Some recent work

Scully

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, yates said:

I’ve only just seen this post. Your work truly is stunning. It reminds me of some works by an artist called Joanna Shaw. 

Thankyou. Very kind. 🙂

3 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Exceptional talent to produce work like that.

Thankyou very much. 👍

5 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Nice work Scully! Do you get asked or do murals in the day job/ commercial side?    NB

Thankyou. Have painted all manner of things on peoples walls, but I haven’t painted a mural for a long time. A bloke in the village asked me last year if I could paint a huge Phantom jet on his living room wall. Turns out he used to fly them in his service days, but he’s never followed up on it. 

On 19/07/2021 at 05:48, Scully said:

Never went to college unfortunately, but have always drawn, from as far back as I can remember. 
I have work in the Biscuit Factory in Newcastle, Torrance Gallery in Edinburgh, Courtyard Gallery in Appleby, Lake Artists Society in Rheged in September, and various pop ups and fairs, exhibitions all over really. The annual Borders Art Fair in Kelso is a favourite also. 
Thanks for taking an interes, am chuffed you like them. 🙂

Will be on the look out in Kelso for your work, unbelievable, stunning :good:

17 hours ago, Scully said:

Thankyou. Have painted all manner of things on peoples walls, but I haven’t painted a mural for a long time. A bloke in the village asked me last year if I could paint a huge Phantom jet on his living room wall. Turns out he used to fly them in his service days, but he’s never followed up on it. 

Same here. Cost seem to put many off private jobs. Getting asked to doing more murals in recent years though. I have nowt like the fine line talent you have. Mine mainly simplistic interactive murals in schools, care centres/homes, community hubs NHS etc. Mainly nature/tree of life based if i have input on theme. Always been influenced by C F Tunnicliffe (remember the "what to look for series" ladybird books) since a kid. Keep it simple. Hardest bit i find is doing artwork along side day job/commercial work. little brush v big brush, roller etc. Hence i asked. Difficult to get an arty head on when other trades. noise and folk about. Often end up doing it evening/night/weekends when no one about. Tried to get other artists involved/do them for me but few keen to, can work on busy sites or at height. Or willing to change what they have done sometimes to match overall scheme/decor of job. Find it hard to put a price on creating any piece of art in a general estimate/quote to? Try to find out what budget they have got and create a work to it. I think that's why i have trouble finding other artists that can/willing to work to a budget. Suggested using students in past, but to much red tape/health and safety. . . Even in these difficult times always amazed there's funds available for such things and where it comes from. Co-Op and HLF funded last one i did. Another reason i ask is because at the mo i am looking into how/doing my most challenging one to date. Huge and high 1150m2 hall ceiling, over sprung wooden floor. Meaning only able to use manual light access tower and 2 weeks to complete whole thing. All came about after a random joke about Michael Angelo in a meeting. Been decorating 40yrs and met very few that combine both. . . . Sadly there very little demand now for the other old decorating skills of graining, marbling, gilding, sign writing and broken colour effects we learnt doing City& Gilds apprenticeship/college back then either.       NB

image.jpeg.a75c8c3eb217ae845fde035a495c9ad3.jpegSold this at the Torrance Gallery, in Edinburgh, at the weekend. It’s not a great image admittedly, as the photo’ was taken through glass. 
It is of a Hazel, which is just one of many fascinatingly twisted, gnarly moss and lichen covered trees that rarely see light in a little valley in Cumbria. It was a favourite walk of my little Border terrier, as she could root and ratch about in the exposed roots of rotted trees. 
I have lost count of the number of varying images I have painted of this fabulous tree, each one of which has sold eventually. 

It is a subject I always return to given time. 

On 27/07/2021 at 15:47, NatureBoy said:

Same here. Cost seem to put many off private jobs. Getting asked to doing more murals in recent years though. I have nowt like the fine line talent you have. Mine mainly simplistic interactive murals in schools, care centres/homes, community hubs NHS etc. Mainly nature/tree of life based if i have input on theme. Always been influenced by C F Tunnicliffe (remember the "what to look for series" ladybird books) since a kid. Keep it simple. Hardest bit i find is doing artwork along side day job/commercial work. little brush v big brush, roller etc. Hence i asked. Difficult to get an arty head on when other trades. noise and folk about. Often end up doing it evening/night/weekends when no one about. Tried to get other artists involved/do them for me but few keen to, can work on busy sites or at height. Or willing to change what they have done sometimes to match overall scheme/decor of job. Find it hard to put a price on creating any piece of art in a general estimate/quote to? Try to find out what budget they have got and create a work to it. I think that's why i have trouble finding other artists that can/willing to work to a budget. Suggested using students in past, but to much red tape/health and safety. . . Even in these difficult times always amazed there's funds available for such things and where it comes from. Co-Op and HLF funded last one i did. Another reason i ask is because at the mo i am looking into how/doing my most challenging one to date. Huge and high 1150m2 hall ceiling, over sprung wooden floor. Meaning only able to use manual light access tower and 2 weeks to complete whole thing. All came about after a random joke about Michael Angelo in a meeting. Been decorating 40yrs and met very few that combine both. . . . Sadly there very little demand now for the other old decorating skills of graining, marbling, gilding, sign writing and broken colour effects we learnt doing City& Gilds apprenticeship/college back then either.       NB

image.jpeg.30fe71c4826cbd03d6a4f3d1a155eb8b.jpegI’m a fan too. Have had these since childhood, and bought books of his life and work as I’ve come across them. 
I’ve done a lot of paint effects over the years, as well as small murals, but effects like marbling, colour washing, graining, marmarino etc etc, there is little call for nowadays, around here anyhow. 
Best stint I had was marbling in a Lakes hotel. I was building houses at the time and said I wouldn’t have time to do the work as it would mean doing it at weekends, and as I had small kids I didn’t want to ignore them for about the four weekends it would take. He told me to bring them with me!

I ended up doing the work over three weekends while my OH and the kids jollied about in the Lakes, free digs and free food all the time we were there! They had a brilliant time! 🙂
I just turn down large or complicated work I can’t price, I just can’t be bothered with the hassle. 
Recently tried to price myself out of a big job but it backfired, they said yes! 😕