Lovely neighbours

Rob85

Was out enjoying the sun in my back garden the other day, talking to my cousin and generally passing the time of day, started hearing some odd "snap...thunk" noises from the neighbours behind me.

Myself and my cousin couldn't quite work out what it was until we caught a black blur about 8ft over our heads and heard something clatter through the tree beside us and hit the ground.

Picked this up off the ground, if its hard to make out, its the shaft of a pistol crossbow bolt. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was their kids messing about and missfired it my direction but this was dispelled when another came over, missed my head by a couple of feet and whacked off the wall behind me, all I recovered was the tip.

Police were promptly called. I really think there is a lack of brain cells about these days.... and I don't think it was the kids doing it.

20210710_190800.jpg

20210710_190810.jpg

Just now, ditchman said:

AND I SUPPOSE THE POLICE JUST TOLD THEM OFF

There's a slight family connection (that being my dad is now shacked up with guys heinously ugly mother) so I explained i wanted an anonymous complaint and just send someone to have a word and find out what the frig is going on.

My missus watched from our bedroom window as the police called, guys wife answered while he snuck away like the coward he is round the side of the house.

When the police called me back she said the girl told them it might have been her kids with nerf guns but even by the tone of her voice I knew she didn't believe them, thing is unless I make a formal statement there's not much they can do apart from go have a word. My hope is that the very fact they were there might put the wind up them a bit... they also spoke to the woman next door who just happens to rent out the house to them so hopefully they might have a word as well.

One thing that boils my blood is any idiot over 18 can go buy one of these things yet I have to have even the weakest sub 12lbft airgun on a firearms licence!

Never fathomed why crossbows are even a thing, obviously everything is dangerous in the wrong hands but Joe public really shouldn’t be able to buy them! 
mom guessing you’re not wanting the confrontation of mentioning it to them yourself, but to be honest that sounds downright dangerous and could have much more serious consequences in the future if they carry on. 
Neighbours/family eh 🙄

Edited by Wilts#Dave

8 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Never fathomed why crossbows are even a thing, obviously everything is dangerous in the wrong hands but Joe public really shouldn’t be able to buy them! 
mom guessing you’re not wanting the confrontation of mentioning it to them yourself, but to be honest that sounds downright dangerous and could have much more serious consequences in the future if they carry on. 
Neighbours/family eh 🙄

Yea I doubt they would like it much if I let a few 22lr rounds zip over their garden. Thing is I think its treated differently because I live in a quiet town a good 10 miles out of the city, if this happened in Belfast at this rather contentious time of the year you could bet reports of a crossbow being fired into someone's garden would have made the evening news just in time to stoke comunity tensions up a bit.

21 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

the least the police should have done was to have a look at the weapon and took it away

Really? On what grounds? Please explain the power they would be exercising to enter his property, search for, and then retrieve the weapon in question when they only have an anonymous report? Perhaps add it to the police corruption thread. 

59 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Really? On what grounds? Please explain the power they would be exercising to enter his property, search for, and then retrieve the weapon in question when they only have an anonymous report? Perhaps add it to the police corruption thread. 

As the person in question does to my knowledge have relatives with substantial criminal records and has 2 uncles who are/were connected to a proscribed organisation(this is Northern Ireland remember) i reckon the terrorism act may cover it.

I can understand why they didn't go full bore on it as its very unlikely it was a deliberate act on their part to try and belt me with a crossbow bolt, but as I stated earlier, if this was a very tense area of Belfast at this very tense time of the year you can bet they would have had TSG or armed response put his front door up the hallway and took a more serious line.

20210714_214459.jpg

Tact doesn't cover it. 

Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public.  It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

As that doesn't apply to him in any way, it doesn't apply  never will do either. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

That would have been a sensible thing to do in the circumstances. 

And unlawful. An unlawful entry search and seizure , maybe another post on the corruption thread eh?

