Holy grail

Ultrastu

As one of the members have already said it happens a lot with shooting wildfowl , this is mainly because they sit in tight bunches and all jump at the same time .

I was brought up at a time where shooting as many as possible with one or shots were the norm and it followed in the footprints of the market gunners, on our estuary we have got a South and North wall and before all the modern day restrictions like the hard weather bans we would eagerly look forward to severe weather from the North , this was when the estuary would fill up with fowl and when the tide was making up you would get big numbers sitting close to the North wall for shelter , in those days the wall was only about 8 / 9 foot with tall grass on the top and it was easy to look through the grass at the resting fowl that were sometimes only a matter of yards in front of you , at times there might just the odd flock and other times the flock could stretch for 100s of yards . Now a days it would be frowned upon but I can well remember the times where I have walked backwards and forwards along the bottom of the wall to see where my two shots would do the most damage , once finding where the duck are tightly bunched a shot across them sitting and the next one when they jumped would often leave anything up to double figures to pick up , if the water was to deep for your thigh boots or broken ice got in the way then I would take one of my gun punts out to pick the dead and dying up , now with all the food banks and no one going hungry those days are long gone , but looking back I am glad I went through them with no regrets .