Advice on 10 bore loads

Konor

I’ll be starting this coming season with a single barrel 10 bore. The weight runs at 8lb 9oz any advice on comfortable loads for geese ? I have a Lyman hand reloader but was hoping I could find some commercial cartridges to start me off then reload as required. Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Konor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.The 10 is a relatively modern gun ,around 1960 ish it’s a zephyr honker by Sarasqueta chamber length is 3 1/2 inches. I’d be using it on the foreshore and inland so both lead and non toxic. 

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Give answers to the above, pm your email address and happy to help. You have probably concluded anything heavy in that gun will rattle your teeth!

I’ve put a lot of 1 and 5/8 oz through an aya cosmos 3 inch and 1 and 7/8 oz through both an aya number 3 magnum and classic doubles 101 and found it acceptable at the time. Few shots and the excitement of getting a shot seems to combine to distract  from the wallop. The 10 is an unknown though, although a while back I was occasionally able to borrow an aya side by side or remington semi 10 for going down the shore but that was before the lead ban.

53 minutes ago, Konor said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.The 10 is a relatively modern gun ,around 1960 ish it’s a zephyr honker by Sarasqueta chamber length is 3 1/2 inches. I’d be using it on the foreshore and inland so both lead and non toxic. 

Steel load for 3.5” 10 bore guns that can take it,  and I can’t advise on that, is 42gns Alliant Steel and 42 gms of steel shot using a TPS plastic wad.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Every boy should shoot such a gun at least once!

I did, my first ten bore was a single but I quickly learned in the days of paper cases that you get a jam with geese streaming over your head and you are screwed without a weighted pull through or rod.🤬

I would love to know how you get on with it. I would suggest as you only have one shot you will not notice the recoil if it works ,

If it dose not a different Story . I had a single 8 great fun but I can't remember having to get help to carry the bag of the marsh.

Did it come from holts ? just because I wanted it but my wife resisted it for me.

hope you enjoy it.

38 minutes ago, swan40 said:

I would love to know how you get on with it. I would suggest as you only have one shot you will not notice the recoil if it works ,

If it dose not a different Story . I had a single 8 great fun but I can't remember having to get help to carry the bag of the marsh.

Did it come from holts ? just because I wanted it but my wife resisted it for me.

hope you enjoy it.

It did come from Holts from their unsold lots. The barrels are sound clean with no pitting and probably reblued . The stock was very pale in colour but I’ve stained and red oiled it and that’s bringing out the grain. I’m quite happy to come off a flight with one goose so no concerns about only having the one shot. There will be a lack of a follow up shot on a wounded bird but that can happen  on your second shot when you have two barrels available. I’m looking forward to getting out with it I’ll update when the season opens.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Steel load for 3.5” 10 bore guns that can take it,  and I can’t advise on that, is 42gns Alliant Steel and 42 gms of steel shot using a TPS plastic wad.

I did, my first ten bore was a single but I quickly learned in the days of paper cases that you get a jam with geese streaming over your head and you are screwed without a weighted pull through or rod.🤬

What would be a practical alternative to steel on the shore for a light 10 bore? I would probably be using less than 50 cartridges a season. I wouldn’t want to be putting maximum loads through the gun but was hoping for a nicely balanced load that would pattern well from its 1/2 choke and perhaps accept that I would have to limit my range.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

You could always put some lead in the stock ….

Thats a good idea and may be an option that I’ll go with once I’ve had a few shots with it. Stock is solid so I would need to bore out some wood to accommodate the lead. What would be a reasonable weight to add ?

Edited by Konor

39 minutes ago, Konor said:

What would be a practical alternative to steel on the shore for a light 10 bore? I would probably be using less than 50 cartridges a season. I wouldn’t want to be putting maximum loads through the gun but was hoping for a nicely balanced load that would pattern well from its 1/2 choke and perhaps accept that I would have to limit my range.

Thats a good idea and may be an option that I’ll go with once I’ve had a few shots with it. Stock is solid so I would need to bore out some wood to accommodate the lead. What would be a reasonable weight to add ?

Personally I’d perfect one load for the gun and one medium it’ll keep the cost down 

one powder 

one wad 

one type of shot 

also it’ll save confusion it’ll take you a bit of time to get a load that suits your gun 

just my thoughts 👍😊

13 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Personally I’d perfect one load for the gun and one medium it’ll keep the cost down 

one powder 

one wad 

one type of shot 

also it’ll save confusion it’ll take you a bit of time to get a load that suits your gun 

just my thoughts 👍😊

Thanks for that it seems a sensible way to proceed. I was thinking of a sub 2 oz lead load for inland and a load for the shore but don't know what is my best option for a non toxic load. 

5 minutes ago, Konor said:

Thanks for that it seems a sensible way to proceed. I was thinking of a sub 2 oz lead load for inland and a load for the shore but don't know what is my best option for a non toxic load. 

I’d go for a steel load that you can use in both places 

or you could need two different powders two types of wads and assortment of shot sizes and types and possibly case length 

dave has given you a good starting point 

clay and game have some good data sheets 

46 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’d go for a steel load that you can use in both places 

or you could need two different powders two types of wads and assortment of shot sizes and types and possibly case length 

dave has given you a good starting point 

clay and game have some good data sheets 

Thanks I get your reasoning. I was hoping someone would advise on non steel non toxic loads and the practicality of using them in a 10 bore load. I have no idea of cost but was hoping that reloading around 50 cartridges a year would be a possibility expense wise. I have never reloaded before so I am at the start of what is probably going to be a steep learning curve.

11 hours ago, Konor said:

Thanks I get your reasoning. I was hoping someone would advise on non steel non toxic loads and the practicality of using them in a 10 bore load. I have no idea of cost but was hoping that reloading around 50 cartridges a year would be a possibility expense wise. I have never reloaded before so I am at the start of what is probably going to be a steep learning curve.

Price it up for a 50/60 gram load you can  get a price for bismuth or atm online 

and you will see why 

power shot ATM £75 kilo 

steel shot £18 for 5 kilos 

Edited by Old farrier

20 hours ago, Konor said:

I've seen it done on several guns, but never done it myself. 

One guy I know who'd shot an EELL for years and decided to change his buttpad. He had several ounces fall out with no idea they were there!!

On 20/07/2021 at 16:41, Smokersmith said:

I've seen it done on several guns, but never done it myself. 

One guy I know who'd shot an EELL for years and decided to change his buttpad. He had several ounces fall out with no idea they were there!!

I have Harrington & Richards 10g 36 inch barrel, that has a 3lb plug of lead in the stock , which helps with the balance and recoil , just to add it was in the gun when I bought it .

Edited by derbyduck