Skoda Yeti 4x4

Scully

My neighbour has one and its been perfect over the past three years. Mild off-roading and wet grass don't cause any trouble, it seems to climb its way out of most things. It can't do what a Defender can do but it buzzes up the road at a steady 70mph and you can still hear the radio.

7 hours ago, Wylye said:

My neighbour has one and its been perfect over the past three years. Mild off-roading and wet grass don't cause any trouble, it seems to climb its way out of most things. It can't do what a Defender can do but it buzzes up the road at a steady 70mph and you can still hear the radio.

We had one as did my daughter for4 years and would say as above plus pretty good in snow as well.   Had two problems in that time.  One was due to component failure and not common so just bad luck.  The other was due to EGR problem cause by the main agent screwing up the settings on a recall. (repaired FOC)

I had a 4x4 TD for a number of years without any problems. The build quality is very good and the dealer support is also without fault. 
The VW/Skoda DPF system ( if you buy diesel) has active/passive re gen mode and you must read up on how to use it because it’s quite different to other systems. I followed the guidance but others didn’t which caused a “blocked DPF” and had to pay for ultrasonic cleaning which is expensive. It was not the best for fuel efficiency, the 2.0 TD unit would deliver a max of 30 mpg around town, rising to 40 on a long run.

Hope that helps.

Thoroughly enjoying mine, but a couple of points. Unless you have the physical  attributes of a midget, don't even think of shooting out of the door (front) window and if you're buying second hand with some mileage on the clock with no record of the Haldex being serviced, have that oil and filter changed soonest.

Edited by wymberley

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I was/am looking at these, a very popular car in the highlands, recently bought a Honda Cr-v [right price and place] and its proving to be a good car

Sorry Scully,  Haven't had a Skoda Yeti so cannot comment , I have now had my Honda Cr-v for four years and spent less money than any other car I have had for the same amount of time , would certainly get another one if need be .

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the shape puts me off and second hand prices 🤔, am still looking for a Dacia Duster, 2015/2016 low mileage , a nice one came up in Basingstoke , £7,750, I offered £7,000 in cash, still looking 🤔

I won’t comment on the shape, but strong secondhand prices are usually a good sign.

Actually, I quite like the shape of the Yeti.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Sorry Scully,  Haven't had a Skoda Yeti so cannot comment , I have now had my Honda Cr-v for four years and spent less money than any other car I have had for the same amount of time , would certainly get another one if need be .

D you ever ever use the Honda to go off road..... how does it perform ?

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the shape puts me off and second hand prices 🤔, am still looking for a Dacia Duster, 2015/2016 low mileage , a nice one came up in Basingstoke , £7,750, I offered £7,000 in cash, still looking 🤔

Make sure you buy the Mk2 version, it’s worlds apart from the Mk1. I now have a Dacia Duster Mk2, Skoda got a little bit too expensive for my tastes. Hands down the best value for money car I have ever owned, does everything the Yeti did and loads of handy extras for a LOT less money. I must however state that the customer services are absolutely shocking should you need to use them. I had a minor problem, my vehicle had not been added to their database when I bought it new. I mistakenly thought they could sort it in a couple of clicks, 2 years later no further forward.

Edited by Taileron

43 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Make sure you buy the Mk2 version, it’s worlds apart from the Mk1. I now have a Dacia Duster Mk2, Skoda got a little bit too expensive for my tastes. Hands down the best value for money car I have ever owned, does everything the Yeti did and loads of handy extras for a LOT less money. I must however state that the customer services are absolutely shocking should you need to use them. I had a minor problem, my vehicle had not been added to their database when I bought it new. I mistakenly thought they could sort it in a couple of clicks, 2 years later no further forward.

Hello, ok thanks, what year did the MK 2 start ?

7 hours ago, islandgun said:

D you ever ever use the Honda to go off road..... how does it perform ?

