How loud is a blank pistol?

Spending a fair amount of time around the land I shoot on, and not always wanting to take a shotgun out with me - for various reasons, including cleaning, the fuss of takeing it out of the cabinet, and not wanting it sitting in the back of my defender while I do other things - I was thinking of buying a .22 blank firing pistol. 

Only a basic one (the Bruni Olympic 6 looks good to me) so I could pick it up before I go out and keep it in my barbour pocket when I'm about in the fields.

I know it's still coverd (like a lot of knives) by a legal duty to only have it outside in public with good reason - and i'm obviously happy to comply with that - but I was wondering if it would be lound enough for actual bird scaring?

What I basicaly want to do is carry it around in my poceket when I am out on other buisness in the feilds, and let a few shots off to fulfil part of my legal responsibility to scare birds off the crops before I shoot them.

Any advice / input welcone

Peter

10 hours ago, tonyshooter said:

I have tried pistols with .22 blanks and 8mm blanks and they dont have the same effect as a 12 ga.

They deliver a differnet sound to a shotgun, and they can be a bit expensive on the ammo.

Agreed. I’ve an ages old 9mm blank firing frontier colt. It achieves diddly squat scaring pigeons. Blanks aren’t cheap. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I’ve fired blanks ever since the vasectomy. None of them have ever scared a pigeon.

Scared a few birds though? 🤣

13 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Get some rope  bangers or buy a single barrel 12 with a sling and fire it occasionally probably the cheapest option 

don’t bother cleaning it just scrap it every few years and get another 🤭

Considering you can pick up an old single barrel Baikal for next to nothing, this is probably by far the best option. 

Although you can buy a can of spray and a 12g pull through for about £10 which takes about 20 seconds to give a barrel a quick clean. 

Cleaning is hardly an excuse. 

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

LOL! Search paper thunderclap popper toy or similar words on You Tube.

👍

14 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

How about some fireworks .a pack of bangers should do it .? 

That's a possibility 👍

14 hours ago, Free range Rob said:

Why not just get some proper bird scarer rockets or ropes.

That's possibly getting a tad expensive and involved. Basicaly what I want is something that's as little bother as possible that I can do along side whatever it is I'm happening to be doing on the land at the time.

14 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Get some rope  bangers or buy a single barrel 12 with a sling and fire it occasionally probably the cheapest option 

don’t bother cleaning it just scrap it every few years and get another 🤭

I guess there is that as a possibility - but generally speaking, I don't like to leave guns in my landrover, so it would be a concerted effort everytime I go out, as opposed to something I could just leave my the pocket of my work coat.

12 hours ago, tonyshooter said:

I have tried pistols with .22 blanks and 8mm blanks and they dont have the same effect as a 12 ga.

They deliver a differnet sound to a shotgun, and they can be a bit expensive on the ammo.

That's useful to know cheers 👍

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

get them rockets from the farm store .....they are awsome....like maroons

Ha, yes - I think I will be purchasing some of those to cover myself as well.

3 hours ago, 39TDS said:

If it is purely to fulfil any legal obligations to scare birds just wave your arms and say "shoo shoo".

Thats potentially true - and I do of course scare birds by just being there. However, I am keen to demonstrate (in the event of being pulled up on it by the police) that I am engaging in the spirit of the law. I have a good working relationship with the local rural crime team, and I have always found that if you show them you are acting reasonably and within the law, then they will just let you get on with it. Especially when you are in the possition I'm in, with a local ne'er-do-well working his way towards the shound of gunfire, and popping out from behind bushes recording videos on his mobile to send to local hunt saboteurs facebook pages. My thinking is also that if I take a blank pistol with me as well, I can let a few shots off and if the police are called (as they have been previously) I cant be accused of having shot anything with it. 

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

Agreed. I’ve an ages old 9mm blank firing frontier colt. It achieves diddly squat scaring pigeons. Blanks aren’t cheap. 

Cheers - useful to know 👍

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I’ve fired blanks ever since the vasectomy. None of them have ever scared a pigeon.

Ha

36 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Scared a few birds though? 🤣

Considering you can pick up an old single barrel Baikal for next to nothing, this is probably by far the best option. 

Although you can buy a can of spray and a 12g pull through for about £10 which takes about 20 seconds to give a barrel a quick clean. 

Cleaning is hardly an excuse. 

True - but there is the issue of leaving a gun in the back of the landrover, which I'm not too keen on - defenders not being the most secure of vehicles. A shotgun is quite a thing to lug around as well - and unlike a blank pistol, offers no defence against the suggestion that I've been shooting, as opposed to scaring birds.

6 minutes ago, JDog said:

Cleaning ones gun after use is an integral part of shooting. Not being prepared to clean it after use is a poor reason for not using it.

I agree - and when shooting, I've never held back from pulling the trigger on account of not wanting to clean a gun. But bird scaring, if it can be done effortlessly with a blank pistol, at the same time as my other duties, isnt the same thing as shooting to my mind.

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

You can get the Ramset blanks for nail guns anywhere.  The fire just fine in 22lr weapons.  Fun fact: you can hot glue 22 air pellets to the end and hunt with them.  My son plays with them out of revolvers.  

342AFD4E-5ED2-40E9-A3DF-F4296DBD34C6.png

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The red CCI ones are very loud.  The Winchester purple is loud also.  They are for concrete and masonry nails. But $11.99 is way to expensive.  You local hardware store should have the around $5 usd

1B098966-FEDE-41CA-8878-055C26CA7C05.png

Probably easier said than done in the UK - from what I can tell, Ramset nail guns would fall into the category of Firearms, so it's unlikely that those blanks will readily available. And i'd still need to carry a rifle around with me to fire them.

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Fire bird exploding targets go off with a fair bang .

A very small plastic case with 10 inside .all you need to do is figure out away of hitting them to make them go bang (from at least 2 m away .) 

Air pistol perhaps.? 

Screenshot_20210712-131258_Google.jpg

Cheers - that's another possibility 👍

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Thunder caps are fun also,  a 100psi bottle will rattle the windows.  

70F1BFA3-0378-4476-86D1-F1548AE938C0.png

They do look extreamly fun

47 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Dad used to make us poppers growing up. Take a drink straw and shove a 22lr in it.  Then toss it up in the air.  The straw causes the 22lr to land on its back and pops.  

Hilarious that it is drinking straws that got banned rather than a 22 :D