South Africa v British and Irish Lions.

twenty

It was a quite surreal result considering the first half performances.

Daley will not start the next match. Watson hardly had a touch. The worst player was the South African tmo. The best as you say were the three named above.

The midweek game against the "A" side was a different thing all together. 

The 'boks fielded 522 full caps and about 15 world cup winners and the lions looked completely clueless. Today I feared the same as the first half progressed and the lions looked like they couldn't complete.

But what a turn around. Straight into the swing after half time and always looked the more likely winners I thought. More so as the game went on and the the bok's discipline and fitness seemed to let them down.

Few lucky calls with knock ons spotted etc and I thought HamishWatson was lucky not to get carded. But you play what's in front of you and I think all of the lions did well.

I thought Manu was useless in his last game. Walking around, blowing out of his @££ and generally seeming to do nothing. I thought much the same today except he steadied the scrum and that gave a great platform. In fact i thought there could have been more penalties.

Itoje had a huge game. Bigger ran things in a steady way. Centres made a few mistakes but we're ok and wingers weren't given much to do. 

Roll on next week. Series win and then the chance to go one better than '97 and get the whitewash. On today's performance I'm optimistic, I think the lions have what it takes to beat SA even if they do work on their discipline.

Edd

14 minutes ago, henry d said:

Watched the highlights and agree game of two halves and something to work on. 

Do you wish for a white wash or boks to win the second test for a nail biter?

10 minutes ago, yates said:

I always want my team to win so I favour the white wash

Yeah I appreciate the excitement of a nail biter, but I can't bring myself to go into a game hoping my side loses!

Just watched had the highlights, I thought channel 4 were showing the games live so that was disappointing,  guessing it was on sky ☹

The highlights weren't the best, you don't see the flow of the game. 

Great win for the Lions but despite being better than in the first half they got away with it.

But hopefully they build on this win, much better going into the second game off a win,  treat that game like a final. 

Win the first Two, then play all the players who have not appeared in the first two tests in the last......then they all receive test cap appearances for the series, and not just mid -week caps. this would not be a bad team from the uncapped players. 

1 Zander Fagerson, 2 Jamie George, 3 Kyle Sinckler

4 Ian Henderson( capt), 5 Johnny Hill.

6 Josh Navidi, 7 Talaupe Faletau 8 Sam Simmonds,

9 Gareth Davies, 10 Marcus Smith,

11 Josh Adams, 12 Bundee Aki, 13 Chris Harris,14 Louis Rees-Zammit,

15 Liam Williams.

10 hours ago, twenty said:

Win the first Two, then play all the players who have not appeared in the first two tests in the last......then they all receive test cap appearances for the series, and not just mid -week caps. this would not be a bad team from the uncapped players. 

1 Zander Fagerson, 2 Jamie George, 3 Kyle Sinckler

4 Ian Henderson( capt), 5 Johnny Hill.

6 Josh Navidi, 7 Talaupe Faletau 8 Sam Simmonds,

9 Gareth Davies, 10 Marcus Smith,

11 Josh Adams, 12 Bundee Aki, 13 Chris Harris,14 Louis Rees-Zammit,

15 Liam Williams.

Good shout.

On 24/07/2021 at 21:09, JDog said:

It was a quite surreal result considering the first half performances.

Daley will not start the next match. Watson hardly had a touch. The worst player was the South African tmo. The best as you say were the three named above.

I note that Daley has been dropped.

4 hours ago, JDog said:

I note that Daley has been dropped.

And Gloucester RFC player Chris Harris replaces him, another name to add to the Honours board at Kingsholm.

Hopefully Louis Rees-Zammit may get a look in at the third test, as another GRFC product.

2 hours ago, twenty said:

Hopefully Louis Rees-Zammit may get a look in

I Hope he gets ten or fifteen minutes before he starts a test, I'm sure he's good enough but has he faced what the Bok's will throw at him?

I expect him to come on just to pin them back and threaten with his pace.

58 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I Hope he gets ten or fifteen minutes before he starts a test, I'm sure he's good enough but has he faced what the Bok's will throw at him?

I expect him to come on just to pin them back and threaten with his pace.

Yeah he is certainly a raw talent, by the next lions tour of Australia in 2025, he will be a shoe in, if he carries on learning.

Would love to see him get a test cap on this tour, but we will have to wait and see, if SA win this 2nd test, LRZ will probably not feature in the 3rd, but a lions win for a series victory, will open up opportunities for the wider squad.

The mind games have begun ahead of game 2.

20210728_005332.jpg.15f33623949c5de5d5ec4ea9b75c59a6.jpg

I wish this would happen to footballer's, you don't often see injuries faked in rugby,  he picked him up and put him on his feet, when I saw the first headline Sunday I expected some sort of spear tackle. 

20210728_005346.jpg.97b91c918f57b0d0cd74cb5787639f57.jpg

So a pop at the players and the officials clearly hoping for a little help on Saturday from the ref.

Poor from the Lions this week, a one off game next weekend to decide the series.

The Lions looked tired this week, back three had no ball, and replacements made little difference, and did not score a point in the second half, a couple of iffy refereeing decisions as well.

Advantage SA next week I feel.

5 hours ago, twenty said:

The Lions looked tired this week, back three had no ball,

I watched the game, I think your above comment should say caught no ball, just constant knock on's from high balls, the camera panned round the players in the stands, I think Hogg is dropped next week Welsh fullback has to play, they never seem to drop high balls against England. 

Not sure the wings did much else.

I thought the first half set things up, the stats showed SA had had to work harder, second half was all SA, without possession you just can't score points. 

The debatable try??

Soo next week it is.

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

What a p=÷$$ poor game kicking to much ball and  keeping it on field when it wasent working .   we was to slow at most rucks and mauls our wings hardly touched the ball i never heared Watsons name mention Gats got it wrong 

How many changes do you think he will make........not many, I reckon, Hogg, van de merwe and Vunipola out, ( if Wyn Jones is fit ), with Liam Williams and Josh Adams in