I have used it for the last three Winters picking up on our main shoot , I follow the shoot lorry with no trouble whatsoever , like all 4x4s they have got there limitations but for general use like going down wet and muddy lanes and in wet , snowy conditions I have no worries , comfortable , warm and plenty of room for my dog , wish I got one years ago .parts 

Downside is genuine Honda parts are expensive , as an example I needed a new belt and a bottom pulley , the bottom pulley from the main Honda dealer was well over £400 , we got a brand new one off the bay for around £50 , had it on for about a year now and never been any trouble .

How do other members find them who have been using one longer than I have?

My old man. (A Ford man-  I thought to his dying day ) was persuaded to try the 1.2 7 speed auto version after it came  top in which magazine. The next thing I knew he’d put a deposit down for one and was waiting delivery ( that was 5 years ago )

as an retired electrical engineer and a complete perfectionist it has never let him down and has had brakes and tyres every other minor issues sorted via Skoda ! He would have replaced it if they did a suitable replacement new what ever it’s called is lower ! Which my old man struggles with !

having driven it it’s super quiet and built to a better standard than the flagship vw makes. Quite a few retired farmers and vets use the 4x4 round us and the only issue I have heard about ( from the vets) is rubbers on bottom arms going due to rutted farm tracks.

as pointed out the fact they hold there value so well usually means they are ok.

Would I have one yes - but the old ****** won’t buy something else so I can pay trade In price for it !

I have had my 2006 CRV for many years, its the brick shaped one with the pop open rear window , and the spare wheel on the back.(great gun rest).

Nearly All maintenance for my 2.2cdti is on you tube,  Its never got stuck in the mud , also it has a cam chain driven engine.

On a run I get 48 - 50 mpg at 60mph.  If it were to break , I would search out another one , without a second thought.

(See CRV , playing in the mud ,on u tube).

Hi

I've got one as second chariot, coming into its 4th year, had the Haldex done (thank you Wymberly!). Tyres changed on front last year, usual service items - I have these done couple of thou before due. Major expense - aircon compressor died and unfortuantely the XBR £30 clutch repair wasnt possible - godsend now in this weather!

Yeti Owners club on tinternet is very helpful.

Easier to get up into and out and down than car (Panzer), same diesel engines.

L

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2021 at 19:01, marsh man said:

I have used it for the last three Winters picking up on our main shoot , I follow the shoot lorry with no trouble whatsoever , like all 4x4s they have got there limitations but for general use like going down wet and muddy lanes and in wet , snowy conditions I have no worries , comfortable , warm and plenty of room for my dog , wish I got one years ago .parts 

Downside is genuine Honda parts are expensive , as an example I needed a new belt and a bottom pulley , the bottom pulley from the main Honda dealer was well over £400 , we got a brand new one off the bay for around £50 , had it on for about a year now and never been any trouble .

How do other members find them who have been using one longer than I have?

I have a 2006 2:2 CTDI with 170 k on it!

it’s a second generation one, the only major thing I’ve done is a clutch at 100k it’s still on the original exhaust!! It’s without doubt the best car I’ve ever had, I shall be replacing it next year with another CRV there’s plenty nice ones out there.  The only disadvantage of the first and second generation ones  - is the ground clearance could be better, the fuel tank gaurd sits low, so you need to be aware when off road, I know the third generation on, doesn’t have this issue. 

On 20/07/2021 at 17:57, ditchman said:

skoda reliable........................there aint nothing wrong with putting a small light ..descreet winch on the front.............you will be able to get out of any trouble then..

Hiya Ditchman, Sir,

Hopefully not too late - do tell me more (details) on fitting a winch (discretely) please (to other half's Yeti as I use far more!)?

L

We have the Skoda Yeti And a Mitsubishi  L200 at work for campus patrols and while the yeti has had a few sets of tyres it went off hire with over 200, 000 miles after 5 years with hardly a problem , then the L200 has also had some tyres for a 18 plate its had a new engine and several smaller problems .

The yeti was the choice to drive it was more comfortable and as said could comfortable go up grass slopes,  inclines ect where the L200 was spinning and required putting in to 4x4 drive , the turning circle was great on the yeti on the L200 you could turn a bus .and we always had ample room in the yeti for work stuff but on the L200 if you put traffic cones in the back you had to climb in and out to get them or use a brush to pull and push stuff in and out  giving the choice i would take a yeti