Holy grail

Ultrastu

Did something today that I've tried and fail to achieve many times. 

I shot 2 pigeons with one cartridge .

The 2 birds flew in close together and were about to land in a tree that's 45 yds away I shot at one as the other crossed exactly behind him at around 40 yds they both dropped just at the foot of the tree  literally 1 m apart dead .

This was with 19 grm of no6  from my .410 

Best shot of the year so far and I've had a few bueaties  already   .

Photo has a 3rd bird I picked up while walking over to retrieve the pair .

20210713_182959.jpg

I remember in my early teens when rabbits were plentiful stalking and shooting 4 rabbits with one shot from my Cooey .410. I only saw and aimed at 2 that were lined up only to find two more killed further out unseen in the grass albeit youngsters. These days I’m lucky to shoot one rabbit let alone four, although I’ve had two pigeons with one shot on quite a few occasions over my 60 odd years of shooting. It’s bound to happen but not necessarily on purpose.

OB

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, that's good shooting at 40 yards with your 410 , is that a Hush power fitted ? 

Yeah .

I Love it .

5 hours ago, London Best said:

If you shoot enough it will happen a lot. 

Monkeys and typewriters  springs to mind  

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Good shooting! I've done the fishing equivalent. One lure, two fish!

DCIM-100-GOPRO-GOPR0886-JPG.jpg

They are 2 beautiful fish .Nice one. 

While shooting clay pigeons I asked if it was allowed to hit both clays with one shot. I did exactly that with the next shot, deliberately.

Have shot two crows with one shot of a .22 by deliberately ricocheting off a rock to get the second one.

Have lined up two rabbits and got both with the rifle, did it with a pair of pigeons sitting on a fence too. One fell one side and the other fell the other side.

Most with one shot was 6 pheasants with 12g. Not sporting but it was for food not fun.

Heard many tales of how many pigeons you could shoot with one cartridge in the 1963 winter as they fed on snow covered cabbage/sprouts/caulis. None worth picking up because they were starving and no meat on them.

14 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

While shooting clay pigeons I asked if it was allowed to hit both clays with one shot. I did exactly that with the next shot, deliberately.

Have shot two crows with one shot of a .22 by deliberately ricocheting off a rock to get the second one.

Have lined up two rabbits and got both with the rifle, did it with a pair of pigeons sitting on a fence too. One fell one side and the other fell the other side.

Most with one shot was 6 pheasants with 12g. Not sporting but it was for food not fun.

Heard many tales of how many pigeons you could shoot with one cartridge in the 1963 winter as they fed on snow covered cabbage/sprouts/caulis. None worth picking up because they were starving and no meat on them.

I was about in 1963 when we had one of the severest Winters on record , up our allotment we had a few rows of Sprouts , Pigeons were that hungry they were landing on the tops while you stood 15 / 20 yards away , we had only just started our working life as apprentice bricklayer's when me and my mate got laid off as the weather was well below freezing and all outside work came to a standstill , we couldn't afford to waste cartridges on starving Pigeons but buying a tin of B S A airgun slugs was no problem , we had a B S A Airsporter and a Webley Mark 3 both underlever and good airguns at the time , we had a shed nearby the Sprouts and shot plenty of Pigeons from what little comfort the shed held . at first the Pigeons did have some meat on them and the good ones were kept frozen  by leaving them hanging up outside with the temp being well below freezing , when we had enough good ones they were taken a few miles up the road to the game dealers Pettit's of Reedham where we got 9d each , at the time the cartridges were 12/6d a box for 25 so we were well in pocket , sadly as time went on with no let up in the weather the Pigeons along with 100s of Wildfowl and Waders got that thin they starved to death and our start from going from rags to riches soon soon brought as back to rags .

P S , to keep in line with the thread , twice in my time I have got in the low double figures with the amount of Pigeons shot with two barrels firing into a large flock , one on Rape and the other on grass , as for two with one shot , not a everyday occurrence but not that a rare event neither , like already said , the more you go the more of a chance in doing it .  

Done it a few times with feral pigeons but that doesn't really count.

I have done it once on crows got 2 with one shot and they dropped together almost at the feet of the farmer, he just poked at them with a ****y welly and just said "cartridges must be expensive!"

Nobody will most likely believe me but many years ago I shot 12 pigeons out of a tree with one shot, black powder muzzle loader, thick fog I came across a small tree heavy with pigeons less than 30 yards away, could only just make out the shapes as Pigeons. Right hand barrel, no choke at the nearest group, 8 were stone dead the rest needed finishing off, never done it since, not even 2 with one shot. Witnessed.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Nobody will most likely believe me but many years ago I shot 12 pigeons out of a tree with one shot, black powder muzzle loader, thick fog I came across a small tree heavy with pigeons less than 30 yards away, could only just make out the shapes as Pigeons. Right hand barrel, no choke at the nearest group, 8 were stone dead the rest needed finishing off, never done it since, not even 2 with one shot. Witnessed.

I believe you Bruno but with some amusement I read that you stated that you had 'never done it since’.

Edited by JDog

Forty years ago, flushed five Mallard from a drain, accidentally killed the lot, 3 and 2 right and left.

2 for one happens most often on duck.

Sixty years ago, jumped a covey of eight Grey Partridge. First shot took five out. I didn’t bother with the second barrel.

most memorable was quiate a few years ago, roost shooting and I was in a big wood with several other guns. It was windy and there were lots of pigeon moving. I had a dozen or so down when I shot a crosser going right to left. I also killed with the same shot another pigeon 30 yards behind that, but going left to right. 

As for doubles, several times with various wildfowl species on the foreshore, everything from teal to greylags. Happened a few times on partridge, especially with wild greys when we had them in decent numbers, cannot recall ever doing it on pheasants though

7 hours ago, scolopax said:

cannot recall ever doing it on pheasants though

I like your pigeon story!

I have only doubled once on driven pheasants, about 20 years ago in Shropshire. Two birds 25 yards apart.

I have never done it on Greylags, but did once shoot 2 Canada’s with the right barrel and another with the left.

Edited by London Best