Euro 2020 Final

chrisjpainter

I honestly think it was Southgate's fault England had a good first half but after scoring quickly they settled down to defend they should of pushed for another goal then settled back to defend . Then he picked the penalty takers why put young  subs on to take the penalties in the last minutes of extra time they hardly got a chance to warm up and touch the ball , The older  guys they replaced take penalty's week in week out for there clubs ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I honestly think it was Southgate's fault England had a good first half but after scoring quickly they settled down to defend they should of pushed for another goal then settled back to defend . Then he picked the penalty takers why put young  subs on to take the penalties in the last minutes of extra time they hardly got a chance to warm up and touch the ball , The older  guys they replaced take penalty's week in week out for there clubs ?

Not really, no:

Sancho on for Walker, whose only penalty for his club was in 2013. Before Sunday, Sancho had only ever missed one (11 from 12) and that's both at Dortmund and International junior levels

Rashford on for Henderson, who's only scored one in four penalties and has missed his last two for England, including in the 2018 World cup and this year in the warm up. Rashford had a record of 17 from 19.

Saka on for Trippier, who's got a 50/50 record. Saka had a 2 of 3 record and was on from the 70th minute. His wasn't about a sub for pens issue and he's been banging them in in training. 

That said, I think Southgate should have gone for it earlier and tried to win it in normal time. Grealish should have come on earlier (although should he have come on for Mount who has the 80% success rate from the spot)

Edited by chrisjpainter

On 12/07/2021 at 13:09, Westward said:

Whilst I agree that Italy were the better side I also think their dirty play helped a lot too. They soon spotted that England were defending fairly deep and hoping for a goal on the break so they flattened Kane and Sterling on several occasions, even before the long pass had reached them.

In my opinion as someone who hates cheating in any form, at least 3 of the Italians should have been red carded. Dragging someone backwards to the ground by yanking their shirt really should be a lot more than a yellow. Zero tolerance would soon bring an end to the culture that cynical fouls are part of the game.

Fully agree, I hate cheating and you know it's coming with the Italians, the heavy tackles were mostly missed or let go by the Ref, so we needed a few more Phillips on the field of play because that Lad got stuck into them.

but the Italians always slow the game down to their pace, if we couldhave kep up our starting pace, we'd have won by half time.

11 hours ago, Kev1gun said:

but the Italians always slow the game down to their pace, if we couldhave kep up our starting pace, we'd have won by half time

We scored inside 2 minutes, should have kept the pressure on and got another one or two.. but we didn't we let a good and unbeaten team back in the game and paid the price. 

They are a dirty team too. The shirt pull was a clever way of just getting a yellow card. The foot onto knee may have looked worse than it was but we've seen red cards for less.

On 12/07/2021 at 13:09, Westward said:

Dragging someone backwards to the ground by yanking their shirt really should be a lot more than a yellow.

Rugby would class it as high and sin bin. So have agree on this. Pulled the top of the shirt which basically acted like a clothes line, dropping Saka to the floor WWE style 

19 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Not really, no:

Sancho on for Walker, whose only penalty for his club was in 2013. Before Sunday, Sancho had only ever missed one (11 from 12) and that's both at Dortmund and International junior levels

Rashford on for Henderson, who's only scored one in four penalties and has missed his last two for England, including in the 2018 World cup and this year in the warm up. Rashford had a record of 17 from 19.

Saka on for Trippier, who's got a 50/50 record. Saka had a 2 of 3 record and was on from the 70th minute. His wasn't about a sub for pens issue and he's been banging them in in training. 

That said, I think Southgate should have gone for it earlier and tried to win it in normal time. Grealish should have come on earlier (although should he have come on for Mount who has the 80% success rate from the spot)

Rashfords penalty was one of the worst spot kicks I think I’ve ever seen, I just don’t know what he was playing at. 😀

43 minutes ago, Scully said:

Rashfords penalty was one of the worst spot kicks I think I’ve ever seen, I just don’t know what he was playing at. 😀

You're not wrong. And what made it worse is that he'd just seen Kane walk up and slam it in to the bottom corner, then Maguire hit it so hard he breaks the in-goal camera.  None of this tippy-tappy hop skip jump nonsense. Just leather it, man! 

Could you ever imagine Shearer walking up like Rashford did?!

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Probably practiced that over and over and snuck in just inside the post, but on the day and when it mattered, scuffed it , it happens and it must of felt horrible for him 

4 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

The only thing that bothers me is they where going to give the NHS there winning bonus round 11 million . Will the NHS still get there 2nd place money ??. 

It’s a grand gesture to be sure, but I’m pretty sure the NHS would spend that in an afternoon. 🙂

5 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Probably practiced that over and over and snuck in just inside the post, but on the day and when it mattered, scuffed it , it happens and it must of felt horrible for him 

Yep. They will have had a great laugh on the training ground about how many times he’d suckered a goalie with that during training. 
I felt quite sorry for him after I’d finished giving him a rollicking from my sofa! 🙂

8 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

You're not wrong. And what made it worse is that he'd just seen Kane walk up and slam it in to the bottom corner, then Maguire hit it so hard he breaks the in-goal camera.  None of this tippy-tappy hop skip jump nonsense. Just leather it, man! 

Could you ever imagine Shearer walking up like Rashford did?!

Indeed. I’m pretty sure Shearer etc are of the ‘whack it through the back of the net’ mentality. 

2 minutes ago, ordnance said:

They overthought the penalty's IMO, they are all professional players any of them should be able to score penalties. He should just have picked any players that were on the pitch for the whole match and let them get on with it. 

I agree to be honest. Obviously some will be better than others, but they are indeed professionals. This is what they do for a living, and get well paid for. 

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

He totally fooled the keeper, but hit the post, he must have wanted the ground to open and swallow him.

Lads in work have said why did players like Grealish who takes penalties for his club not take one?

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Yep. They will have had a great laugh on the training ground about how many times he’d suckered a goalie with that during training. 
I felt quite sorry for him after I’d finished giving him a rollicking from my sofa! 🙂

Doubt you were on your own with that. After Pickford saved the first pen I was optimistic.. again penalties just aren't our thing 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

He totally fooled the keeper, but hit the post, he must have wanted the ground to open and swallow him.

Lads in work have said why did players like Grealish who takes penalties for his club not take one?

Because he was put further down the order by Southgate. Sancho, saka, and rashford also take pens. And have good % from looking at stats 

If it went to sudden death, then you'd want them to be stepping up, so it's a hard decision to make by the boss.

46 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Roy Keane said the same on Twitter and Grealish responded saying he asked to take one and Southgate said no.

Not surprised, he didn't exactly get a huge amount of game time.. something behind the doors for that decision to be made.

Anybody watch the Last leg last night?

Alex Brooker said he arrived at Wembley at 4:30pm and had never seen/felt a more hostile environment,  people throwing bottles up into the air and Wembley way being littered with glass?

This was hours before kick off and we were the home team so I I don't understand that. 

Lad in work went watching the England Scotland game and said atmosphere was fantastic?

So was the difference down to the numbers or because it was the final?

In contrast it's the challenge cup final today, the first half was great, the atmosphere in the ground looks great.