Gun trader data breach

Lloyd90

Got report from VPN provider to say email address affected by a data breach at Guntrader and to:-

-Change password for affected account and all other websites where you use the same emails and passwords.

-Force logout all devices ... with accounts linked to this email.

-Lookout for suspicious emails and send them straight to spam. It's possible you'll receive some pishing emails if you details were leaked.

I had a email from Gun Trader as below: 

Dear Kevin,

This is to advise you that guntrader is investigating a security breech involving its user database that we became aware of yesterday. This information was stolen from guntrader.uk and has been put on the dark web. At this point we believe that the only data taken was personal contact details. No password, credit cards details or any references you might have to any guns. If we get any further information that needs to be conveyed we will update you further. As the passwords were all encrypted in the database they have not been revealed however you might want to change your password for peace of mind.

We apologise sincerely for this breach.

Alexander Andover
MD guntrader.uk

GunTrader are an embarrassment, I tried to warn them of security vulnerabilities in their platform back in 2019 (I have the messages to prove it). They didn't reply to me and I was explicitly clear that it was not a sales pitch and that I was offering to help for free. I even gave them my number and invited them to call me any time.

They need shutting down. It's blatant disregard for security and when you're responsible for collecting a database of gun owners' details the least you can do is pay attention.

They say the user details aren't necessarily those with licenses, come on - behave.

From what I can see, the info that would have been stolen was

Name, address, email address and phone number.

Nothing to say I’m a licence holder- of course I’m registered on a gun trading site, but that’s not to say I’ve just been looking it it for anything other than air guns!

Either way, it’s not brilliant to have a data breach on any site, yet alone a firearms related one. 

On 22/07/2021 at 22:20, Agriv8 said:

The story has hit the BBC News Technology - Just changed my password and did know know it had my address as never sold anything on there ( but done a lot of looking at stuff I can't Afford !!!! ) 

BBC link to Story

It is a worry that there appears no known motive at the moment

ATB Agriv8

Sometimes there doesn't need to be a motive, someone who knows what they're doing, decides to hack then share the info.. and did they put the details up showing the source of the data, or just share the data so those details can be harvested and you end up with spam calls and junk mail on you floor inside the front door ..

• 1 month later...