oil change

dodgy dave

ihave just pulled an old tractor out of the brambles its been there for 8 years that i know off it started within 60 secs on the diesil that was in it i checked the oil and it was like tar is there an additive i can put in it that will thin the oil that so i can drain it or what else can i do

If the oil level is roughly right then the best thing to do is to run the engine for 10 minutes - oil warms up, and will drain out easily.

Fill with new oil and filter, run the engine for 10 minutes, then drain and refill again.

You can get additives to help with an engine flush (Holts brand name, I think ?), but I'm a bit dubious of them

When I used to mess about with old cars I used what is called in the trade "solvent flushing oil" to clean out such gunk. It worked well enough. But when done at that time replace the original filter. I don't know about the quality of the Holt's/Halford's stuff but any GOOD motor factors will advise on quality solvent flushing oil....ask for what the main dealers use on their own forecourt vehicles..

The good news is that what does come out...a black semi-hard muck... you can turn into cylinders on a lathe and sell to bullet casters as Batson's bullet lube. Sorry couldn't resist a dig at such a superior product (LOL) that was once inflicted on unknown British homeloaders! Awful stuff it was too. 

Edited by enfieldspares

if in doubt pop the sump off about 10 min clean all the junk out with parafin or jizer or similar and a scraper     check pickup pipe and strainer is clean and if not remove and clean  refit        new filter and cheap oil   run it up hot   drain and redo     filter and good oil  you should be good     the diesel side  clean tank pipes taps etc   and new filters water wrecks injectors

9 hours ago, Saltings said:

if in doubt pop the sump off about 10 min clean all the junk out with parafin or jizer or similar and a scraper     check pickup pipe and strainer is clean and if not remove and clean  refit        new filter and cheap oil   run it up hot   drain and redo     filter and good oil  you should be good     the diesel side  clean tank pipes taps etc   and new filters water wrecks injectors

this is more what i would do.........as saltings says

i have in the past run an old fordson major on half desiel half engine oil..new filter..for 20 mins fast tick over.....leave for an hour run up....drain oil....and drop sump and clean oil pick up....re-assemble....new filter....cheap oil....run and work for a day....drop oil ...new filter ...decent oil....

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

this is more what i would do.........as saltings says

i have in the past run an old fordson major on half desiel half engine oil..new filter..for 20 mins fast tick over.....leave for an hour run up....drain oil....and drop sump and clean oil pick up....re-assemble....new filter....cheap oil....run and work for a day....drop oil ...new filter ...decent oil....

I've done that on old cars in the past, including a Volvo 240 I had for 16 years. As long as the oil and filter is changed no probs.

21 hours ago, Saltings said:

Have a look at the front of the tractor before thinking about taking the sump off, most of the older MF tractors used a big heavy cast iron  "Stressed" sump where the sump is used to mount the front steering beam and radiator etc, you will need to make sure you can suspend the front of the tractor once you start to pull it apart. This is why trying to flush it out first is an easier option. Good luck with it

yea thanks for that ive had it for forty years never done anything with it oil and grease wise i need a good kick up the jacksy used to use it the mower and log saw then i bought  massey ferguson 165 and put it on a new mower they call them toppers now i wiil  just use the little fergi now for carting weeds and rubbish on a trailer the 165 is ok but there a job to get in and out the off.  the peddles get in the way.if you go out backwards and find the footrest its ok but if you jump it jars you all over i ended on me jacksy the other day sat leaning against the back wheel im glad nobody saw me