barley cut

mossy835

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

still way off ready in this part of norfolk

Believe it or not they started on the Winter barley today , tonight I had a walk up to Ashby church and two fields had been cut and the combine was into the third field , the first ones I have seen cut locally .

Talking to one of the farm boys this morning about the prospects for this years harvest he was saying the farm manager is expecting a good to above average harvest , all ready far better than last year , with good weather forecasted for most of this week you can bet the countryside is going to look far different than it is now , there will be 100s upon 100s of fields of barley ending up in the grain store and the stubble Pigeon shooters out in force :good:

Looking forward to it, 240 acres. Mostly Barley, 2 fields of rape and one of mixed wheat and barley. Wheat fell out when sowing barley so crop mixed.😄

Muck speading now for several weeks prior to sowing one remaining field. Spraying crops this week before harvesting.

Crows and Pigeon out in force but unfortunately not till about 8pm. Don't know about first light, I'm still asleep 😴

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you foster a good relationship with the Farmers that give you permission, then funnily enough they will happily answer questions and even tell you stuff in good time.

That's how it works here.

AND learn to read the signs...visited farm this morning and it was manic and obviously everyone was flat out. I had  question about re positioning a high seat but just waved and left. It will do tomorrow.  They do not appreciate being interupted.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you foster a good relationship with the Farmers that give you permission, then funnily enough they will happily answer questions and even tell you stuff in good time.

That's how it works here.

mine always stay in touch with the mug who hands out free bottles of scotch lol 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

mine always stay in touch with the mug who hands out free bottles of scotch lol 

Never had to resort to that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

AND learn to read the signs...visited farm this morning and it was manic and obviously everyone was flat out. I had  question about re positioning a high seat but just waved and left. It will do tomorrow.  They do not appreciate being interupted.

Nev, that is what text messages are for, they can be answered when things quieten down a bit.

It was so manic I didn't even text which I normally do. Mobile buzzes and they have to stop and check to see if it is important or not.  Farmers are another breed entirely, great folks in the main but you have to learn to live with them.  Everybody thinks farming is a 'hobby' but it is a very high stress job with a huge amount of money floating on a decision made these days. I have been out at 5 in the moning and then sitting for a fox at 11pm to see my farmer finally go home.  18hr days can be frequent.

40 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i now have 11 fields of barley cut. and more to come, shame about the heat.wont be going out till saturday.

When I went out this afternoon the temp in my motor was 29 , hot yes but we had a South / Westerly breeze and walking along the hedge the sun was the other side and if you were set up under a tree you would have found it bearable , the only drawback would have been the flies as the sky started to cloud up and reports were coming in of heavy thundery showers , although no sign of the rain yet and it should clear by mid night so it could be a false alarm .

This is the third day on the trot the combine have been working flat out and by tonight they would be getting on for cutting around 300 acres of Barley .

Got a call from farmer today , corvids and pigeons on the barley.  Had a look tonight reccying for Saturday 8pm and there was birds dropping in all over the field. Bit of a headache to shoot as there is a housing estate along  the top of the field and no real flat patches as such. Will give it a go and see what happens,  this is the same field I got my PB on this time last year 229 so I hope it's as good 🤞

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes!

when I left the barley fields Friday night they were still baling and picking up for stacking, while I had to watch a big number of crows and pigeon hitting the loose grain to the field side 🙄, just hope there about tomorrow as forecast bright and breezy, bit like me 😁

Not been as productive as I thought, barley stubbles this time. Had a few blocks to go at and good numbers seemed on the cards but only managed two afternoons of 51 and 47 respectively so far. May get one last go if the last block isn’t cultivated over the weekend!