Plantar Fasciitis

billytheghillie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice, I'm guessing it's the heel that's the sore point? I hobble about in the morning till I get going,  after rugby is not a pretty site. 

Problem I find is I'm not walking correctly to take the weight off my heel, which leads to other problems. 

Now the wife has finished for summer I'm planning on getting some physio work done, my brother had shock wave therapy through the doctors and cured it it three sessions.

I feel for you, i had it for about 10 months in 2019, 1st thing in the morning would bring tears to my eyes, as would putting my feet up, every so often i would get a pain that would bring tears to my eyes again. 

I got what they called splinters i think it was, the way i can describe it as you loose elasticity in the tendons at the base of your foot. when you stretch them ie your foot is at 90* they are stretching to the point they tear. 

I could not walk for much further than 100 yds without having to stop.  

I have a series of physio, 2 week of anti-inflammatory's and pain killers none of which made any difference. Ice packs help, put a used plastic bottle (coke or tango type) fill with water and freeze and roll your foot over than where the pain is 2 -3 times a day for as long as you can. Also try standing on the bottom step on the ball of your foot and lower yourself 6 time and increase as you feel you can. 

Mine went as mysteriously as it came, initially it just felt fantastic one Sat night i was elated only to wake up on Sunday with it back, but it went just days after. 

Best of luck getting it sorted. 

i lost a syndicate place up your neck of the woods because i could walk anywhere 

Edited by Dougy

Walking barefoot triggers it. If I go to someone’s house who asks me to remove my shoes I leave. I have no business with this foreign messing about with unshod foot becoming part of UK culture. Shoes off is a very weird thing, “I chose inappropriate flooring and so I expect everyone who needs (not wants) to visit my home to compromise instead”. 

Had it for years, always worst when first getting out of bed, or after sitting for a spell, but wears off as you get going again. 
Had some of those expensive ankle/achliies/arch pads which worked great, but it came back after they wore out. 
Steroid injections worked well too for a while, but are quite painful when administered. 
Mate had it too, and said the best exercise he’s found was to stand with the balls of your feet on the edge of a step and lower your heels as far as possible. The idea is to stretch the arch of your sole, not your calves. Hold it for a count of ten then up onto your toes for a count of ten, and repeat as often as you like. You know what, it worked. Haven’t had any pain for well over a year now. 
Give it a go, you’ve nothing to lose. 👍

Edited by Scully

Go to the doctor and get it documented now as a problem and keep going back. They don't want to do much, just fob you off with physio which is a complete waste of time.

My dad had it for years , really suffered, back and forward to this doctor and that hospital for appointments but no fix. Then he got private medical insurance through his job. Saw some body at the BUPA hospital and had some injections that fixed it just like that. Not perfect but 90% better. 

As he said, why couldn't they have done that years ago on the NHS? All those years of being told there was no cure when they all must have known there was if you could pay

Edited by Vince Green

I found the arch support shaping in Crocs is very comfortable when you have plantar fasciitis. I wear them as much as possible. Cheapest place to get them round here is Sports Direct.

I have had it since 2012. It was very bad all the time to start with as I had it in both feet and I had special insoles from the physio at work which helped. Gradually it has eased off, but I find a lot of walking on hard sufaces can set it off again even now. Birkenstocks help as well as they have similiar support to Crocs, but a bit harder, so might be better later on as it eases.

I have had it a few times over the years, in each case it has lasted 12 weeks.

Wear the correct support in your shoes and it gets easier and then goes.

The supports are hard plastic and initially feel quite odd almost painful but it is like making your feet conform to a shape with higher arches

I never walk around in bare feet, flip flops, slippers or trainers when not at work or out.

The Blue version are made by Talar Made the red has no markings.

IMG_20210722_073559a.jpg

I had it once really bad to the point I could hardly walk. 
I hobbled out to get a delivery from a Jamaican guy who asked what the problem was….. he said his grandmother and her grandmother had the remedy…… cut an onion in half and rub it on the affected area for a few minutes then go to bed. 

if I ever meet this guy again I will buy him a beer!! It worked and within 48 hours I was running again. 

don’t ask me how or why it worked but it bloody did. 

give it a bash 

Edited by ph5172

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I found the arch support shaping in Crocs is very comfortable when you have plantar fasciitis.

I started suffering with this recently - I think it has been caused by being at home in slippers during lockdown rather than in shoes all day (for me anyway). I actually bought a pair of Merrells walking shoes the other month from Amazon warehouse - they felt the best supporting fit from 6 pairs - but when I wear them and walk in them I end up crippled for the day. Going into Crocs during the day have helped - but the wife moans about it

1 hour ago, discobob said:

I started suffering with this recently - I think it has been caused by being at home in slippers during lockdown rather than in shoes all day (for me anyway). I actually bought a pair of Merrells walking shoes the other month from Amazon warehouse - they felt the best supporting fit from 6 pairs - but when I wear them and walk in them I end up crippled for the day. Going into Crocs during the day have helped - but the wife moans about it

She is the classy one in your partnership then?  :cool1:

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh definitely and in your own home who cares?

Everywhere mate - where appropriate - and sometimes I say ahh **** it and still wear them 😆

They are the classy suede ones though although must be 10 years old now and very thin on the base!!!

Get good insoles for arch support, a good one to try is the boots pharmacy sports ones, you just need to remember to take out the insole in your shoes before putting them in. They were recommended to me over anything else by a GP/sports physician when I was suffering with this.

If you have the time a decent physio will give you strengthening exercises to strengthen the plantar fascia as well as ideas on stretching and strengthening the soleus muscle at the bottom of your calf area.

Avoid corticosteroid injections and only use as an absolute last resort. Success rate with them can be as low as 50-50 and repeated use can lead to deterioration of your heels fat pad.

10 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

My partner is an ITU nurse and on her feet all day for 12+ hour shifts and suffers, she says these things are life savers:

Plantar Fasciitis Foot Care Compression Socks Sleeve with Arch & Ankle Support

They did make mine more bearable, and low cost, i also tried the foot splint to sleep in, that ended up in the spare room, 

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have had it a few times over the years, in each case it has lasted 12 weeks.

Wear the correct support in your shoes and it gets easier and then goes.

The supports are hard plastic and initially feel quite odd almost painful but it is like making your feet conform to a shape with higher arches

I never walk around in bare feet, flip flops, slippers or trainers when not at work or out.

The Blue version are made by Talar Made the red has no markings.

IMG_20210722_073559a.jpg

Out of all i tried the insoles made the biggest difference.