Edited by GingerCat

Dougy perhaps u can see my point. Police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Without someone willing to say, on oath, in court that whatever it was happened happened, then there is no evidence. Its that simple. So no power of entry or search, or seizure, or checking the crossbow etc etc etc. The crossbow act 1987 governs crossbows. It's pretty short and simple. Possible criminal damage offence, maybe even aggravated however they need something to prove it. 

Should they have gone and searched the house recovering said crossbow then the same on here would be pointing out the outrageous abuse of powers. Rightly so. 

7 hours ago, Vince Green said:

We had a catapault confiscated by the police years ago, and all we were doing was shooting at tin cans on some waste ground near the canal. We had only just bought it was a really powerful one with a wrist brace and fired steel ball bearings. We never got it back.

That would have been in the old days Vince, when the Police were a public service, accountable and seemed to care.

Now they seem to be a mental health outfit but unable to actually put offenders away.

On 13/07/2021 at 16:31, Rob85 said:

Was out enjoying the sun in my back garden the other day, talking to my cousin and generally passing the time of day, started hearing some odd "snap...thunk" noises from the neighbours behind me.

Myself and my cousin couldn't quite work out what it was until we caught a black blur about 8ft over our heads and heard something clatter through the tree beside us and hit the ground.

Picked this up off the ground, if its hard to make out, its the shaft of a pistol crossbow bolt. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was their kids messing about and missfired it my direction but this was dispelled when another came over, missed my head by a couple of feet and whacked off the wall behind me, all I recovered was the tip.

Police were promptly called. I really think there is a lack of brain cells about these days.... and I don't think it was the kids doing it.

20210710_190800.jpg

20210710_190810.jpg

Every time someone complains about their neighbors I think of mine. My neighbor won a $100,000 scratch off ticket.  Bought a Asian lady, a dirt bike and a helicopter. He set in it watching YouTube videos on how to fly helicopters.  Then got about tree top level, rolled upside down and imbedded a piece of helicopter rotor into my siding.  A week later my neighbors on the other side was running a 8,000hp top fuel dragster in front of the house and wiped out.   I love my neighborhood.  Sounds like WW2 every Saturday with poeple shooting guns and riding the ATVs around.  That’s my video and me being interviewed https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox46.com/news/neighbors-say-its-no-surprise-lincoln-county-man-crashed-helicopter/amp/

1 hour ago, dodgy dave said:

you live in another world

Your right but I love my area.  When my investments started paying off, and my wife got out of college and went to work we moved into a huge house in the city.  Real upper class and very liberal.  Everyone was looking for a reason to call the police on you.  But this neighborhood had a private gun range that the neighborhood built( nothing fancy just a guy that put a berm up and let people shoot for free). and we would sneak into it and shoot as the city park range was $10 plus it was full of ghetto people.  One day as was pulling out of the neighborhood range I saw a little 1200sqft house for sale.  I called and they told me a price and I bought it kinda on the spot without really seeing the inside.  I told my wife I was under contract for a house and she kinda figured it was a rental but she really liked it.  She joked about selling our big house and so I listed it and it sold in 1 hour but they wanted us out in 30 days.  So we moved into our RV while we worked on the house.  Then I broke my back and we ended up in the RV for almost a year as I couldn’t really work on the house and all my other properties were rented out.  But long story short we live in a very Republican area now where nobody cares what you do unless you mess with their property.  Everyone is very respectful and quiets down at night even though there is no noise ordinance. 

Guest cookoff013

Supprised not much done about bolts being shot at you.

i knew someone had her french windows shot out several times.

Local scrotes were firing .45acp at her large french windows. police called, Insurance paid up. Couldnt stop it. .

OP I would of deffo made a full complaint and showed plod the bolts .... one of them may of well ended someones life or seriously injured them ...

Nobodyimportant .. do you want a live in assistant I clean guns very good handy around vehicles being a retired mot tester/mechanic and not too bad at joinery

2 hours ago, hodge911 said:

.... Nobodyimportant .. do you want a live in assistant I clean guns very good handy around vehicles being a retired mot tester/mechanic and not too bad at joinery .....

But are you purdy? 😂