Air rifle opinions please.

harrycatcat1

If you do buy a break barrel be aware that the supposed safety benefit of modern "anti bear trap" devices mean you can't uncock the gun (as we used to) by firmly holdimng the broken barrel and pulling the trigger. The only way with an "anti bear trap" is now to fire the gun off. For that reason if you do go break barrel (or underlever) check if that is important to you how you can uncock it...or not!

Edited by enfieldspares

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

If you do buy a break barrel be aware that the supposed safety benefit of modern "anti bear trap" devices mean you can't uncock the gun (as we used to) by firmly holdimng the broken barrel and pulling the trigger. The only way with an "anti bear trap" is now to fire the gun off. For that reason if you do go break barrel (or underlever) check if that is important to you how you can uncock it...or not!

Thanks for that advice, I presumed wrongly that you would be able to do that with them all. Used to do it a lot with the old meteor. 

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Are there any single shot "under lever pcp" air rifles worth considering? I think it's the diver bottle and faff putting me off a multi shot pcp.

Edited to say that's why I posted the link initially. 

Once you have the bottle and know what your doing there isn't much faff really,  you can buy a full starter kit with bottle or pump for the price of a decent springer these days, the Phox is a well thought of gun that many start out with.

36 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Once you have the bottle and know what your doing there isn't much faff really,  you can buy a full starter kit with bottle or pump for the price of a decent springer these days, the Phox is a well thought of gun that many start out with.

Thanks I will check it out 👍

40 minutes ago, Mice! said:

This one? Is it not out of the same stable as my original post?

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/pre-charged-pneumatic-pcp-air-rifles/gamo-phox-rifle-pack-22/17813

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Are there any single shot "under lever pcp" air rifles worth considering? I think it's the diver bottle and faff putting me off a multi shot pcp.

Edited to say that's why I posted the link initially. 

Hello, under lever ?  If you just want a single shot PCP the Air Arms 400 ? and quite easy to pump up to 180 bar, where's your nearest RFD Harry ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok harry, do you mean an under lever spring rifle ?

Like I say I am not up on the terminology but a pcp air rifle that you get the pressure up like in the link that I put up in my first post. That's why I was leaning towards it because it has a scope and silencer.  Some say stear clear and some say that they are ok for the money 🤔🤔

8 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Like I say I am not up on the terminology but a pcp air rifle that you get the pressure up like in the link that I put up in my first post. That's why I was leaning towards it because it has a scope and silencer.  Some say stear clear and some say that they are ok for the money 🤔🤔

Hello, what PCP air rifle kit are you looking at ? Ah was it the Gamo phox ? on the link, ?

58 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks I will check it out 👍

This one? Is it not out of the same stable as my original post?

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/pre-charged-pneumatic-pcp-air-rifles/gamo-phox-rifle-pack-22/17813

Yes mate, for a starter kit it looks like great value,  the scope will be basic but it's a full set up, you could likely get something similar second hand but its knowing what your looking for.

I'd probably go 177 though,  pellets are cheaper these days, and a little more forgiving for accuracy. 

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

It sounds to me as if the poster is looking for an SSP, Single Stroke Pneumatic.

This is the type of thing really.

Sorry wrong link 🙄

Edited by harrycatcat1

That's £500?, in all honesty you could buy a used AA S410 kit for another £100, these are universally recognised as a quality gun that will give most rifles a good run for their money. Don't be in a rush, try as many as you can, also from the same stable is the TX200 and the Prosport, worth looking at if you don't want a tank/pump but both are heavy guns. 

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

It sounds to me as if the poster is looking for an SSP, Single Stroke Pneumatic.

This one, I think 🤔

https://www.mundilar.net/en/air-rifles/-gamo-air-rifles/air-rifles-gamo-igt-new/air-rifle-gamo-hunter-maxxim-igt.html#/caliber-4_50mm_177/gun_bag_case-none/optional_scope-gamo_4x32_wr

Just now, bruno22rf said:

That's £500?, in all honesty you could buy a used AA S410 kit for another £100, these are universally recognised as a quality gun that will give most rifles a good run for their money. Don't be in a rush, try as many as you can, also from the same stable is the TX200 and the Prosport, worth looking at if you don't want a tank/pump but both are heavy guns. 

Sorry posted wrong link

Hello, be careful of buying from the EU as some retailers and not posting to UK and some are confiscated by uk border force, I know it's not easy finding the right air rifle, so many different opinions , new or second hand, shop or private sale, why don't you sort your springer first and then look around for a good deal on a PCP, the Meteor is fairly basic and quite easy to fit a tune kit, keeping to the standard meteor spring and decent piston seal, fit a slip on silencer, hawke scope and 1 piece mounts, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, be careful of buying from the EU as some retailers and not posting to UK and some are confiscated by uk border force, I know it's not easy finding the right air rifle, so many different opinions , new or second hand, shop or private sale, why don't you sort your springer first and then look around for a good deal on a PCP, the Meteor is fairly basic and quite easy to fit a tune kit, keeping to the standard meteor spring and decent piston seal, fit a slip on silencer, hawke scope and 1 piece mounts, 

Good point about buying from abroad 👍

I am going to take your advice and use the meteor and see what turns up here.

Off to put some squirrel feeders up this week in a wood let them get used to eating the peanuts then see if I can hit any with the meteor next week 🙃

Essex cut price airguns will sell you a P15 for under £400 (the best price you will find anywhere, some are asking more second hand), this will give you enough money for a used Nikko Stirling or Hawke scope and a pump. The P15 is regulated, will put over 100 shots down range within a few fps of each other, weighs less than a tarts handbag, is dead easy to work on (the trigger is usually terrible but 5 minutes with a key and you're laughing) and matches my S510R for accuracy. Shame you're not local to me, I would lend you mine for a couple of weeks.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Essex cut price airguns will sell you a P15 for under £400 (the best price you will find anywhere, some are asking more second hand), this will give you enough money for a used Nikko Stirling or Hawke scope and a pump. The P15 is regulated, will put over 100 shots down range within a few fps of each other, weighs less than a tarts handbag, is dead easy to work on (the trigger is usually terrible but 5 minutes with a key and you're laughing) and matches my S510R for accuracy. Shame you're not local to me, I would lend you mine for a couple of weeks.

I will have a look thanks 👍

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

That's a really good recommendation they have some good stuff on there. Are these any good?

This would be better that getting one from abroad and a 12 months warranty. 

Screenshot_20210718-200731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1