Recommendations for Minor Stock Repairs - Cheshire

Touchstone

The shotgun in question is a 425 with a standard factory finish.

I'll bear Branthwaites in mind as I'll be working in Handforth over the next few days and so wouldn't be too far away.  I was considering dropping in to Hopkins in Sandbach myself.

Kind regards,

Tim

Edited by Touchstone

Just iron it out, so easy to do and you will get plenty more so worth learning. I used to iron out dents when I was a lad and I was still precious, but 20 years on I would just live with it. For a modern mass-manufactured gun these marks are the tales of a tool that is well used.

11 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Branthwaites are also proper gunsmiths,who do the work in house.

I'd steer well clear of another well known "gun room" in stockport.

I would second these comments - used Branthwaites for many years and was never let down.   A can be a bit abrupt at times, but then so can many in this field😉

On 26/07/2021 at 20:35, Mr grumpy said:

Hopkins are very good,but john(one of the two brothers) has retired,so not sure how much is done in house now.

Branthwaites are also proper gunsmiths,who do the work in house.

I'd steer well clear of another well known "gun room" in stockport.

Its Peter that retired - John still runs the shop and does the work on the guns. 

17 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Thanks Gents,

I haven't been to Hopkins for years but it's the nearest to me being about 20 minutes away.  Looking at the opening hours, I get the impression that he's semi-retired.

Tim

They were always shut Mondays and Tuesdays, even before Peter retired - certainly for the 15 or so years I've been going.

I couldn't recommend them enough - they (John) do all the work on my guns and I'm fusy as hell. They have had three generations of my familys custom now - I cant given them any higher praise than that.

19 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Its Peter that retired - John still runs the shop and does the work on the guns. 

They were always shut Mondays and Tuesdays, even before Peter retired - certainly for the 15 or so years I've been going.

I couldn't recommend them enough - they (John) do all the work on my guns and I'm fusy as hell. They have had three generations of my familys custom now - I cant given them any higher praise than that.

Thanks for that. They did the barells on my 20 bore a few years ago.true gents and first class work

• 5 weeks later...