Edited by Downforce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Downforce said:

Multishot is a preference rather than a requirement so I can concentrate on the marksmanship principles of firing and know that its not because I've adjusted my position cocking the rifle but I already have a .22 break barrel springer and thats just too disruptive to load that each time, budget wise, because I'll probably be selling it again in 6-12m something that holds its value and is in demand I could pay a bit more than just buying a cheap gun but how much - well I'd like to say £3-400 but if I can buy something for £650 new and sell for £600 in 12m then that would be something I'd consider.

The obvious other issue is if I look at something like an Air Arms S410 or S510 and buy a decent scope, tank etc all new I'm over £1K and thats too much.

So I am really thinking is it worth it and if I can pay out under £500 for everything I need (scope tank etc) and sell it later for similar then I'll probably do it.

D

Could also trade in the Springer - its new - maybe 50 pellets through it

Hello, you won't get that second hand on a £650 rifle, more like 2/3 Rd if you keep in VGC, AA hold there price well,  I have a HW 110 in 22 for sale but that's pushing £550/£600 , new last July , it's been tested with HC the importer , or you could look at a BSA Gamo G X 40, rifle only, Hawke Scope, Silencer, pump, that's still £400 plus, where in Hertfordshire are you ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I have a HW 110 in 22 for sale

Is that a bare bones rifle with no scope no bottle etc.

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

that's pushing £550/£600

The differentiator in buying new meaning the ability to use my card and pay it off over a few months rather than needing to have the cash

Hitchin

What about a Hatsan AT44 - I know Hatsans generally build cheap guns but the escort I has was fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Downforce said:

Is that a bare bones rifle with no scope no bottle etc.

The differentiator in buying new meaning the ability to use my card and pay it off over a few months rather than needing to have the cash

Hitchin

What about a Hatsan AT44 - I know Hatsans generally build cheap guns but the escort I has was fine.

Have you looked on guntrader? There are a few AA410 and AA400 that come with most of what you need from £400 to £700, if there's no bottle with it you could always use a hand pump to keep it topped up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Have you looked on guntrader? There are a few AA410 and AA400 that come with most of what you need from £400 to £700, if there's no bottle with it you could always use a hand pump to keep it topped up.

Yeah Ive been watching both guntrader and gunstar - thats where I saw the S200 with mag conversion but it was sold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Downforce said:

Is that a bare bones rifle with no scope no bottle etc.

The differentiator in buying new meaning the ability to use my card and pay it off over a few months rather than needing to have the cash

Hitchin

What about a Hatsan AT44 - I know Hatsans generally build cheap guns but the escort I has was fine.

Hello, all these Turkish air rifles are much the same, hatsan make better shotguns, £650 would get scope, bipod, pellets , etc, I have some 300 bar cylinders but out of test, scope is a good Nikon Prostaff , to be honest the BSA Gamo G X 40 would be my choice, as I mentioned before, rifle only, hawke scope, silencer, pump off eBay, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, all these Turkish air rifles are much the same, hatsan make better shotguns, £650 would get scope, bipod, pellets , etc, I have some 300 bar cylinders but out of test, scope is a good Nikon Prostaff , to be honest the BSA Gamo G X 40 would be my choice, as I mentioned before, rifle only, hawke scope, silencer, pump off eBay, 

Thanks but I cant really justify that and I cant get the tank filled without it being certified so that would just be another thing to deal with.

I went for the Hatsan with all the bits I need (case, scuba bottle (3yr), bipod, silencer, magazines etc.)  - maybe not as good as a german gun but it'll do what I need and I should be able to sell it for similar money when i dont need it any more. I think I have family interest in buying it already!

D

Thanks to everyone - its been a baptism of fire to learn something about PCPs in a few days 🙂

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...