Heads up....read the label fully

Walker570

Have a few friends in for a barbie this evening and my wife was planning prawn tails, shrimp and smoked trout as a starter. She purchased a pack of KING PRAWN FLAVOURED TAILS sold by Morrisons under the Lagoon label.  When she opened the packet I smelt a rat. They where all perfect in size and shape and obviously man made. I read the small print...far to many additives and enhancers to list but included Prawn Flavour(crustacean) but in fact no prawn/s at all.   My wife not wishing to feed guest with sub standard food trid a bite from one and her remark was  Yuk, Garbage"  and they went in the bin.  A serious con in my view.  BUT as I said to her.."READ THE ####!!!###!Y LABEL IN FUTURE".   but to be fair it would be very easy to pick these out and think you had the real thing.   Her reaction was enough and I didn't risk a bite.

We was in local meat warehouse few months ago I seen these lobster tails at nice price but the missis said will check see if the price was right she was told it was so we had packet so that night I thought nice bit Stilton glass or two port and couple tails would do me nicely how my god it was blxxdy vile processed sweepings up of some kind what ever it was straight in the bin never no more but the cheese and port made up for it

Before she retired my wife used to run a fishmongers shop.

Prawn flavoured tails are what she called "pinks" flavoured white fish meat.

Crab sticks and fish sticks generally use the same white fish only the flavouring differs.

Mostly sold to drunks on a Saturday afternoon on their way to a football match or on the way home having been told by the Mrs to get some fish or BBQ meat😂

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Langoustines, whole are just divine, not had them for years and feeling the urge to get some after reading this. 

I use about 10kg a week, a sweeter alternative are squat lobster, very similar to langos but found if the creels are shot nearer rock

Aldi and Morrisons usually have a very good selection. Our Morrisons fish counter is always full of unusual tempting items. This was one occasion when my wife was fooled by the labelling.... never again.  I use those copper sheets on my barbecue and salmon cooks beautifully and you still get those brown lines and the skin crisps up. A salmon steak with a 'stick' full of nice big grilled prawns takes some beating.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I read this post with envy !!.

For most of my life I have loved any sort of sea food / shellfish .

Welks with black pepper & vinegar mussels with garlic butter prawns ect ect .then about 4yrs back I seen some crayfish tails in Lidl and thought I haven't tried them so bought a pack .... Had them with a home made salad and they were lovely .

BUT 5-6 HOURS LATER  lying in bed I started itching all over which steadily increased. After about 20mins I got up put light on and looked in the mirror 😲 I looked a right state covered in big red blotches , so not having any anti histamines in I went to A&E as I'd never had an allergic reaction before and didn't know how bad it could get .

I'm pleased I did as after getting there 10 mins later I was projectile vomiting and just about passing out . An injection of anti histamines and a couple of hours later started to feel better .

Result is I'm now allergic to shellfish as I've tried shrimp and prawns and had the 1st signs each time but I now have a supply of anti histamines in stock all times.

I have therefore deleted seafood from my diet and I do miss it