Granite breakfast bar removal

henry d

Does anyone know how this is fixed to the wall?

IMG_20210713_112336202.jpg.486bbaad5219018a76cf13dd3c1280e6.jpg

There is a slight crack to the top and I think that the wooden support is a retro fit, and the free end has 3 legs to support it.

The top surface.

IMG_20210713_112339946.jpg.e686b67af1a1c8c02dbbd395f7527fe1.jpg

Looking online it would appear that the counter tops are just caulked onto the units and I would presume to the wall and then the edging epoxied to the top.

Many thanks

Last one I saw was a "1920s shelf at side of fireplace fit" where the wall had been chased out, granite slotted in and stuck with some silicone, then papered around it.  Maybe try digging in underneath and see if the granite is flush with wall or semi recessed?

A few options the wooden battern would hold it with the ply helping the granite spread the weight,  it can be fixed with silicone or a 2 pac marble adhesive. 

This also on any units.

The granite is cashmere white ( but obviously a tint of green)

And if you have whole kitchen someone will buy, always lift on its edge as its stronger and always enough labour very heavy.

If it is like my think plastic covered "faux granite" then the long lath screwed to the wall is what is taking the weight at that end. Then if there are NO screws going vertically or at a slant through that lath and into the granite (or a plastic grommet or rawlplug inserted into a pre-drilled hole in the granite I'd also guess at a mastic gluing the stone to the lath? The wooden board is to stop a break just as a wire mesh acts to do so with reinforced concrete.

Edited by enfieldspares

Many thanks lots of good information here, 7lb lump is the final resort.

We would like to remove the breakfast bar as we prefer to eat at the table, but there is also a small worktop across four units next to the dining room window which will have to come out at some stage and it would be a crying shame to just destroy it. It would be nice as a summer kitchen worktop/BBQ worktop in the garden too.

IMG_20210713_112357279_HDR.jpg.8385df6f5e702414b8e2acfb52699666.jpg

The wallpaper is ‘around’ the batten and would suggest to me that counter top is being supported by the ply in the at area and by the cabinet carcasses elsewhere.

Due to the weight of granite ( if it’s true granite and not composite) them all it will have is a few lines of silicone holding it down.

Just go for the upwards ‘tug’ 🙂

12 minutes ago, henry d said:

Many thanks lots of good information here, 7lb lump is the final resort.

We would like to remove the breakfast bar as we prefer to eat at the table, but there is also a small worktop across four units next to the dining room window which will have to come out at some stage and it would be a crying shame to just destroy it. It would be nice as a summer kitchen worktop/BBQ worktop in the garden too.

IMG_20210713_112357279_HDR.jpg.8385df6f5e702414b8e2acfb52699666.jpg

Yes it would be a shame to destroy it. I'd cautiously unscrew the lath and see what happens. Just be aware that if it does support it it'll now be unsupported. Years ago some folk would have made boiled sweets on that sort of marble.

Thanks for the replies, hope to get at it sometime next week and I will post the results just in case someone else needs the information.

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Years ago some folk would have made boiled sweets on that sort of marble

They still do it at Beamish museum in the sweet shop, fascinating to watch it being stretched and pulled before either chopping or put into moulds

1 hour ago, general grievous said:

Definitely stuck down with gobbo. Here’s my outside kitchen that I made using someone’s old granite bought off eBay for £100. I stripped the mastic off it then re-cut it using a £20 circular saw from tesco and a blade from screwfix.

GG

A4F4468B-7CCC-4807-AE35-FBED0D9EFBEC.jpeg.065684f7fb88d990528aba132231e4a6.jpeg

Very nice, something like that would look good in our garden too.

21 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

henry when they put the granite in my kitchen they used mastic to stick it on the cupboards and the upright couple of inches the same   maybe get a palate knife under the tops and try to cut through the mastic ?

Cheers, will do!

On 14/07/2021 at 20:30, Jaymo said:

Just go for the upwards ‘tug’

Which is what we did after loosening the screws, the breakfast bar was attached to the ply, the ply to the batten which was attached by screws to the wall.

Paul Kinnell it was heavy! The end piece was mastic and epoxied to the wall, photo below in case someone else is wanting to remove theirs. The other surfaces are staying put and we will replace the door fronts and drawers and paint the end panels.

IMG_20210723_170939710.jpg.ab9841bda5c35dfcc93dc06f9610acf0.jpg