Salad dressings recipes

henry d

I love salad, but due to a bit of a hectic time I have not had many for 2 years and wondered who makes their own and what's the recipe?

Mine off the top of my head;

Simple - 3 parts olive or rapeseed oil and 1 part vinegar, little salt and pepper to taste, sugar if too astringent. I put mine in a jar of some kind with a lid and shake until well combined.

Mustard and honey - same as above but add the mustard and honey in small amounts until you like the taste.

Balsamic - as basic but use balsamic vinegar

Tomato salad dressing - chop and deseed some tasty Tom's, make a balsamic dressing but add crushed and chopped basil leaves combine and leave at room temperature and serve on tostadas or unbuttered crunchy bread or ciabatta rubbed with the cut end of a garlic clove.

Dressing with fish/shellfish - basic recipe but use lemon instead of vinegar and chopped parsley (capers if you are swanky)

Not a dressing as such but good on pork and mackerel - in a pestle and mortar mash a clove or two of garlic, a small sprig of rosemary leaves, and a decent pinch of sea/rock salt. As it gets sticky add a little vegetable oil until you get a loose paste. If it's a thick piece or joint of pork, or jumbo mackerel start to cook without the marinade and add halfway or the garlic burns.

So what have you got?

Classic vinaigarette for me, usually with a squeeze of lemon.

Love balsamic syrups in the mix as well - Where the hell was balsamic before 2000??

And for fat salad days, Caesar dressing or a blob of good old fashioned salad cream (especially if the "salad" involves chips!)

21 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I like a very simple salad dressing.

Mayonnaise, salt, freshly ground black pepper and lots of lemon juice.

Place in a jar and shake to emulsify.

Sometimes I add some chilli flakes too.

Like the idea of this, thanks

On 16/07/2021 at 12:53, henry d said:

Simple - 3 parts olive or rapeseed oil and 1 part vinegar, little salt and pepper to taste, sugar if too astringent. I put mine in a jar of some kind with a lid and shake until well combined.

Add about half a teaspoon of Dijon (or other not too sharp) mustard.  It helps both the mixing (and reduced the tendency for the oil and vinegar to separate quickly) and improves the flavour.

A clove of crushed garlic is a nice addition IF you like garlic (I love it).

14 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I used to know a guy in the late 90s that would come to America once a year to visit family.  He would load an entire suitcase up with ranch powder. to take back to the Scotland for his family and friends.   Ranch is my choice 99% of the time.  I find it odd you guys don’t love it as well.  

I’ve never tried it. Looking online it seems “Newman’s own” is the brand the supermarkets have. 

2 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I used to know a guy in the late 90s that would come to America once a year to visit family.  He would load an entire suitcase up with ranch powder. to take back to the Scotland for his family and friends.   Ranch is my choice 99% of the time.  I find it odd you guys don’t love it as well.  

Take it or leave it to be fair - Doesn't really rock my boat

3 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I’ve never tried it. Looking online it seems “Newman’s own” is the brand the supermarkets have. 

Newman’s is ok.  But I like the original style made with the powder. 

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Take it or leave it to be fair - Doesn't really rock my boat

Is it available at every restaurant over here.  Like mustard

4 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

But I like the original style made with the powder.

We can get "Hidden Valley" original Ranch here (Amazon), but it is very expensive - presumably because it is imported, - a 1 pound jar costs 18 pounds in money (about 24 dollars).  I assume it is nothing like that much in the US?

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

We can get "Hidden Valley" original Ranch here (Amazon), but it is very expensive - presumably because it is imported, - a 1 pound jar costs 18 pounds in money (about 24 dollars).  I assume it is nothing like that much in the US?

I think the one pound jar is $9.99.  It’s worth it though.  Get you some dukes mayonnaise to make it with.