Miroku MK38 choice advice appreciated!

CountryBoyTweed

47 minutes ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

the MK38 was the one that felt most comfortable and that was because it's higher in the comb and has a taller action. 

The action height is irrelevant except for the lower firing pin erosion.  It's the rib height relative to the comb height that matters. A proper gunfitter would know that. 

I wonder, is it possible the one you shouldered was a trap gun? Lots of sporting shooters choose the MK38 trap because the sporters have low-ish comb game stocks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Westward said:

The action height is irrelevant except for the lower firing pin erosion.  It's the rib height relative to the comb height that matters. A proper gunfitter would know that. 

I wonder, is it possible the one you shouldered was a trap gun? Lots of sporting shooters choose the MK38 trap because the sporters have low-ish comb game stocks.

Westward it was a MK38 Sporter with a schabel forend. I'm all ears, I've never shot regularly with an O/U hence why asking advice. All of the guns that I handled had a drastically different feel to my SxS so I'm sure I couldn't pick up on the subtleties that a veteran O/U shooter would have. I don't really want to turn this into a gun-fit thread, but I'd love to hear some feedback from entry level Miroku's and Browning owners. I think I've established that the quality/type of wood question will have endless answers, it's a matter of personal choice. But a valuable take-away so far has been the point made regarding re-sale value and the likely hood of being in the dog house for a while if you go for grade 5 wood... 

2 hours ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

Taileron, that's a brilliant bit of feedback. Given me lots to think about - Browning are holding an open day in the SW this Saturday which I've got tickets for.. so with a bit of luck I'll have an opportunity to shoot all of the above and make an informed decision from there. 

No problem at all, glad it helped. You may find that the BWM stand will have some fantastic specimens on display, might be worth an early doors visit, once you have had a blast see if you can pick a nice one up.

Best of luck👍

A recent picture of mine, MK38 sporter, grade 1.

If you zoom in, engraving is OK, wood is OK. But more importantly it fits me, feels good to use and I can generally hit what I point it at.

I think if I had grade 5 I would be wanting to buy something cheaper to use as I'd be scared of scratching pretty pretty😄

20210513_095320.jpg

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You have some lovely weapons, I am just jealous really!  :good:

Can’t help it I like nice guns and nice wood 

id probably get better scores if I bought a dedicated clay gun though 🤔

Just now, Taileron said:

Yes they do, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the bloke operating them, he either hits most or misses most😃

My guns are like that 😂😂

Can I suggest that YOU TRY as many of your shortlisted guns as possible. I have accompanied many people in their search for their first or even their new gun. One guy was sold on a MK38 Gd.5. We had 3 in total before he got one that the stock did not crack within the first week.  The current gun seems to holding up ok though. If you are looking for an out and out clay gun and not a clay/game gun, then also consider the 525 XS Pro and the 725 ProSport. I have had several Miroku models over the years, the last being a MK10 Gd. 3. However I was forced into getting a new 525 XS Pro, I stuck it for 3 months and could just not get on with it, I swapped it for the ProSport and my scores are back up again. I was not able to try the XS Pro, it being new, but I was able to try the demo ProSport and hit everything with it. I still do not know why I could not use the XS, as I shoot with 2 guys that shoot them very well and they are a nice gun, just not for me. So, I urge you to try the guns before you make your decision, good luck.

Well I've had a successful morning at the Browning South West tour. I had an opportunity to shoot everything on my original list, including a few extras (most notably the new Miroku MK11 and Browning 725 range).

My favourite gun of the morning though was by far the grade 5 mk38 Sporter, to be honest shooting it side by side in comparison with the MK11 the differences were mainly visual and it held it's own. I liked it's weight, balance and the way that it came up without slapping me around, couldn't miss with it. 

I think it's hook line and sinker. With the added benefit of being given a voucher today for £350 worth of gear (gunslip/cartridge bag etc) if I purchase my new Miroku within the next 3 months from an approved dealer. 😎

Thanks for all your invaluable help! I'd highly recommend if you get a chance to attend the next browning event, don't hesitate!!! Brilliant day out and lots of free goodies. 

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

Edited by CountryBoyTweed

47 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Good result 👍😊

is that the mk11 in the picture or the one you decided to buy 😙

The MK11 is the side plate in the picture (thing of beauty). The MK38 Sporter and MK38 trap gd5's are beside it. I'll be going back shortly to choose a MK38 Sporter 

17 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

How do you get on one of these events?

They're touring the UK at the moment, google search browning UK 2021 tour. It's as simple as booking online (it's free) but it's dealt on a first come first serve basis. Those who get there first get a premium/VIP ticket which earns you a free sit down meal all on browning!!! 

55 minutes ago, CountryBoyTweed said:

The MK11 is the side plate in the picture (thing of beauty). The MK38 Sporter and MK38 trap gd5's are beside it. I'll be going back shortly to choose a MK38 Sporter 

They're touring the UK at the moment, google search browning UK 2021 tour. It's as simple as booking online (it's free) but it's dealt on a first come first serve basis. Those who get there first get a premium/VIP ticket which earns you a free sit down meal all on browning!!! 

Thanks.i'll get on it now👍