Making Bismuth shot at home

Yes i add 6% Tin (lead free solder) and it pours fine, its like making soup, in fact its easier than making soup.

I have tried using fabric softener as the coolant  but i found that just plain water works fine, i am going to pattern one of the cartridges loaded with and compare it with a shop bought lead cartridge of the same size and see if there is any major difference.

Now this has gotten me a thinking! The old "Browning Dispersante" and other similar purpose loadings used square shot. True! So in fact these may be in any case good if not better at 15 yards to 25 yards than pellets of more consistent roundness. A tip I was told by shotmakers was that if you tumble the resulting shot in a steel or iron tumbler then it does to an extent get more round. 

19 hours ago, aberisle said:

New post with edited video, i had to cut a chunk of  black screen out of the middle of it🙄

This is a question, I see that the distance from your melting pot and the water is short, does this not produce more misshapen shot?

I only ask as commercial shot is produced in a tower, the long drop allows the surface tension to form a rounder pellet as it falls through the air before it hits the water.

20 minutes ago, old'un said:

This is a question, I see that the distance from your melting pot and the water is short, does this not produce more misshapen shot?

I only ask as commercial shot is produced in a tower, the long drop allows the surface tension to form a rounder pellet as it falls through the air before it hits the water.

The short drop into a liquid is also an acceptable method of production. Indeed very few shot towers remain and today much commercially made shot is now made by a short drop method of some sort or other involving "rolling" the shot as per what is known as the Bleimester method that dates from the 1960s.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 27/07/2021 at 14:01, aberisle said:

From ebay here is a link to a place that sells it, the price goes up and down at the moment it is quite high, i have had it for as little as £17 per kilo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303968878148?hash=item46c5f4fe44:g:Sg0AAOSwlLdcgiko

Thanks for the link. Do you need anything for flux when you alloy with the tin at all? I have a tub that I use when casting lead which might work.

No i dont flux it with anything bismuth  is quite a clean metal you dont get the oxidation and dross you get when melting lead.

here is a link to the type of solder i have used.

https://www.somersetsolders.com/solid-core-solder-wire-lead-free-500g-p512?gclid=CjwKCAjwjJmIBhA4EiwAQdCbxsO8Z3SC6DVWWM_hv4sfY0HfUExB_foYJDbClM7GUcGMwahWucZRmBoC_1oQAvD_BwE