Air rifle opinions please.

harrycatcat1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

TBH, in 40+ years of Air gunning I have yet to meet a Gamo that I would buy, there's a reason they're cheap. What do you need it for may I ask?

Well it would be used for squirrels and corvids mainly/occasionally. I thought when I wanted to use it it pull it out of the cabinet and pump it and away we go. I didn't want all the pcp multishot bottle job but thought that this single shot not spring little recoil might fit the bill?

It's just a cheap Gas Ram, for £200 I would look around for a decent standard break barrel gun, at the very least try one before you part with your money. If it was me I would be looking on Guntrader for a reasonable condition early HW35 or Original, even a BSA Mercury would be well in front on my wish list, way, way in front of any Gamo. Nothing in your local shops? Add another £100 and you can start looking at quality guns like the HW80,77 etc.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

It certainly sounds as though a HW is the way forward then. Thanks for everyone's  candid views and advice 👍

look up hw99 galling before you do anything mine galled straight out of the box and it had the so called hw fix fitted piece of utter rubbish 

10 minutes ago, Dasher said:

Just spend the extra and get an HW99 and have a gun that will last for a very long time and be far more accurate and dependable, and if you don't want to keep it it will hold reasonable money when sold.

Read a few posts by lads getting 99s, new for £225 got to be a better gun all round. 

If you do get any issues then you return it under warranty,  simple. 

HW99 is by far better than the Gamo but as clangerman has said they do have galling issues, which they seem unable to get right. 

I was faced with this very dilemma, my 20 year old, Birmingham made, Webley Exocet finally gave up the go and all I wanted was something solid, no frills and in the £200 mark. It was impossible to find, everything is junk made in Spain that won’t last 2 years. After much deliberating I paid the extra for a HW97 and I haven’t looked back. 

The rifle is well build, very accurate and will certainly last me another 20 years I’m sure. 

34 minutes ago, clangerman said:

look up hw99 galling before you do anything mine galled straight out of the box and it had the so called hw fix fitted piece of utter rubbish 

Is it every gun that has this or one now and again? Is it apparent from new or does it come over time?

I wouldn't discount that particular  gamo so quickly .

The igt (gas ram ) system can be a bit harsh on the  hollow plastic stocked guns with no weight .but the beech stock and shrouded barrel will help tame it .

And it could be a fairly good gun .often the biggest issue of gamo's  Is the rubbish triggers but they make many different types , some terrible some not so bad .it ask to shoot it a couple of times even if it's just into a pellet trap to get a feel for the trigger and the noise and recoil. And also how it feels when cocking it .

Hw99 is a nice gun but they have a ridiculously set back  pistol  grip which requires big monkey hands to get your finger to the trigger .though u can buy set back triggers for them .if you want .

Bsa lightening  anybody ? 

Edited by Ultrastu

Hello, if I ever was looking at another springer HW 99 S would be top of list, yes a scope and silencer extra ,  an okay 6.9llbs , just to add they were £253 in 2012 

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Is it every gun that has this or one now and again? Is it apparent from new or does it come over time?

Hello, if you go on the UK AGF there's a list of HW springers where galling had been sorted with dates, anyway if you buy new and this happens send it back under warranty, HC will soon get fed up and sort it pre sale, 

some do some don’t but why buy a product with known faults hw don’t deserve the money if the product is not up to use mine was caused by the cocking linkage rivet being to tight fixed it sold it bought a s510 never looked back carry it almost every day faultless tool 

5 hours ago, Dasher said:

Just spend the extra and get an HW99 and have a gun that will last for a very long time and be far more accurate and dependable, and if you don't want to keep it it will hold reasonable money when sold.

I had a 99s for about 7 years, traded for my first shotgun. No galling and really rather accurate. No issue at all bar a new spring which is to be expected. Many rabbits and pigeons with it. Worth the money and really as accurate as you can be with a break barrel springer, mine was under an inch at 30m standing easily, albeit I used it a  lot. The .22 is better they say than the .177. Mine was .22. 

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Gamo. Rubbish triggers. Save your money and buy a pre-owned BSA. Springer or PCP it doesn't matter.

I'd have another BSA PCP any day but the break barrel's have one major draw back in that the barrel pivot is only a pin and as such not adjustable for ware.

If one came along take a close look at a Cometa fenix 400. I bought mine on impulse (and it was half price clearance) glad I did. very accurate and consistent over the chrono. Good trigger when its adjusted properly and the Barrel pivot is a threaded bolt with lock screw-as it should be. If you look at anything second hand be careful, any gun can wear or go wrong, or more commonly its just not be looked after. There should be a law against gun abuse!!😄

I am in a bit of a quandary-

I have not used an air rifle regularly for 52 years since I was a young teen.

Do I repair my old BSA Meteor with a new spring etc and put a scope on it?

Buy a HW 99s fit a scope and silencer ?

Push the boat out and buy a pcp with a scope and silencer?

Not sure 🤔🤔

Not sure 🤔🤔

Both. Why not?

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Not sure 🤔🤔

Hello, I was much the same, I did the springer with an under lever but just could not use it like back in my teen so I bought a Falcon PCP when they were still at the same factory as AA, fast forward 20 years and would not be without a PCP, my advice harry is repair the Meteor for old times sake  and buy a PCP, plenty to choose from £200 to £2000 , do some searching and see what takes your fancy, there's plenty on PW who have PCP air rifles, good deals can be had second hand, when you have one in mind let us know, air pumps are better these days but the air cylinders make life so much better for us old UN's 🤔😁