Jump to content

Guntrader Hacked


grahamch
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Definitely not a scam, not sure they should be shut down, plenty of higher profile companies have had data breaches. Just this is one regarding firearm owner's. Who knows what the reason for the hack was.

No different to the innocent badge site getting hold of cull details.

They should be doing everything within their power to keep their subject data secure, at the very least be listening to security reports from their own customers. It's negligence, it's the very definition of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sporting5 said:

They should be doing everything within their power to keep their subject data secure, at the very least be listening to security reports from their own customers. It's negligence, it's the very definition of it.

Hackers are always one step ahead of the protectors. It's a reactive job to block new attacks. This is nothing new when it comes to breaches. Yes it will now put them in a very tricky position. But yes they should be making sure details are securely held. But they are not the first and will not be the last company to get caught out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Hackers are always one step ahead of the protectors. It's a reactive job to block new attacks. This is nothing new when it comes to breaches. Yes it will now put them in a very tricky position. But yes they should be making sure details are securely held. But they are not the first and will not be the last company to get caught out.

Hackers weren't 1 step ahead here, Guntrader were 1 step behind. They were already advised, they just didn't listen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

By you from another comment I've seen, who else has told them? What vulnerability did you advise them of?

It was a while ago, I don't recall the exact vulnerability, I wouldnt go into specifics anyway in case it got into the wrong hands but I'd spotted something really easily spotted during normal use of their website and reached out to offer help (if it was normal use then its likely to be 1 of a few types of vulnerability). I read on reddit earlier that somebody else did too. Totally ignored.

I totally agree with you hackers are one step ahead (typically) but even had they not had been advised of just some general security concern and they just hadn't realised, I think either way they need to be held accountable for this. There couldn't possibly have been any half decent testing on the security. There are a lot of sensible people panicking over this breach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sporting5 said:

I totally agree with you hackers are one step ahead (typically) but even had they not had been advised of just some general security concern and they just hadn't realised, I think either way they need to be held accountable for this. There couldn't possibly have been any half decent testing on the security. There are a lot of sensible people panicking over this breach.

I think that who ever they have looking after the website and then in turn security of it will need a talking to for sure. If they have ignored Comms that have told them of this again a huge mistake by them and they should be pulled up on this. Any personal data is exactly that and private. I'm sure the right people will be asking the questions we all are about how they could be so slack as to let it happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

North Yorkshire police have just issued a statement via social media to make people aware of this issue.

They are asking people to change passwords and be extra vigilante with home security.

Changing passwords won't do a thing, it's a nice idea but people shouldn't really be using the same password for multiple things anyway but the data leak of names and addresses is already out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Scully said:

How does your firearms office know this? 

Maybe the have some experts following the breach?

But, how can Guntrader’s breach give rise to any info on your security arrangements? 
 

Good Shot, Are you sure the email that was received actually came from your Firearms department and isn’t a ‘phishing’ exercise? Be wary of replying to any email received. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...