.22 ammo

Anybody noticed problems with .22 subsonic ammo , im urrently on the last of my eley 40g so am looking for a replacement , bought a box of eley 38g and the heads were all loose , tried them and they were **** , took the remainder back to the rfd , he said they had problems in the past but eley had assured them the problem was solved , he got a new box out , opened them and you could turn the heads round full circle , needless to say the whole batch are going back to eley , again , have also noticed loose heads in rws all be it not as bad as eley , he also said they had returned winchester subs due to loose  and damaged heads and casings

i have shot eley 40g for 15 years + and never had any loose heads , now it seems the norm 

They have sent a batch of those back as well that were damaged and had loose heads , but eley would seem to be the worst offender from what i can gather , this would seem to have happened since the change from the old 40g as there have been a lot of reports with accuracy problems with the 38g and s i said i have had some n rws ammo also

The first lot of 38 grain (white box) eley’s I had were carp. I bought 200 more recently and they’ve been ok. Having said that, the sk’s have been brilliant but can’t get them any more. I’ve got some cci subs to try, I used to use them years ago and they were good, but not as accurate as the green box eley’s. Why did eley change a winner?

Been using Eley subs since I bought the BRNO as that's what previous owner had recommended, few years later not accurate with these so moved onto Winchester subs, ok for a long time then again so I'm using CCI standard at present and they are bang on, when these don't work out, it will probably be my fault.

5 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

The first lot of 38 grain (white box) eley’s I had were carp. I bought 200 more recently and they’ve been ok. Having said that, the sk’s have been brilliant but can’t get them any more. I’ve got some cci subs to try, I used to use them years ago and they were good, but not as accurate as the green box eley’s. Why did eley change a winner?

"Simply because the "bean counters" always win?

8 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

To save on lead thats all i can think , to me they have gone from a premier ammo to the third division 

I have used 40gr Eley subs in my Cz452 22lr for the last 10 or more years without problem,but had to buy 38gr last time as 40 gr no longer made.

Had many rounds go supersonic with these 38 gr and problems obviously with accuracy. Never noticed loose heads.

I now need to get more ammo and am at a loss as to which ones to get. Reluctant to get various test ammo but looks like I may have to.

57 minutes ago, aldivalloch said:

What's all this stuff about "heads"? The things poking out of the brass are "bullets". "Heads" are the round things on the ends of our necks, which handily accommodate eyes, ears, mouths, hats, etc.. 😀

Technical term , short for headusleadusbullettuslooseus 👍

8 hours ago, Longbower said:

E;ey40g were fantastic . 38g less so. Ive gone to CCI 40g Subs , not as accurate as the Eley 40's , but miles better than the Eley 38g's.

Totley agree with this, have done exactly the same thing but cci have poppers and crackers sooo what next 🤔

In my ruger 10/22 I found the eley 38g were the least accurate & also had 7 that failed to eject. I never had that problem with the old 40g so decided to do an accuracy test & found them to be the worst out of them, cci, rws & Norma. The Norma rounds I found to be the best & they had a real waxy type lube to them. May have to try & find some Winchesters to try out.

Edited by Mullard83
added another round I forgot to mention I tried.

I have some norma to try , they do seem a bit waxy but they are made by rws so that would explain it as i found the rws to be caked in the stuff , tried cci a while back , decent enough but very loud compared to the rest and as said not as accurate as the old eley 40g

On 28/07/2021 at 21:08, aldivalloch said:

What's all this stuff about "heads"? The things poking out of the brass are "bullets". "Heads" are the round things on the ends of our necks, which handily accommodate eyes, ears, mouths, hats, etc.. 😀

Exactly.  Some semi woke person came up with the term and now everyone thinks that way.  They are bullets and when in a case with powder and primer they become a cartridge.

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Exactly.  Some semi woke person came up with the term and now everyone thinks that way.  They are bullets and when in a case with powder and primer they become a cartridge.

I doubt it's down to that. I may have occasionally used the term because the place I've bought bullets from uses the term 'bullet head'. https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/bullet-heads.html Probably more down to the fact people use the term bullet to refer to a cartridge.

Just going through the same process as down to my last couple of boxes of 40gr Eley's

used the SK subs a couple of years ago and they were better than Eley but no longer made in Subs, the SK Standard plus 40gr velocity are 1073 f/s with 26" Barrel so should be slower in shorter 16" barrels, bought some a while back and were accurate but went back to Eley when I managed to pick another batch of 40gr up.

just pulled a box out to try later in week

Tried the norma this morning , great 60yd group , then all over the place out to 100yds , sk next , just had time to put the sk over the chrony , standard plus out of a 16” barrel 1067 , match plus 1073

Edited by telf