Speed Camera detector

steve_b_wales

Can any recommend a (not too expensive) speed camera detector? Something that I can put on my dashboard. When I used my Tom Tom Go, it had speed camera warnings etc on it, but my Next Base which is hard wired doesn't have this. I could just plug in the Tom Tom and leave it run in the background, which should warn me. I honestly don't break the speed limit, and most of my journeys are the same each week. But it would be good to have some kind of advance warning.

I swear by the Tom Tom app. You have to pay a subscription but believe you me it’s paid for itself many many times over.

If I drive anywhere off my normal patch, I’ll always fire the app up (and you get real time traffic info and re-routing into the mix).

I tried Waze some years ago and the lack of functionality on the notifications did my head in.

10 hours ago, Mungler said:

....I tried Waze some years ago and the lack of functionality on the notifications did my head in.

I would suggest you try it again. IMHO it's the best nav system by far (especially in the USA) and gives good warning on speed cameras, potholes, accidents etc.

I use it almost daily on regular journeys just to avoid roadworks or other hold ups. 

43 minutes ago, oowee said:

Google maps has it but a better plan, by far is to slow down. Stick to the limits.

sometimes the speed limits are not obvious .

dual.png.f25cb82564d3dd92b6b5c74364ecf6e1.png

These are both dual carriageways ,but the one on the right has a 30 limit.

8 minutes ago, wascal said:

sometimes the speed limits are not obvious .

dual.png.f25cb82564d3dd92b6b5c74364ecf6e1.png

These are both dual carriageways ,but the one on the right has a 30 limit.

On the left there are no street lights so national speed limit unless signposted otherwise.

On the right there are street lights so 30mph unless signposted otherwise.

10 minutes ago, walshie said:

On the left there are no street lights so national speed limit unless signposted otherwise.

On the right there are street lights so 30mph unless signposted otherwise.

Round our way there’s lots of dual carriageway that goes from 70 mph, to 50mph or straight to 40 / 30 mph. 

I used to drive round london quite a bit and if I tried it now (and as unfamiliar to me) I reckon I’d lose my licence in a day not by doing anything daft, just being caught out. 

22 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Round our way there’s lots of dual carriageway that goes from 70 mph, to 50mph or straight to 40 / 30 mph. 

I used to drive round london quite a bit and if I tried it now (and as unfamiliar to me) I reckon I’d lose my licence in a day not by doing anything daft, just being caught out. 

You'd definitely get caught out round here. Most of the speed limit changes are covered in foliage. Not sure how that would stand up in court.

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

People use stuff like this.  It goes on clear and makes is where a camera can’t read the number.  I don’t know if it works or not but I have never gotten a ticket in the mail.  

591E1F15-FBA1-40D7-99F5-71486BAD60A8.png

63AD8224-2EB5-444E-9620-0955B05BAE31.jpeg

Very much doubt that will work with modern speeding cameras. They don’t use flash anymore. 

On 15/07/2021 at 19:05, Dougy said:

Google maps has it on doesn't it ? 

Yes ....

I went to leeds a couple of weeks ago to pick up (new to me) xtrail t31 used my phone as a satnav and was very surprised at the level of accuracy of the warnings for speed cameras both fixed and the devils invention mobile ones .

My phone is nothing fancy its about 4yrs old honor5 smartphone