Goat curry.

samboy

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

I will second this

I used to work in Old Trafford. Just at the back of the cricket ground in an area called the Quadrant,  a large roundabout with a car park on it, and for a while there was a Jamaican run caravan "butty bar" on it that served the best curry goat I have tasted, once word got out there was a queue when he opened.

We had some goats a few years back. I killed Gary because he was far too tame and annoying. He was delicious. It's definitely its own flavour but we really enjoyed it. Unfortunately or fortunately a neighbour heard id killed Gary and offered us silly money for the remaining pair who were miles off killing weight so we sold them.

Wild goat is a large part of our diet. It can be tricky to get right in the kitchen. I'm surprised you described it as tasteless, the normal complaint is that it's too strong! For this reason, I don't take older animals, especially billies. As for texture, we cook it in olive oil in a slow cooker for 9 hours. It is literally falling off the bone after this time. 

6-2.jpg

Goat5.jpg

We used to keep a couple of goats (a Toggenburg and a British Alpine) as my lad suffered from asthma and I read that goats milk was good for that and eczema. I thought that it would be good for the kids to help out with the milking, mucking out etc. but the novelty soon wore off and I ended up doing the milking etc.every day. We did put one of them (goat that is :lol:) to a male goat and had two kids, one nanny and one male. I was told at the time not to keep the male, feed it up to about six months and then cull it, which we did. I must say that the meat when cooked in a slow cooker was delicious. Tried other cooking methods which didn`t turn out quite so well as the slow cooking. Never found it bland whatever method was used. Also never tried it curried, so cannot comment on that.

OB

Good curry goat is superb.  Goat meat in general really tasty,  braised leg with butter beans and chorizo is to die for.  I recall talking to the owner of the farm we get our goat meat from and she was saying that she was always glad when people bought goat for the first time, but was often disappointed that it was usually for curry goat and not a recipe that let the meat flavour speak for,itself.

in africa when we were on the lash on saturday night.......we used to drop off at the bar on a wednesday and order up a kid goat for saturday night ...chopped up and barbeed...and we would have that as snacks with african cucumber in salt water and hot chopped up chili...........that kid goat was superb every time as good as best welsh lamb...............

On 28/07/2021 at 11:20, Jonty said:

Good curry goat is superb.  Goat meat in general really tasty,  braised leg with butter beans and chorizo is to die for.  I recall talking to the owner of the farm we get our goat meat from and she was saying that she was always glad when people bought goat for the first time, but was often disappointed that it was usually for curry goat and not a recipe that let the meat flavour speak for,itself.

I sell 2 goats a month and it always disappoints me when people just buy it for curry! It's such a wonderful meat that is under used.

Looking at this months orders ( going out tomorrow) top seller is diced, then burgers ( Minted goat and dandelion) , then sausages ( herby is the top seller) 

I've found once people eat it in some like burgers or sausages,  then they start moving onto other dishes, sell very few roasting joints. 

8 hours ago, Big Mat said:

I sell 2 goats a month and it always disappoints me when people just buy it for curry! It's such a wonderful meat that is under used.

Looking at this months orders ( going out tomorrow) top seller is diced, then burgers ( Minted goat and dandelion) , then sausages ( herby is the top seller) 

I've found once people eat it in some like burgers or sausages,  then they start moving onto other dishes, sell very few roasting joints. 

Agree. It's a very underrated meat which is frustrating for me since most hunters in my neck of the woods will shoot as many as they can and leave them to rot in the bush. Criminal to my mind!