Seizure

the hitman

Hi folks 

My 14 years old cocker had a fit / seizure at about 6.30pm today which lasted about 5 mins.It was very distressing to witness- but thankfully he seems ok now just very tired. He was a little unstable on his legs for about 20 mins after- but no signs of a stroke.

I am keeping him close to me tonight and will get him to the vet in the morning.

I have googled causes- and overheating is a common cause- although we have been keeping him in the kitchen where it’s nice and cool.

Very worrying- and I hope it’s a one off event.

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Hitman 

Hope its a one off too 🤞

We walk our about 08.00 if there awake LOL and this evening around 18.00, Buster our black lab lets me put a cold wet cloth on his head, he just lies there for ages, if they get too hot i will wet a couple of their towels and drape them over to help cool them down. 

We had to say goodbye to the wee man this morning- he never recovered and I called the emergency vet out.

Saddest of times losing a pet and a shooting companion.

He like nothing better than sitting in a pigeon hide - giving me disbelieving glances when I missed.

RIP

Rio

it is our responsibility to help bring a friend to lifes close at the right time.......its a difficult thing to do...you are left with memories and your friend is left with dignity and little suffering

i have done this too many times...as many of us on here as well

all the best 

ditch

6 hours ago, the hitman said:

We had to say goodbye to the wee man this morning- he never recovered and I called the emergency vet out.

He like nothing better than sitting in a pigeon hide - giving me disbelieving glances when I missed.

RIP

Rio

Been there too many times and also had those glances of frustration. Sad to hear you lost a friendand know just how you feel. It never gets any easier and they just don't live long enough.

On 19/07/2021 at 08:45, the hitman said:

RIP

Rio

It is never easy to make that final decision and if anything the older you get the harder it become , whatever I do and wherever I go my dog is always near at hand and I know when his time is up I have gave him a good life .

You have done the same with Rio and your dog wouldn't have had any regrets .

Rest in peace Rio

God bless, I have a solid 5 year old black lab, was out for 30mins and 5am this morning, returned had a small breakfast and resumed normal lab behaviour once food had gone ( legs up and fast asleep ) got up listed, eyes started to roll and have a fit. promptly soaked a towel a towel on his tummy feet in a bowl of water and as soon as his tail waged gave him some peanut butter ( palm oil free ( I use it for him at a lunchtime on big days to help him in the afternoons in middle of winter in those icy duck ponds ) he has been fine all day but a nervous one!

The synopsis I have concluded is although I have fit young dogs, set alarm clock early to allow a brief walk before before sun-up kept hydrated the best I could, the house id cool yet it still happened and I was fully aware. . . . .  my good god how many must have dropped this week with people of ain't got a clue