Winchester 6500 loose

Joe180

True Winchester 101 series shotguns, of which the 6500 was one of the last models, were designed and built to open and close with minimal or no friction at all. So they did not need to wear in. This is completely different from the ‘feeling’ we became used to when handling new Browning and Miroku shotguns. Another feature we forgot about is that the top lever in 101 guns is in central position when closed, even in a new gun. So this position cannot be read as a sign of wear or the action not closing tight.
To find out if a Winnie action is loose, just blacken the barrel slot in which the locking plate engages with a black marker. Then open and close the gun a few times. Now you will be able to see how far the locking plate engages in de barrel slot. If the black is only partly removed from the slots, the action is not loose and needs no tightening. By design it is almost impossible for the forend to shoot loose on these guns. Compare a 101 forend to that of a Browning or a Miroku and you will see why.

Edited by reindeer

Another feature we forgot about is that the top lever in 101 guns is in central position when closed, even in a new gun. So this position cannot be read as a sign of wear or the action not closing tight.

Having owned at least eight 101 variants, I have to disagree with the top lever position. 

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Having owned at least eight 101 variants, I have to disagree with the top lever position. 

Yes never heard of that one they are the same as other guns as far as I am aware and I must have had 20 ish ,most of mine have been over to the right and centralising as they wear.

Although I have never had a new one to be fair ,but then nobody has in the last 35 or so years .

I own a ‘new’ one, that was in a gun collection until a few years ago. It is a Supergrade model with ventilated side ribs and raised action panels, so similar to the 6500 and 8500 models, which were the final models in production back in the late eighties. When I bought it it was NIB, and seemed unfired, which can be judged from the jewelling on the barrel flats and face. From the first shot fired, the gun opens without any friction or need to wear in and the top lever is in central position on a closed gun. Even with the forend off, the barrels sit tight in the action, without any play. 

I bought my 6500 in the eighties in Cheltenham on my way to the Winchester clubman, it’s been a fantastic gun, I have killed and smoked loads of game and clays with it , it’s the best gun I have owned and handled that’s why I would never sell it.

If there is no lateral or vertical movement with fore end off wouldn't worry about trying to tighten anything as about only thing they could do to tighten opening is build up fore end to put more friction on reciever face- which will just add wear, the 101 line of guns are looser opening compared to guns like miroku or beretta, beretta sits on ejector springs when opening, and miroku action gets resistance from it's trap door design, 101s have nothing after top lever is opened, so if no barrel play just enjoy her mate, 6500 is an absolute classic have a f/c version myself

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...