Euro 2020 Final

chrisjpainter

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, the hitman said:

At half time Italy made changes with great affect, we didn’t and had to defend for an entire second half. After 65 mins I really expected Grealish to come on and Mount to be subbed off- just to give a fresh attack option.

I expected Sancho for Trippier at 60 mins (Torres O’Clock in the old Benetiz days). Mount looked spent and had little effect so maybe would have been a good option. However, if my sub had been made perhaps we would have been tonked in normal time. Who knows. 

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Italy looked like the only side looking for a winner. Southgate was way too cautious. We sat back and invited pressure, which is exactly what we got. They scored an equalizer and it went to extra time, plus penalties. Why did the youngest player in our team end up taking a penalty. Shame on the senior players.

We had a decent run, but the best team won.

Sums it up exactly!

Just now, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Typical England...no winning mentality.  Southgate's political statement in the penalties backfired....sick of hearing how well they did . They had an easy route to the final and still blew it .....noone remembers a loser...

Meow

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Italy looked like the only side looking for a winner. Southgate was way too cautious. We sat back and invited pressure, which is exactly what we got. They scored an equalizer and it went to extra time, plus penalties. Why did the youngest player in our team end up taking a penalty. Shame on the senior players.

We had a decent run, but the best team won.

This.

1. As the pundits said, at half time we had the choice to ‘stick or twist’ and Southgate as a true defender went for stick

2. Deep defending against a side like Italy for 45 minutes was never going to work, it’s becomes a matter of when, not if

3. Putting kids on cold with no real touch of the ball to take a pen is madness and they will carry those misses with them for the rest of their careers

4. changes should have been made at the start of extra time and that meant Grealish on earlier

5. It was ours to lose and we stole defeat from the jaws of victory

6. The World Cup is going to be a corker 

10 minutes ago, Mungler said:

This.

1. As the pundits said, at half time we had the choice to ‘stick or twist’ and Southgate as a true defender went for stick

2. Deep defending against a side like Italy for 45 minutes was never going to work, it’s becomes a matter of when, not if

3. Putting kids on cold with no real touch of the ball to take a pen is madness and they will carry those misses with them for the rest of their careers

4. changes should have been made at the start of extra time and that meant Grealish on earlier

5. It was ours to lose and we stole defeat from the jaws of victory

6. The World Cup is going to be a corker 

Totally agree with the points you've made. Don't agree with the garbage some numpties are spouting about Southgate choosing black players to take penalties purely to make a statement. 

3 hours ago, the hitman said:

I thought they had a couple of good performances  in the knockout games- and deserved to be in the final.

At half time Italy made changes with great affect, we didn’t and had to defend for an entire second half. After 65 mins I really expected Grealish to come on and Mount to be subbed off- just to give a fresh attack option.

Penalties are down to pressure and a test of nerve- some of the best players in history have missed penalties.

The England team should be proud that they gave the country something to cheer.

Hitman 

Sums it up, this was the first game I'd say England weren't brave or bold enough with the subs.

Italy played well in the second half,  disrupted every we did, with some blatant fouling which they somehow got away with. 

The dodgy penalties were obviously planned,  but just didn't work out on the day.

1 hour ago, Good shot? said:

Were the players making a statement of sorts  when many of them immediately removed their medal after presentation at the end? Just curious.

My missus commented on that, you can understand they weren't happy finishing second and I've seen lads throw medals away in the same situation but it does look disrespectful. 

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

My missus commented on that, you can understand they weren't happy finishing second and I've seen lads throw medals away in the same situation but it does look disrespectful. 

Basically says it all about the game in general. A bunch of overpaid spoilt idiots in my view.

Whilst I agree that Italy were the better side I also think their dirty play helped a lot too. They soon spotted that England were defending fairly deep and hoping for a goal on the break so they flattened Kane and Sterling on several occasions, even before the long pass had reached them.

In my opinion as someone who hates cheating in any form, at least 3 of the Italians should have been red carded. Dragging someone backwards to the ground by yanking their shirt really should be a lot more than a yellow. Zero tolerance would soon bring an end to the culture that cynical fouls are part of the game.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

Whilst I agree that Italy were the better side I also think their dirty play helped a lot too. They soon spotted that England were defending fairly deep and hoping for a goal on the break so they flattened Kane and Sterling on several occasions, even before the long pass had reached them.

In my opinion as someone who hates cheating in any form, at least 3 of the Italians should have been red carded. Dragging someone backwards to the ground by yanking their shirt really should be a lot more than a yellow. Zero tolerance would soon bring an end to the culture that cynical fouls are part of the game.

Agreed

Both teams were doing that early on though, it's the reason I don't like Sterling,  he's brilliant but always seems more intent on being brought down than scoring. And he goes down far too easily,  the Joy's of the modern game.

opinion as someone who hates cheating in any form, at least 3 of the Italians should have been red carded. Dragging someone backwards to the ground by yanking their shirt really should be a lot more than a yellow. Zero tolerance would soon bring an end to the culture that cynical fouls are part of the game.

I'm not sure about 3 but 2 for sure, I expected VAR to say red for the out of control tackle on  Grealish,  it was a very deliberate act. As was the pull back by the collar you mention,  the Italian new he had lost his man, and it couldn't have been clearer, add to those the constant fouling to disrupt any flow.

I see there was another near Hilsborough incident at Wembley where the well behaved football supporters smashed their way into the ground, wonder if the police will get blamed for that as well?   The independant reports the streets of London a absolute mess after these idiots left.  That sort of behaviour says it all doesn't it?

50 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I see there was another near Hilsborough incident at Wembley where the well behaved football supporters smashed their way into the ground, wonder if the police will get blamed for that as well?   The independant reports the streets of London a absolute mess after these idiots left.  That sort of behaviour says it all doesn't it?

Aye they showed it on the news a steward kicking there legs from under them as they smashed threw the fencing  to get to the stadium 

51 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Saw a video clip last night of people pushing and fighting their way past the stewards and actually gaining access to Wembley,  how that happens these days is beyond me.

Not just here … below reported today!

One person died and several were injured during sometimes wild celebrations in Italy after its soccer team's triumph over England in Sunday's Euro 2020 final.

A 22-year-old man died in a car crash in Caltagirone, in Sicily, as he was rushing to the town centre to join victory festivities, police said.

In the financial capital Milan, 15 people were hurt, three seriously, in rowdy, post-match partying. One of them lost three fingers when a firework exploded in his hand.

In a town near the southern city of Foggia, police believe a hitman took advantage of the chaos in the streets to settle a score, shooting dead his target in the crowd before escaping on a motorbike.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

The only thing I despise more than football itself is football fans.

nice to know you despise me.

13 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It was always going to be a difficult match to win. The red tops hyped it up to the point where the whole thing became ridiculous. The bookies were never fooled apparantly, they always had as an Italy win.

Aye. They were my pick before the tournament too. You just don't go 34 games unbeaten by fluke. I could see where there are chinks in the armour and I wish we'd been better at exposing them - Unlike in previous matches we never really made the pitch wide and looked to get down the flanks after the first 20 mins. We had a chance, but it was always a puncher's chance. Italy just had a better all round game and the ability to mix things up. Still, come next year, there should be a lot of very hungry talent that will want to make amends and in the not too distant future, I think Bellingham's going to be a serious player, possibly even the sort that one can build a team round. But as for the present I'm still very proud of this team.