Flys in the house 🪰

harrycatcat1

Last week we had stacks of flies coming in the house. So I went down to B & M bargains and brought a packet with two of these things in the picture in it. It's the Doff make. Since putting one in the living room and one in the kitchen we have had very few come in. Those that do come in seem to clear off very quick. For £2.99p it was a good investment 👌

Don't know how it works but good at the moment.

20210718_175029.jpg

To be honest I never expected them to work but bought them just to shut my Mrs up but today we have only seen one fly in the house up to yet and that took off sharpish. 

They must give something off that the flies don't like.

Edited by harrycatcat1

13 hours ago, redial said:

Worth knowing.

Some summers we get flys coming in from the chimney.

Few years ago we suffered a plague of flies in the house. We traced them to emerging from the log burner, unused in Summer. I reckon there was a dead jackdaw in the chimney as we had heard a fluttering a week or so earlier. A match in the stove cured the problem.

Glad we’re not the only ones with this problem!

Tried the window stickers, spray ( tend not too as it’s the kitchen area mainly that has the problem), citronella, electron fly swat and this contraption that arrived yesterday which is ‘pants’

Best thing so far is a £2.98 plastic fly pistol 🔫- takes me back to my youth of removing the fly swat part and replacing with a drawing pin…..

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Best thing so far is a £2.98 plastic fly pistol 🔫- takes me back to my youth of removing the fly swat part and replacing with a drawing pin…..

My granddaughter bought me a six shot wooden rubber band firing revolver. Great sport in the conservatory. 
We get lotsa flies because we are surrounded by a dairy farm and get slurry spreading and muck spreading right up to the garden. In fact, once he   
“ accidentally” spread my lawn. When I jokingly complained (we are good friends and shoot together) he sent me a bill for the muck!

I have two (had) two problems with flies.

First was 'cluster flies' emerging in the spring after overwintering in the loft.  Took 3 years to clear using a surface treatment called Formula C+.  Used on window and other areas they congregate (e.g. around loft hatch).  Kills them whilst they are trying to get out to live/breed.  Problem now largely gone.  Apparently - if you have them they will be annnual visitors as they leave a ferromone to mark goo hibernation places.  I hope that has now after 3 years faded away.

Second an ongoing visitation of houseflies, bluebottles etc.  Open a door or window - and one seems to be in before you have even let go of the handle!  Blue tube light thing with electrified grid works pretty well and goes with a lovely 'crack' noise a bit like a rimfire!.  Hand held 'tennis racket' type electric device only stuns them.  I tried uprating it with a much larger capacitor ......... which made a very small improvement.

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

The vaprona stickers in in windows, the non sticky insecticide ones, are excellent and claim many thousands of flies in my house. Also surrounded by farmland and stock. 

Horseflies in the garden are the ones I hate.

Horsefly got me on the bicep the other week..... 

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, me to, got it free in a Chinese supermarket, mines rechargeable , 

I move in different circles to you, I have to put batteries in mine 😂 But I do like to give the spiders, fly tap and pitcher plant a lightly cooked breakfast now and again. Raw fly must be very boring

3 hours ago, Diver One said:

I move in different circles to you, I have to put batteries in mine 😂 But I do like to give the spiders, fly tap and pitcher plant a lightly cooked breakfast now and again. Raw fly must be very boring

Hello, yes it does fry them well, there was a big queue to get these free, my Chinese friend got other one so I bought back 2 but 1 packed up, most Chinese homes have one, not so much in uk 

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes it does fry them well, there was a big queue to get these free, my Chinese friend got other one so I bought back 2 but 1 packed up, most Chinese homes have one, not so much in uk 

Very satisfying when you get one 'full bore' and the light is fading a bit. Lights the room up...I,think mine does a bit more than stunning  them when it has a new battery in

All the electric ones I've had seem to just push the flies away and rarely zap them. We do have a blue light thingy that gets a few but those window stickers kill them in their thousands. I saw a fly walk on 1 and 4 seconds later it was in its death throws on the window sill. Really rate them. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

All the electric ones I've had seem to just push the flies away and rarely zap them. We do have a blue light thingy that gets a few but those window stickers kill them in their thousands. I saw a fly walk on 1 and 4 seconds later it was in its death throws on the window sill. Really rate them. 

Sticky bait near the blue light and you have an active trap that realy works. Trouble with any of the bait stuff is the scent can draw them into the house to start with.