Trailer lights issue.

Eyefor

Help / advice required please.

Just had an Ifor Williams trailer upgraded to LED lights all round (10 in total) as some of the old (bulb type) ones were busted or bulb gone.

Now the trailer lights will not work with my car which has the 7 pin socket.

Attached another car and the trailer lights work perfectly. Attached my car to a light board (with bulbs, not LED's)  and all work fine but the indicator bleeper is now not working.

Any ideas what is going on please?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Eyefor

Mate, some cars do not like leds, the cure is a resistor, it’s too do with such a low current, if you want to test it pop round and you can try my trailer, or truck, or both, I have the resistors somewhere as well, I bought them as my old transit wouldn’t run led lights, but then I sold that and bought the ranger and they work fine.

I have been told (don’t know from personal experience) the euro sockets (multi pin) can cure the problem, I must say I changed over to them about 5 yr back and I love them, so much better than the old 7 pin jobs, twist and lock into place and I’ve never had an issue, no more wriggling plugs to see if lights come on 😀

23 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes. But you'll have to give us more details:  'will not work' ?  The indicators?  Or all lights?

You'll also have to give us a clue as to your car's make, model and year.

Also: Was the towbar fitted by a professional, or some amateur with scothloks?

No lights work at all using my car 2005 Subaru Forester XT.

Tow bar fitted professionally and no issues to date towing several different trailers.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I put leds on the back and front of my Landie and had the same problem. You have to put some little gismo....don't ask me what it is called....in the power line and this solved the problem on mine.  Your garage should know about it.+

I think you're right. A little Googling and I've seen several comments about an in line resistor.

4 minutes ago, Free range Rob said:

Mate, some cars do not like leds, the cure is a resistor, it’s too do with such a low current, if you want to test it pop round and you can try my trailer, or truck, or both, I have the resistors somewhere as well, I bought them as my old transit wouldn’t run led lights, but then I sold that and bought the ranger and they work fine.

I have been told (don’t know from personal experience) the euro sockets (multi pin) can cure the problem, I must say I changed over to them about 5 yr back and I love them, so much better than the old 7 pin jobs, twist and lock into place and I’ve never had an issue, no more wriggling plugs to see if lights come on 😀

Thanks Rob.

It does seem to be the LED's my car doesn't like. I'll let you know how this progresses.

1 minute ago, Eyefor said:

I think you're right. A little Googling and I've seen several comments about an in line resistor.

Thanks Rob.

It does seem to be the LED's my car doesn't like. I'll let you know how this progresses.

I can promise you that’s the problem, thankfully all mine don’t mind running LED now, 

1 minute ago, Free range Rob said:

I can promise you that’s the problem

It would be if it was only his indicators, but as it's all his lights, I don't think it's the problem, or at least not the only one.

In any case, all these resistors do is fix the symptoms, not the problem, by providing an equivalent load to an old incandescent lamp.

5 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It would be if it was only his indicators, but as it's all his lights, I don't think it's the problem, or at least not the only one.

In any case, all these resistors do is fix the symptoms, not the problem, by providing an equivalent load to an old incandescent lamp.

Agreed, except none of mine worked either, wasn’t just the indicators

On 12/07/2021 at 19:43, Walker570 said:

I put leds on the back and front of my Landie and had the same problem. You have to put some little gismo....don't ask me what it is called....in the power line and this solved the problem on mine.  Your garage should know about it.+

Resistor . If  car has canbus the leds dont create enough resistance for the system to recognize them so you need to compensate by bridging the + & - wires with a resistor