Window repair

Mickeydredd

I have some infestation on one of my oak-framed windows.  They are little black hornet type beasts and they have turned much of the one side of the frame to pulp (you can see the lighter shade are mainly to the right hand side of the upright in the attached pic).

I am currently attempting a repair by digging this side out completely and then treating and replacing all affected areas.

Is this feasible or am I looking at a new window?

Cheers

Mike

window3.jpg

Edited by Mickeydredd

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

they look like potter wasps

Someone else suggested Mason wasps (the other name for Potter wasps).  Only one displayed any yellow stripes, all the rest were pure black - I wonder if only the female has stripes?

There were no stored caterpillers, but plenty of stored flies.  There were also no "pots".

Edited by Mickeydredd

On 22/07/2021 at 10:51, Mickeydredd said:

I have some infestation on one of my oak-framed windows.  They are little black hornet type beasts and they have turned much of the one side of the frame to pulp (you can see the lighter shade are mainly to the right hand side of the upright in the attached pic).

I am currently attempting a repair by digging this side out completely and then treating and replacing all affected areas.

Is this feasible or am I looking at a new window?

Cheers

Mike

window3.jpg

Without glass you’ll be looking £600 + vat in softwood. £750 + vat in Sapele ( hardwood) 

timber has sky rocketed currently. Glass will be on top . I think they run £100 per m in double glazed units currently but it was £60 per m earlier this year. 

Personally it’s scrap as the bars have gone too. 
sounds crazy it’s best part of a grand but we live in crazy times .

sorry to the admin if this isn’t allowed but I’m just trying to help out. 

Thanks TT, I figured it would be near enough a grand for a new replacement hence why I thought I'd attempt a fix myself.

I am not in any way handy at such things really, but had a go and it will do as a stop gap until I can part with the dosh!  Just needs a bit of caulk and paint to finish off now.

Cheers

windowx.jpg

That'll do for another year or two. 

Just had two small bay windows replaced in plastic double glazed. The old wooden ones had been in since 1967 so cannot grumble.

Over £3000 but a nice job done, tidy workers and you need to look hard to not know they had been replaced with plastic.  Leaded roofs the lot.  So TTs quote of £600 for a small standard window makes mine look a good deal although we had to sit down a bit when the quote came through but time flies and prices go up as well.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That'll do for another year or two. 

Just had two small bay windows replaced in plastic double glazed. The old wooden ones had been in since 1967 so cannot grumble.

Over £3000 but a nice job done, tidy workers and you need to look hard to not know they had been replaced with plastic.  Leaded roofs the lot.  So TTs quote of £600 for a small standard window makes mine look a good deal although we had to sit down a bit when the quote came through but time flies and prices go up as well.

Plastic is so cheap in comparison. The bonus is it’s just glued together. I have plastic windows for the low maintenance 

Edited by team tractor